• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tech Check

What sort of tech do you own/use?

Yora

Legend
Why XBox and not PS and Nintendo Something?

Also, it is missing "none of these" which is really important for this kind of poll.

Dykstrav

Adventurer
I mostly use a desktop computer, I have a laptop computer that I use when I'm traveling. I don't really like to use the laptop for day-to-day tasks though. Most of the time we leave it in the kitchen to play music, watch shows, or get recipes and whatnot while cooking.

I have a smartphone on a prepaid service, but I rarely use it to access the internet. Tiny keys and a tiny screen make it more frustrating than helpful to get online with, so I usually use it only to actually talk to people. I do occasionally take a picture with it when I don't care about quality.

I pretty much despise anything touchscreen, so I'm not terribly interested in a tablet computer or a mobile Apple product of any sort.

SteelDraco

First Post
I have a desktop PC that functions as the brain of my media center, an XBox and a Wii plugged in at the same place (though both are rarely used these days - the PC is powerful enough that it functions as my gaming machine as well), an Android tablet I use for web browsing around the house and for running game (using Evernote, pictures, and I'm working on music). I also have anG iPhone, though if I was doing it again, I'd go with Android instead. I also have a laptop that I picked up when I realized that typing on the tablet was always going to suck - though I don't regret it, I just started writing longer things.

Girlfriend has a Windows laptop and an Android phone, and wants an iPad.

Ahnehnois

First Post
None of the above. I have a five-year-old desktop and a basic cell phone. No laptops, tablets, smartphones, or anything particularly smart. I'm old-school I guess, as being one of the last people who remembers what life was like before the internet, I like to talk to people face to face and keep information in my head.

I like curry, but being a vegetarian I steer clear of jello.

Janx

Hero
might have been better to phrase the technology in categies:

telephone
dumb cellphone
smart phone
tablet (ipad/androied, etc)
eBook reader (kindle, etc)
desktop computer
laptop computer
manual typewriter
electric typewriter
abacus
calculator
cybernetic implants
broadband internet connection
cable TV
HD TV
vinyl records
8-track tapes
cassette tapes
CD music
MP3/digital based music collection
VHS movie collection
DVD based movie collection
Blu-Ray movie collection
VHS player
DVD player
Blu-ray Player
Streaming move/tv service (netflux, hulu, etc)

I have no clue what all that has to do with gaming, but going by categories might avoid missing your objective to identify what tech people use. For instance, I own a Sony Reader, not a Kindle. Since you name products specifically, I didn't check it.

MacMathan

Explorer
Hey all thanks for replying. I apologize for the weakness of my poll-fu. I should have definitely included linux and a none of the above option.

If this would be more appropriate in the Media Lounge please move it Mods, or close it and I can start a new one there whichever is easier for yawl.

Jared Rascher

Explorer
When I run Rogue Trader, I bring all of my books on my laptop in PDF form. Same for Pathfinder.

When I was playing Pathfinder, I only brought my character PDF and the SRD reference App that I had on my tablet, my dice, and a tiny little notebook for notes and such.

When I have run Pathfinder, same as Rogue Trader, with all of the books on my lap top, my GM screen, and my tablet to use for my die roller (much quicker to tap 10d6 than to get 10 six sided dice out, roll them, and count them up).

I also tend to read most of my rulebooks on my tablet in PDF form, because I can take them with and read them at lunchtime and when I'm out and about when I couldn't lug a full sized book with me.

Stormonu

Legend
I have a couple of things listed but I don't use them for gaming; a trend I hope continues.

Lanefan

Any particular reason why? I'd be hard-pressed to manage my game these days without my iPad and smartphones are a great way to "pass notes" without drawing attention.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Under "Other tech", I have an iPod Touch.

I also noted that I own a LG Android phone. Just got it about a month ago. However, I'm this close to ditching the thing. Despite its formidable technical specs, the thing has been a pain to work with. Some of this has to do with some genuine malfunctions- overheating, poor/tricky charging, undependable interaction with certain websites (like this one), etc.- some has to do with my annoyance with the differences in the Android and iOS ways of dipping things.

Part, though, is my dislike of smartphones in general. IOW, when I say I'm close to ditching it, I'm not necessarily going to get an iPhone or any other smartphone to replace it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads