• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Tech in DnD; What should be included and how much is too much? (+)

As for anachronisms, it matters if it seems it is intentional and some though is put into it, or does it just come across as the writer being clueless. It low key bother me how many fantasy settings just lump together fashions and technologies from antiquity to the Victorian era without much rhyme or reason.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
ALL OF IT.

Just not all at once. Usually. But sometimes that's okay, too.

I'm actually tinkering with a Gunslinger class for A5e right now, riffing off Pathfinder 1e's Gunslinger. Would it be "Anachronistic" for the 'Time Period' of the Elissar setting? Probably. So what? There's also Dragons and Magic so 'Realism' went out the window and the idea of limiting things to technological 'realism' just feels like a -huge- waste of time.

Send Frodo to Mount Doom with a Musket. It'll even the fight between a Hobbit and an Orc and if he rolls a nat 1 to create a backfire, halfling luck kicks in and he gets to reroll! How fun is that?

GuyBoy

Hero
My general favourite to DM is probably early medieval, with a tech level of around 1066, so ruling out any form of gunpowder as well as plate armour and similar.
That said, I’ll happily play in Victoriana settings and in the pseudo-Renaissance of Warhammer Fantasy.

Clint_L

Hero
ALL OF IT.

Just not all at once. Usually. But sometimes that's okay, too.

I'm actually tinkering with a Gunslinger class for A5e right now, riffing off Pathfinder 1e's Gunslinger. Would it be "Anachronistic" for the 'Time Period' of the Elissar setting? Probably. So what? There's also Dragons and Magic so 'Realism' went out the window and the idea of limiting things to technological 'realism' just feels like a -huge- waste of time.

Send Frodo to Mount Doom with a Musket. It'll even the fight between a Hobbit and an Orc and if he rolls a nat 1 to create a backfire, halfling luck kicks in and he gets to reroll! How fun is that?
I had a player use Matt Mercer's gunslinger fighter subclass off DDB, and I have some of those weapons in my current campaign being used by an artificer. I like that the weapons give the artificer a power boost when needed - for example, they just got Bad News at level 9.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
i think it's also interesting to look at how the existence of both magic and tech would render an area of advancement in the other obsolete, like if enchanted crossbows exist will guns be developed? probably not, but gunpowder bombs/grenades probably still will as there's no easilly acessable magic equivilant, as might heavy artilery cannons and such if it's more efficient to enchant smaller weapons, and just because flying airships exist that doesn't mean trains wouldn't also be usefull.

Laurefindel

Legend
Not sure about what they “should” be, but I know what I’d like them to be for my (mostly medieval-ish) campaigns. My ideal levels of techs are all over the place: I don’t mind anachronism when compared to real-life eras. In true Tolkien style, technology levels are relatively static, with efforts of industrialisation stunted by the relative ease with which the same results can be accomplished with magic.

Hygiene - I prefer modern understanding of hygiene, not going into the specific knowledge of viruses and whatnot, but enough to keep the population clean and (relatively) healthy, and birthing relatively safe.

Metallurgy - Smiths are capable of creating high-quality steal to forge 16th century weaponry and full plate armour, but mastery of metallurgy is not equal across the world. Much depends on specific mineral deposits and closely-guarded guild secrets. A lot of my « magical » weapons are just that: high-quality steal and workmanship. Rapiers are just a weapon stat: light swords made with good steal made for 1-handed use but without the 17th century aesthetic.

Mechanical Engineering - Simple machines such as block-and-tackle and basic gear mechanisms are well known and used by artisans and peasantry alike, even among archaic humanoid civilisations. Basic water pumps exist but complex hydraulic mechanisms don’t (although Dwarves are more advanced in that domain). Engines and self-propelled vehicles are inexistant with the exception of sail-boats, with the most advanced seagoing civilisation reaching early age-of-sails technology. Mills are about the most advanced, widely used mechanical structures.

Civil Engineering - Absence of concrete limits the scope of constructions, with magic sometimes used as a replacement to create lasting aqueducts and other “marvels” of engineering equivalent to Roman constructions.

Optics - high-quality glass allows for a 19th century prescription glasses, telescopes, lighthouse lenses etc. Most windows feature glass panes, even in smaller villages.

Agriculture - Still heavily dependant on manual labour but with a high yield, allowing the most advanced regions to achieve a 2:1 or even 1:1 rural/urban ratio with magical help and fantasy beasts of burden etc. This is often a big change to classical D&D settings that aren’t even remotely close to that.

Cannons and Firearms - Doesn’t exist, just because I don’t want it to. Historically, firearms and medieval combat coexisted for centuries but here they don’t.

Politics - Mostly feudal structure without the excess of aristocracy and much more flexible social mobility. Rural areas are owned by local lords and ladies, with peasantry closer to employees than serfs. Judicial system is not separated and the lords still hold judicial, legislative and executive powers through a complex systems of vassalship and legislative charts. Sometimes, an organization (such as the Lords Alliance in north-west Forgotten Realms) takes lieu of a king/emperor, or a local lord.

I could go on, but these are the basics. Then we switch to another campaign in Eberron and many things change…

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
My homebrew (still in the works) draw more inspiration from the Late Bronze Age and Early Iron Age, but with Late Medieval/Early Renaissance level of technology. Guns are fairly limited within the setting, with the primary users being the dominant empire.

Incenjucar

Legend
I prefer to be closer to the bronze age than the industrial age. Modrons and clockwork golems are about at the top of the tech scale, and full plate is a Big Deal even if it's just mundane steel.

My tech is roughly early 17th Century with some additions and subtractions.

There are firearms, "runelocks", that use bluepowder rather than blackpowder. The main difference being that it doesn't support its own combustion, so grenades are the biggest bang you can get. No cannons or bombs.

Magic is personal and artisanal, technology universal and producible. One does not inherently restrict the other; magic is faster but tech is teachable.

There are pockets of super-science from a fallen age. Usually indistinguishable from magic, but not susceptible to dispel magic, &c.

Coal powered mekanika, "wheelbows", and other clockwork-y things exist, along more "mad science" principles. Alchemy is relatively common.

Mass destruction is limited to pre-WWI levels. You want to erase that city? Gather an army 10,000 strong post-investiture and you can do it. That said, there are legends of things similar to the Rain of Colorless Fire, but those are narrative, end of game things.

Zardnaar

Legend
Whatever appropriate for the campaign naybe with occasional anachronism.

I don't usually have magitech en masse that duplicates modern conveniences.

Remove ads