• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Techniques for running a predominately urban campaign

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
been thinking on what is ssaid here as a whole.

here is my thinking:
Guard is only there to prevent infractions on the nobles and friends of the ruling class.

peasents/seerfs are pretty much on their own.

Guard is there tp keep the law. by what ever means possible. the innocent are quite often thrown in jail by accident, and sometimes by "accident", and are guilty until proven otherwise. ir the serfs don't like it they can find another lord to live for, if they can get a letter of lawful dismissal to do that.

Dark? yes. Factual? In theory, yes. But that is just theory. With out a time machine it is impossible to prove.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Guard is there tp keep the law. by what ever means possible. the innocent are quite often thrown in jail by accident, and sometimes by "accident", and are guilty until proven otherwise. ir the serfs don't like it they can find another lord to live for, if they can get a letter of lawful dismissal to do that.

Dark? yes. Factual? In theory, yes. But that is just theory. With out a time machine it is impossible to prove.

Don't need a time machine - that's how the police operates in much of the world today.

In fact lots of immigrants from poor nations have difficulties grasping the idea that the police might actually be there to help them if someone committed a crime against them...

Barastrondo

First Post
Another note that occurs to me: When I'm planning out a city bare-bones style, I try to come up with a small list of principal intrigues. These are basic conflicts going on within the city, that could theoretically get the players involved at any point. I aim for one intrigue per "sphere of interest" that players might have: military, religious, high politics, etc. The more I want to remind players that this is a fantasy world, the more fantastic intrigues I add (like "hidden supernatural threat/monster hunter" or "sorcerous rivalries"). This can mostly depend on your players: if you have a wizard, think about arcane intrigues. Fighters may be drawn to a more military intrigue, and so on.

So for instance, when I'm planning a trip to a city that's one part Renaissance Italy but with a dose of "creepy almost-Ravenloft province with a Great House run by openly accepted necromancers," the list might be something like:

Arcane Politics: The necromantic House's leader refuses to die, and three potential successors are getting kind of tired of waiting.

High Politics: The Prince has a secret, tied to the necromantic House. The three would-be successors are vying for the Prince's support and favor.

Great Houses: One of the houses is covertly trying to bring an assassin's guild under their controls so they can solidify their power.

Religion: One god's church sponsors an order of religious monster-hunter templars, who have recently suffered a betrayal from within that's causing some crisis of faith and internal schisms.

Military: There are rumors of a secret army of undead soldiers being formed, which makes the living soldiers nervous about job security.

Organized Crime: A formerly tiny gang is gaining power rapidly by selling out curses-for-hire that have infernally alarming effects.

Monsters & Supernatural: The necromantic House despises ghouls and tries to root them out, but a wily ghoul lord is experimenting on creating a form of infected half-ghoul that could pass for human and infiltrate other power groups, eventually bringing down the House.

So that's a few minutes' work. Now, note that this is not all stuff I intend to deliver to the players as exposition, particularly if they don't ask: this is meant to be existing conflicts that I can mine for rumors, story hooks and the like. If the players start using Streetwise to gather information, or call on contacts in the appropriate social strata, they can find out about this stuff. If they're feeling passive that night, then I can have someone approach them to get them involved in whatever plot I choose at the moment: the cleric PC is approached by two different factions of the monster-hunting templars trying to win his support, for instance, or the House that's trying to control the assassins' guild hires the PCs to pull a raid against a suspected assassins' safehouse and steal a specific lockbox.

If you feel you need more specific details, you can spend more time fleshing out these intrigues and hooks. But this is the kind of thing that can help you really get a handle on your city as a living, organic entity. And once you're comfortable with the idea, you can get your players comfortable with it as well.

Malanath

Explorer
I didn't have time to read all the replies, so hopefully I'm not simply rehashing what's already been suggested. I hope this helps.

1. How to stop the PCs from going to the authorities for everything?

There are a number of ways to do this. Here are a few:

A) The authorities can't handle the problem directly, and as a result have actually hired the PC's to handle it. This can be due to political or practical reasons. For example, it's a highly sensitive matter dealing with someone who is very powerful and influential, and thus they're utilizing outside help to avoid political problems falling onto the shoulders of the guard. Another example, it's something FAR more powerful than the authorities can handle and that's why they need adventurers. Some other examples, the city is crime infested, there are riots going on, there is a plague, etc. What it ultimately boils down to is that the authorities can't deal with it, and that's why the PC's have to do it, most often with the authorities permission (though not necessarily always).

B) The authorities are corrupt. Not all of them have to be corrupt, of course, but the point is to make it so the players don't know who to trust. They can even have someone on the inside that they think they can trust (whether they can or not is entirely up to you), but like with A above the insider can't really help because of the corruption.

C) The authorities don't believe the players. Maybe the authorities don't like adventurers who come to town causing trouble. Maybe they're dismissive and don't believe the players when they run to them to inform them about the evil cult in their midst. After all, the PC's just arrived and the authorities live there - it's their job to root that stuff out. Surely they would have discovered it before the PC's. It can also be used in conjunction with B.

D) The PC's are working for someone who wants to keep their business on the down low. Maybe they're handling a sensitive matter for someone important, or maybe they're carrying out illegal work. Either way, going to the authorities isn't really an option.

E) The authorities will want what the players want. If the players are after a powerful artifact that could be useful to the authorities, then the authorities themselves might want it. Keep in mind that even if the authorities don't want it themselves those in power might use them to try and get it.

F) There is no central authority for the city. Perhaps it's run by a merchants council, and the wealthiest merchants of the city each employ mercenaries which double as city guards. This makes it harder to easily go to one or the other as there is no clear analogue to the modern day police officer.

G) The players are criminals and / or they've been framed for a crime they didn't commit. Perhaps they were poking their nose somewhere they weren't supposed to be, and now someone in power is trying to silence them for good. Either way, the authorities won't be of any help - they're out to get them.

H) All of the above and more. The above just scratched the surface.

2. Details, Details, Details -- my brain will fry trying to keep track of names, personalities, locations, and their relative positions to one another, and so on.

Short of extensive note-taking and maps, anyone have any other suggestions that have worked for them?

Rough outlines and learn to wing it. If you know your players are going to be in a city for awhile, then it's important to know some details about the city. That means notes. You can either come up with all the information yourself or use an already designed city. For example, you don't have to play in the Forgotten Realms to use Waterdeep. You can use it as a template and then make radical changes to make it your own, and unrecognizable to players who might be familiar with it.

That's generally how I handle things. I get the basic idea for the city in mind, then I search around for useful material that I could "borrow". Even if I don't use any of the material it will often inspire me with an idea or two. It doesn't even have to be a city for D&D.

You're going to want to start with the size of the city, the type of government, its general location, and culture. For example, a city that is near or in a desert will have special concerns: it's obviously hot so they're likely going to want to wear lose clothes, and they're going to need a way to get access to water.

Just running off this idea here is what I come up with just off the top of my head:

The city is a Magocracy run by sorcerers. Centuries ago a powerful blue dragon had a cult that worshiped him as a god, and he led this cult into the desert to be close to his lair. This dragon impregnated a select number of women among his cult. His half-dragon children displayed a high affinity toward arcane magic - often becoming sorcerers. Nearly 175 years ago the dragon was slain, though this information is not known by the people of the city as it was covered up at the time. They believe their dragon god ascended to the heavens and will someday return to them. The city is divided up into a caste system. At the top are the sorcerers, in particular those who have descended from the dragon. They are privileged, bordering on sacred, and akin to nobility in other lands. They serve not only as sorcerers that are nobles but also the priests for their (false) deity. Their ranking among their fellows is determined by the amount of talent they show in sorcery. The more powerful they are the higher up the ranks they rise. The most elite lead the faith, and among them nine are chosen to form the leadership of the city - which is similar to a council. Non-Sorcerers also have their own castes. Slaves are permitted and they are the lowest caste. The city is located along a desert coastline, and though the sea is extremely salty the sorcerers use a secret arcane ritual to purify water for the city. The ritual is considered divine, handed down to them by their dragon god. There is no central authority, each sorcerer is allowed to employ guards, and these guards are expected to enforce the laws of the city. It is illegal to kill a sorcerer by spilling his blood, and thus the most common form of execution is asphyxiation or poisoning.

These are just some thoughts that form off the top off my head. From there you branch outward and build onto it. You have the leaders of the city. Who are they? There are normally multiple power groups within a city, what are they? In this case, I'll say that the city is primarily a trade city - being on the coast and all - and thus there is a strong merchant caste which has political influence.

Create a number of factions within the city, and give them opposing goals. If an NPC is worthy of being given a name, then that NPC needs goals of their own.

Finally, when you have a rough outline - I'd say two to five pages is enough (though its completely possible to do it with less) - you need to stop building. You need to come up with the adventure hooks for the PC's. Why are they there? If they're already existing characters then how can you establish connections for them within the city?

From there you do the same thing - you start with the seed of an idea and build on it. Enough where you can have roughly one adventure ready to use right out the gate, and the first adventure should be primarily to introduce the PC's to the city and get them invested in it.

3. Mass NPC conversations. In a major urban environment there will eventually be points where lots of NPCs are gathered and discussing things (i.e. The PCs walking into a merchant council and overhear them talking about their latest problem that is blocking trade, etc). But I feel awkward when I'm acting out 2 or more NPCs talking to each other because it turns the players into an audience rather than participants.

When handling large NPC groups I find it is best to use a form of shorthand. The PC's don't need to know every word that is said, only the important details. An example:

"As you enter the council chambers it is packed tight. Every seat is taken and you need to stand near the back. There is a great deal of tension in the room, most of the faces you can see vary from grim to angry, all eyes seem to be focused on one man at the front. He is a stout and balding, though still clearly in his prime. Dressed in the plain clothes of a commoner, he is shouting angrily and loudly.

Bald Man: "...your tariffs will be the death of us! The ships won't dock! They sit out in the harbor in protest!"

Councilman: "We understand your concerns, Gregor, but we must collect taxes. The city has been in debt ever since -"

Crowd: "There is hissing and booing from multiple people in the crowd. Someone shouts a profane insult. Another man stands up and spits in the general direction of the council before turning to leave - only to be arrested by the guard. The tension in the room rises, becoming nearly riotous..."

So forth and so on... At any point in the exchange the PC's have the opportunity to jump in and give their opinion. Perhaps they support the Council, or perhaps they don't - either way they've learned the city is in debt, and that provides useful information.

4. I am not a good spontaneous speaker for NPCs. With so many NPCs and so many possibilities of who and what the PCs can discuss, I'll have a hard time coming up with responses on the fly to PC questions/conversations. And, the people I tend to game with are generally better improvisational (sp?) speakers than I am.

This can be a bit difficult, but this is also where it helps to have a good understanding of your city. Having a notebook or campaign journal is very useful as well. Try to determine what your PC's are interested in doing and learning about. You can then focus your building efforts in that direction and be more prepared before hand.

5. Spatial considerations - combat areas simply need to be larger than is convenient. In a dense urban area, I'd imagine the interiors are smaller, leading to either really cramped combat areas, or insides that are bigger than the outside, or every building just has some basement/underground type area as a default standard.

I guess I could just make underground areas a default standard building feature... or if the city is specifically defined as being magical perhaps interior space is magically larger. Or are either of those ideas just too weird?

It depends on the city. I don't use miniatures so I can't really help you there. However, I will point something out: witnesses. It's not like a dungeon crawl there are people pretty much everywhere. I also want to point out some of the useful improvisational items that the players can use. For example, let's say a tavern brawl breaks out. Well the players could flip over a table and take cover behind it. Or they could use a chair as an improvisational shield. Or perhaps they use an ale mug as an improvisational weapon. Things like that. Players may tend to use such tactics since the area is easier to visualize in their minds because it is more familiar to them. After all, who really knows what they could reasonably have access to in a dungeon?

6. Prisoners - when it's monsters it's easier to say kill the enemy in combat. when it's humanoids, it is more likely to result in the players (via the PCs) having drawn out discussions in every combat as to whether to kill or take prisoners. And while I can appreciate the role-play aspect of it, if the party doesn't have a general consensus it will just turn into a conversation that gets repeated way too often for my liking...

Is that something I should just try and setup/get consensus on in the campaign start-up or really just let it evolve on it's own?

This is really a group dynamic issue. It also depends on the situation. There are also legal concerns, after all, the PC's can't just go around killing random people generally speaking. All of that needs to be factored in, and made clear to the characters - that makes such decisions easier.

However, if the players decide to do something like take prisoners, don't spend a huge amount of time on that unless its necessary. Just hit the fast forward button and have the players hand them over to whomever, and be rewarded properly - giving the players a summary of what happened. I'd only play out the scene if the group REALLY wants to do it. Generally, though, when someone wants to play it out they just want to ask a certain question or something - you can just tell them what they were told. Don't let yourself get bogged down.

All that said, maybe I should just avoid having such a strong city-based campaign since I know it is a weak point for me. And instead stick with what I can do better (and leave the cities for side-treks rather than the main focal setting) ?

No, I think you should do one. It doesn't have to be a long campaign, but it doesn't hurt to try it. After all, you can't improve if you don't practice.

kitsune9

Adventurer
Actually, I'd like to offer some other tips and opinions if I may on running an urban campaign.

1. Never start the adventure in a tavern
Taverns are such a common trope for every adventure. How many of our adventures begin with, "You all are sitting in a tavern drinking, what do you do?" There are several things you can do to kick off each adventure:
a. Start the adventure in the middle of a scene. For example, start the adventure with the PC's in the middle of the night in a graveyard where they took a job to capture or deal with graverobbers. However, the adventure that will unfold is not really about dealing with the graverobbers, but the PC's encountering something else that leads to your urban adventure. Now your players may balk at being railroaded into the graverobbing job, but that's simply an opening scene. How many of us have watched a fantasy movie where the hero starts off as a guard for a caravan or some kind of low job only for the opening scene to get the hero to do something "bigger"? Same approach here.
b. If your players will really give you crap about the middle of the scene, then simply have the action come to them when they are not expecting. The opening scenes are at the market, at night on the way to a tavern, the PC's receiving a note to pick up a package in a warehouse at night. My personal example is that I started my current campaign with the PC's in a jail cell where they were sentenced to death; however the duchess offered them a chance of a pardon in exchange for their services.

2. Start out small with your city and then slowly expand as you progress. In my earlier post, I stated that come up with only six locations that represented who rules the city, two powers in the city, and three useful contacts that can be used in everyday situations (like a merchant). Keep looping your player characters back to these locations so that 99% of their needs is taken care of. As your campaign progresses, you'll slowly expand by adding a new contact, a new power of the city, a hidden guild, etc. Some of these guys will be one-shots, others will recur for a couple of adventures, and some will show up for the rest of the remaining campaign.

3. Mitigate your players' attempt the use the NPCs to get free stuff, aid, etc. Your players are going to run to the authorities when they discover the bad guys' lair instead of exploring it themselves. Your players are going to tell the LG priest that they need to get all the free healing potions, spells, holy water, etc. because the fate of the world hangs in the balance. Your players are going to tell the innkeeper that they just saved the city (maybe rightly so), so they are entitled to free room and board and drinks. This happens. You can mitigate this by providing support, but "supplies are limited". The priest tells the PC's that another group of adventures clean out his stock on holy water and that he's currently making potions for a third group of adventures. The PC's need to get in line. When your PC's do strongarm your NPC's into providing aid (for free), take that out of potential treasure that you'll reward later. Another way is that "what goes around comes around". The PC's went to the priest for aid and got away with a dozen healing potions. After the adventure is over, the PC's encounter that priest who knows they were successful in their adventure and the treasure they hauled. He'll ask the PC's to assist him in providing funds for him to help him assist the poor and diseased (which equals the amount of the healing potions they got away with for free). If the PC's balk, they've burned that bridge with the temple and other allied-aligned faiths will hear how cheap the PC's are. The PC's will also find out that the church has powerful allies in terms of nobles, guilds, etc. who may pay a visit to the PC's to "help out". This kind of aid can be applied to merchants (we need these thunderstones!), nobles (we need money for supplies!), authorities (we need backup!), and so on.

Another way is that for every real adventuring group out there, there are three con artists out there who slap on some armor, carry a weapon, and impersonate heroes. The priests, nobles, guilds, etc. have been conned before. They won't be so stupid a second or third time. So when the PC's come to them for aid, they better have some strong evidence for anyone to lend them assistance.

4. Mitigate the spinning of wheels. When I write an urban adventure, I have a flow chart. To avoid railroading, I make the flowchart where each scene can loop to other scenes so the players have a choice as to where they can go next. I'll have maybe one true red herring, because I know the PC's will create more than necessary. The last thing I want the players to do is go to a starting location and just "have them figure it out". A lot of players approach problems very differently. If there is a murder investigation, one player is going to want to talk to random people as witnesses, another is going to search for tracks, another is going to the tavern to go drink, another is going to the authorities to help with the investigation, and another will just hang out and do nothing. When you create the scene, create the clues that the PC's will have clear choices to do X, Y, or Z, and if the PC's want to go "off-map", get those done as quickly as possible so you can get the PC's back to the action.

5. Get mundane crap done as quickly as possible. If you're the kind of DM who loves to roleplay out a shopping experience and your players like it, go for it, but if you want to get the adventure going, then all mundane / non-sequential aspects of the adventure should get hand-waived as quickly as possible. One of the biggest things that I always saw in my campaigns is that when the PC's get into town, they split up and do their own thing. They don't even role play out of how to get in touch with each other until the next adventure. One player wants to go a tavern to go drinking, another to an inn, another to a temple, another to the market, and so on.

Have fun and happy gaming!

Remove ads