• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Technological Advancement and World Peace in DnD Campaign.How would/have you done it?

krupintupple

First Post
Viktyr Korimir is funny.

But seriously, could I ask why this is an imperative within your campaign? I'm just really curious, and your reply will probably help me formulate my own reply. My thought would be that, if much of the risk of dungeon crawling (let alone life) is removed, mightn't there be the chance that players may get bored, when they realize that some of the biggest obstacles (character death, loss of wealth and magic) have been rendered moot by some highly advanced arcanotech?

a-d

First Post
krupintupple said:
Viktyr Korimir is funny.

But seriously, could I ask why this is an imperative within your campaign? I'm just really curious, and your reply will probably help me formulate my own reply. My thought would be that, if much of the risk of dungeon crawling (let alone life) is removed, mightn't there be the chance that players may get bored, when they realize that some of the biggest obstacles (character death, loss of wealth and magic) have been rendered moot by some highly advanced arcanotech?

Can't say with absolute certainty why.
Ego? Cause world peace, rule the world, poh-tay-toh pah-tah-toh.
Because it's what you do? Rising to meet the new scale in power whatever it may be?
Practice? For the day I stop sitting around ignoring the potential anyone with a brain has to take over the universe, force back what gods might exist, crack the shell of our existence to free it from whatever greater forces might exist while attempting to follow the a set of rules that will benefit everyone instead of indulging my whims of revenge and destruction?

At the end, the most likely answer seems to simply be that I've goals and am hungry for the power needed to achieve them.
After all, what greater power is there than a civilization of minds who've realized their potential access to infinite power all working together in a million different directions?

Even if only following in their wake as they bore through all the old limitations I'd reach my own objectives much faster than working alone or as part of a single nation.

Ahhh. It's because I'm lazy. Make a self-improving system and it can only accelerate you to what you want.

Because I'm power hungry.
And it's so much easier to gain power without having to take the responsibility as well when you improve the environment around you so that people are willing to help and improve each others abilities and knowledge due to long-term enlightened self-interest.

Last edited:

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
*Pulls out a chipped diamond*
Here you go, 500 gp please.
Yeah, that's pretty much how it would go. It could be ugly & broken & dirty, but if I paid 500gp for it, that's how much the diamond is worth. That's generally how the D&D economy works.

Unless the DM is a jerk.

krupintupple

First Post
Can't say with absolute certainty why.
Ego? Cause world peace, rule the world, poh-tay-toh pah-tah-toh.
Because it's what you do? Rising to meet the new scale in power whatever it may be?

O....k?

Yeah, I'm still lost. How about this then: are you a player, who is attempting to arcanotech the internet into your campaign, or, are you the DM who is attempting to set up a post-violent campaign, and are wondering how you're going to do so in a fully believable way for your players? If you're the former, your DM may just quash it be means of rule zero, whereas if you're the latter, mayhaps you could hand-waive it with a cryptic line like "...well, the elder beings that inhabited the universe that existed before this one used a strange, inconceivable and incomprehensible form of magic to engineer everything that our life is, or could be, past, present and future."

Or, I've just really misunderstood everything to a rather large and silly degree...

Last edited:

Remove ads