Technology is not the problem, protecting creators is

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
This is incorrect.

As an example - back in grad school, one of the thesis topics I almost took up was using what we'd now call "AI" to simulate high-energy particle physics data to use it to tune detectors and data analysis programs at particle accelerators. Nothing political about it.

The currently discussed uses of "AI" are political, but not all uses are.
Ok, technically correct, with regard to my second sentence that you quoted but this conversation and most current conversations about Al are political.
One could say that there are two conversations, one relating to data ownership. A conversation that I believe we (as in society) should have had years ago when "Big Data" and algorithm driven commerce emerged years ago. To an extent some of the conversation about who owns the training data is related to that.
The other conversation is what the proper response is to social and economic dislocation driven by rapid adoption of automation. With the potential for another conversation about what is human social worth in a post scarcity society where all significant economic activity is carried out by artificial agents.
All of these conversations are profoundly political.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Every culture, regardless of their actual mores, thinks they have “human nature” locked down. Weird how it changes from culture to culture. Capitalists think human nature is greedy and exploitative. Other cultures disagree. It’s not a surprise, it’s enculturation.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Not really. They’re mostly economical. What jobs will artist have when “art” is made by machines instead of humans? You can make that political, like how most things that aren’t political become political due to current culture, like books in libraries, the efficacy of vaccines, the shape of the Earth, etc. That something can be made political doesn’t mean it is.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Not really. They’re mostly economical. What jobs will artist have when “art” is made by machines instead of humans? You can make that political, like how most things that aren’t political become political due to current culture, like books in libraries, the efficacy of vaccines, the shape of the Earth, etc. That something can be made political doesn’t mean it is.
Economics used to be called political economics and given that governments rise and fall on economic performance I think it is one of the most political things around.
Also, some of the deepest and most divisive issues in politics are how the economy is organised.
What jobs artist have when art is made by machines is a profoundly political question, it goes to the heart of how society is organised. If you cannot see that as political then I think you have too narrow a view of politics.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Don't mistake partisan for political. Anything decided by groups of people or that involve the distribution of power and resources is fundamentally political. Any decisions made about the development and deployment of AI that affect or are dependent any of those issues are inherently political.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Ok, technically correct, with regard to my second sentence that you quoted but this conversation and most current conversations about Al are political.

Sure. The point being that if you mistake this discussion for the whole shebang, the simplest answer is "just ban AI", which turns out limit a lot of good things you can do - like model the weather, or agricultural patterns, and such.

Over-generalization leads to naïve approaches to solutions.

One could say that there are two conversations, one relating to data ownership....

The other conversation is what the proper response is to social and economic dislocation driven by rapid adoption of automation. ...

And, we can note that the matter of social and economic dislocation is hardly new - that's been a problem we have wrangled with since the start of the industrial revolution.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Politics encompasses all of that.

Whether you realize it or not, everything you just criticized are talking points meant to belittle members of a specific opposing political party.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Sure. The point being that if you mistake this discussion for the whole shebang, ....
I think that this is somewhat condescending.
the simplest answer is "just ban AI",
I am not sure that we could in a meaningful way.
which turns out limit a lot of good things you can do - like model the weather, or agricultural patterns, and such.

Over-generalization leads to naïve approaches to solutions.
I mostly agree with you but given the "no politics" rules of this forum I am not convinced we can have a useful conversation about the topic in general with out getting into the weed of politics.
And, we can note that the matter of social and economic dislocation is hardly new - that's been a problem we have wrangled with since the start of the industrial revolution.
Arguably even before that, blue water sailing technology and navigation aids lead to the European colonial empires. The industrial revolution lead to trade unions, universal suffrage, communism, fascism and 2 world wars.

Remove ads