Technomagicon: Craft Skill (v2) & Ordinary People (v4) [Updated 06Jul08]

EnglishScribe

First Post
I can see where you are going with that. :cool:

The reason I chose a lens is I needed something that typified crafting small and delicate objects, but also made some sense when weilded as a focus for arcane powers. So needles, scissors etc did not really seem right.

Also the lens fits quite nicely into appraisal.

EnglishScribe

First Post
Status Update

This evening (now that Doctor Who has finished) I am moving on to organise the skills into catagories a little better.

My working list at present is:

Vocation: Educational
* Linguistics (Wis) [1]
- Understanding unknown language, translation,
* Literacy (Int)
- Writing, Forgery, Knowledge of literature, Research
* Numeracy (Int)
- Accounting, Finance, Code Breaking, Logic & Computer progreamming
* History (Int)
* Bureaucracy (Int) [4]
- Politics, Administration, Business practices
Vocation: Professional
* Alchemy/Chemistry (Int) [5]
- Corrosives, Explosives
* Artistry (Wis)
- Creating Images
* Cook/Agogastronomy (Wis) [5]
- Food, Alcohol, Agriculture
* Craft (Int)
- Creating Objects
* Engineering (Wis)
- Mechanics, Electronics, Optics
* Heal/Biology (Wis) [5]
- Equipment and resources for other Eras
Vocation: Circumstantial
* Drive (Dex)
- Any type of vehicle in any environment
* Dungeoneering (Wis)
* Nature/Environment (Wis)
- Animal handling, Animal training
* Perception (Wis)
* Stealth (Dex)
Vocation: Social
* Bluff (Cha)
* Diplomacy (Cha) [4]
* Insight (Wis)
- Profiling, Investigation
* Intimidate (Cha)
* Perform (Cha)
- Acoustic, Motive, Narrative
* Streetwise (Cha) [2]
- Commerce?
Vocation: Physical
* Acrobatics (Dex)
* Athletics (Str)
* Endurance (Con)
* Thievery/? (Dex) [3]
Vocation: Metaphysical
* Arcane (Int)
* Religion (Int)

Points for discussion
[1] Should Linguistics be academic or social
[2] Does streetwise include commerce/trade
[3] A better name for Thievery
[4] Does Bureaucracy include commerce/trade. Is this actually part of Diplomacy?
[5] Poisons in Alchemy, Heal or Cook?

EnglishScribe

First Post
Ordinary People

Sunday morning, so here's something to read with your lunch - or is there just me in this big empty cavern of fun?

Download Ordinary People PDF

The 'Mundane' Tier
Introducing the Ordinary, a non-heroic mundane tier character
* Ability Scores
* Health
* Combat
* Experience and Rewards
* Income
* Effects of Training on Icome
* Living Expenses
* Becoming a Hero
1. Demi-Hero Template
2. Multiclass feat and key skill training
3. Class template
4. Full 2nd level Hero.

* Effects of Age
- (and 5 racial 5 Traits)
* Non-Combatant Racial Traits
- (11 racial traits)
* Training
- (15 training packages)

The was renamed from the Commoner and the Common Tier. I want to use Commoner to describe the bottom rung of the social scale I am going to add, so I've renamed the tier to Mundane and the commoner to ordinary.

I'm experimenting with smaller PDFs, each 8-16 pages covering a single subject.

hawkwing2k5

First Post
Occupational Skills will detail skills ideal for non-heroic characters while offering options for Heroes that do not distract from of significantly enhance their encounter efficiency.

Um the only complaint I have at the moment is that the word of from this sentence should be or.

The project kicks ass and yea I'd buy you a pint or two as well

EnglishScribe

First Post
Occupational Skills will detail skills ideal for non-heroic characters while offering options for Heroes that do not distract from of significantly enhance their encounter efficiency.

Um the only complaint I have at the moment is that the word of from this sentence should be or.

Well spotted:cool: I've fixed it now.

the_redbeard

Explorer
I don't mean to disrespect the work you've done and the creativity behind it.
What you've made will do the job for others, but it doesn't seem to fit with me.

If you do go for playing 4th, one of the new paradigms is a simplified skill system.
Instead of 4th edition's broad skills it appears to me that you're going back to 3.x's more detailed system. I think what you've created is a start for a replacement for the 4th edition skill system, not just an addition.

Alchemy: would seem to already be present in Arcana
Cook: much (not all) would seem to fit in Nature or Healing
Numeracy: covers accounting. However, if I was to train in a craft, I would expect the skill training to include many aspects of the craft - including running a business at it.

Those are just a few points that (at my brief glance) seem to contradict the 4th edition skill model.

On the other hand, my first reaction to reading about 4th edition's skill model was that I liked 3.x's better (I like fiddly bits).

I think if you are suggesting a more detailed skill model, part of the model should expand the number of skills that characters can train.

To explain, here's an example: if I were a wizard with trained Arcana, I would expect to have the knowledge in the alchemy skill. If I have to train two skills to get the same in-game knowledge, the character should be able to train more skills.

Destil

Explorer
I like the system, but I agree that there's too much there that isn't really needed for PCs. For NPCs where you can handwave the skill training it's fine.

If I use this (and I very well might), I'd just make all the new skills fall under a single Int based skill like Craft for a player.

EnglishScribe

First Post
If you do go for playing 4th, one of the new paradigms is a simplified skill system.
Instead of 4th edition's broad skills it appears to me that you're going back to 3.x's more detailed system. I think what you've created is a start for a replacement for the 4th edition skill system, not just an addition.

Alchemy: would seem to already be present in Arcana
Cook: much (not all) would seem to fit in Nature or Healing
Numeracy: covers accounting. However, if I was to train in a craft, I would expect the skill training to include many aspects of the craft - including running a business at it.

Those are just a few points that (at my brief glance) seem to contradict the 4th edition skill model.

On the other hand, my first reaction to reading about 4th edition's skill model was that I liked 3.x's better (I like fiddly bits).

I think if you are suggesting a more detailed skill model, part of the model should expand the number of skills that characters can train.

To explain, here's an example: if I were a wizard with trained Arcana, I would expect to have the knowledge in the alchemy skill. If I have to train two skills to get the same in-game knowledge, the character should be able to train more skills.

I like the system, but I agree that there's too much there that isn't really needed for PCs. For NPCs where you can handwave the skill training it's fine.

If I use this (and I very well might), I'd just make all the new skills fall under a single Int based skill like Craft for a player.

Folks,

I appreciate your feedback, and to an extend I agree with you. The granularity of the skills was something that I went quite a bit of time thinking about, especially the division of alchemy, cook and craft. The jury is still out on exactly how granular this should be, although I have plenty of ideas and notes on each of the skills that will easily fill separate chapters for each.

Heroic characters automatically add 1/2 their level to ALL skills, which by 15th level puts then on par with a highly trained Ordinary. Also consider the following set of heroic feats:

Education Training
Prerequisite: Heroic Tier, Int 13
Benefit: You are trained in all of the following education skills: Linguistics (Wis), Literacy (Int), Numeracy (Int), and Bureaucracy (Int)

Education Focus
Prerequisite: Heroic Tier, Int 15, Education Training.
Benefit: You gain skill focus in all of the following education skills: Linguistics (Wis), Literacy (Int), Numeracy (Int), and Bureaucracy (Int)

Occupational Training
Prerequisite: Heroic Tier, Int 13 or Wis 13
Benefit: You are trained in all of the following occupational skills: Alchemy (Int), Artistry (Wis) Cook (Wis), Craft (Int) and Engineering (Wis)

Occupational Focus
Prerequisite: Heroic Tier, Int 15 or Wis 15, Occupational Training.
Benefit: You gain skill focus in all of the following occupational skills: Alchemy (Int), Artistry (Wis) Cook (Wis), Craft (Int) and Engineering (Wis)

Also note that Alchemy is intended to be more corrosives, poisons and explosives, rather than the 3/3.5 idea of using alchemy to create semi-magical devices. Think of Alchemy as a fantasy version of Craft (chemical).

Last edited:

Remove ads