D&D 5E Tedium for balance. Should we balance powerful effects with bookkeeping?

Is Tedium a valid form of balancing?

• Yes. Tedious bookkeeping is a valid way to balance poweful effects.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • No. Tedious bookeeping is not a valid way to balance powerful effects.

Votes: 68 81.9%
  • To a certain degree. As long as it doesn't take too much time, but your skill should be rewarded.

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • I don't know. I don't have an opinion on it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Do you think a tedious amount of bookkeeping, even if the tedium is light, is a valid way to balance effects?

For example, if an effect could revive the dead, but only after at least 30 full moons has passed since the last usage otherwise it destroys itself, would this be a bad way of balancing this?

Its not particularly difficult to use by a skill standpoint, but it requires tallying the number of full moons which can be annoying for the player and a DM that doesn't have a calendar prepared.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Do you think a tedious amount of bookkeeping, even if the tedium is light, is a valid way to balance effects?

For example, if an effect could revive the dead, but only after at least 30 full moons has passed since the last usage otherwise it destroys itself, would this be a bad way of balancing this?

Its not particularly difficult to use by a skill standpoint, but it requires tallying the number of full moons which can be annoying for the player and a DM that doesn't have a calendar prepared.
I don't think that tedious bookkeeping is ever a legitimate form of balance. That said, I don't think your example is one of tedious bookkeeping. Yes, there is a bookkeeping element involved, but the real balancing factor is time, which is a reasonable form of balance. You can only use this powerful ability to its fullest every X units of time.

mamba

Legend
No, bookkeeping is a nuisance, balance them in some other way. I like the DCC approach of making spells less reliable and less predictable. Does not have to go quite that far, but that is the direction I would take.

I would even get rid of all the spell components we have today, I doubt most people track those anyway.

I do not really consider your example tedious, unless you start having something like this for a lot of spells

Remove ads