• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Telepathy

Pelwrath

First Post
Does the telepathic ability possesed by extra planar creatures just communictive or does it include an ESP element, similar to the 2nd Ed spell and medallion device?
This was mentioned by a plaey in my campaign as he was describing a 'discusion' he had with an entity and his fear of having his mind read.
I find nothing in the DMG that describes it.

Vegepygmy

First Post
It's just communication; no mind-reading.

But your player's character doesn't necessarily know that, so his "fear" sounds like good role-playing to me. :)

Jack Simth

First Post
Does the telepathic ability possesed by extra planar creatures just communictive or does it include an ESP element, similar to the 2nd Ed spell and medallion device?
This was mentioned by a plaey in my campaign as he was describing a 'discusion' he had with an entity and his fear of having his mind read.
I find nothing in the DMG that describes it.

SRD said:
Telepathy (Su): A creature with this ability can communicate telepathically with any other creature within a certain range (specified in the creature’s entry, usually 100 feet) that has a language. It is possible to address multiple creatures at once telepathically, although maintaining a telepathic conversation with more than one creature at a time is just as difficult as simultaneously speaking and listening to multiple people at the same time.

Some creatures have a limited form of telepathy, while others have a more powerful form of the ability.
It permits you to communicate without words. The ability, as described in the Monster Manual (and the SRD), is basically like talking - no mind-reading (that's a separate ability that such critters as the Doppleganger get)

roguerouge

First Post
With my campaign's pseudodragon, I often play it like there's a mind-reading component, simply under the theory that people are unused to guarding their THOUGHTS and so are often "talking" mentally.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads