• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Telephone question

Hi everyone,

It's the first time that I will attend GenCon while having a wife and kids back home missing me very much.

What's the best way to make a long distance call from Indianapolis to Canada (Montréal) without it costing me an arm? I suggested to my wife to call me at my hotel, but her english is rather poor and she's afraid to have to request the room number.

My second question is regarding my internet usage on my mobile. There should be a few travellers here that have something to suggest on how to have it without paying a fortune for roaming fees.

darjr

I crit!
I don't know if it's best. But I'd find wifi and use some form of voip that can dial numbers. Something like magic jack or vonage. I'm not sure what options would be available in Canada.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I do similar stuff, but from the UK. For me it's simple: don't use the phone unless you're on wi-fi somewhere. Not even to check emails. Definitely don't make calls! I don't know if it's the same to Canada, though.

Wifi is fine; various options available. The convention centre will be very difficult to use wi-fi in, but the hotels are usually OK if a little slow. An iPhone Facetime call (video or audio) goes over wifi.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Since I'm from Canada I might be able to help a little bit. Most of the carriers here have temporary data roaming packages if you absolutely need to use data. They aren't exactly cheap but they are a lot better than just turning on data and using it. You might need to call them to have them turn it on.

As people have mentioned, the Wifi in the convention center is horrible and likely won't work at all. You'll get really slow access in a hotel, but most of them only work in the lobby. You're unlikely to get enough speed to make a decent voip/skype call from that connection.

You may just want to call your phone company and see what kind of temporary roaming deals they have for calls as well. Explain your situation and ask them. It can't hurt.

Remove ads