• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Teleport and the Nixing Thereof

Babel

First Post
I've been playing D&D in its various iterations for a while, and excessive use of two spells in particular - raise dead (etc.) and teleport (etc.) - have created no end of havoc for DMs and players alike. There've been a few threads on this very topic recently, but since I'm too bone idle to actually read through them here are a few in-game solutions I've encountered/used to fix the teleport problem (because quite frankly, any DM who can't take care of raise dead abuse in-game with, say, a quick visit from Death itself or possessing demons or some other rat bastard horror should hang up his, her or it's dice bag). Oh, and standard player-friendly disclaimer: these aren't designed to turn teleport into a last-ditch insane death-ride to be used only when the dragon has already bitten off one of your arms, but to make that PC wizard think twice before nipping back to town for a hearty lunch inbetween dungeon levels. And so, without further ado...

The Doom/Nightcrawler Solution: Teleport touches briefly on a very, very, very unpleasant alternate dimension/plane/whatever when transporting persons from A to B. The natives of this hellish realm can't do anything to occasional travellers, but those who breach the fabric of their reality too often can be tracked/attacked/pulled bodily into the plane at an inconvenient moment. Or maybe each teleport weakens the boundaries between the PCs' world and the grim Elsewhere, allowing the depraved inhabitants to bring unearthly horror to hapless innocents...

The 'This Land is My Land' Solution: Teleport and its kin actually move travellers through an object or space considered sacred or the exclusive property of an extraplanar race. The odd blip here and there doesn't bother them, but when a person makes a habit of using their god's corpse as a doorway or streaking through astral space like a bottle rocket, well, then it might be time to pay that person a visit and demand a few reparations.

The 'Nice Wand You Got There, Shame If Something Were to Happen To It' Solution: Teleporting in a particular area (the kingdom in which the campaign is set, say) is monitored and controlled by a cabal of mystics who don't take kindly to arrogant spell-jockeys whizzing through the stratosphere. Perhaps they're anxious about possible repercussions against all mages from some powerful force, or have something against the unrestrained use of powerful magic, or maybe they're just looking to corner a monopoly on transportation spells. Whatever their reasoning is, they've got the mojo to make sure people who consistently make trouble get slapped down, hard.

The 'I Can Feel Myself Drifting Away' Solution: It's no great secret among mages that those who teleport too often are...changed by their frequent trips through Elsewhere. They become distant, wan, maybe even spiritually and physically twisted by their constant distortion of space and time. Some have reputedly faded away altogether, or composed some final mad spell to spread their consciousness throughout the entirety of existence at once. Whatever happens to these lost souls, it tends to be distinctly unpleasant, and thus all sensible wonder-workers avoid uncessary teleporting like the plague.

The Propylon Chamber Solution (props to Morrowind for this one): Teleporting is reliant on interactions between a few isolated arcane devices which shunt the caster from place to place. Each of these artifacts (which provide coverage for different areas) requires a magical key to use, which can only be obtained from the person or persons who control them - and who are very particular about who they provide access to...

There you go, enjoy - though I'm certain there are thousands of infinitely better suggestions floating around. Still, any one of these should give that port-happy wizard pause, at least until he hits epic level.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
There are some more trastic measures

Midnight's The Veil shuts out all interplanar traffic solution: The Material is surrounded by a veil, and *nothing* can get through (no magic, no dead souls, no gods, no nothing) That includes teleport spells, of course. There is a replacement, shooting star, which will transport you hundreds of miles bodily - you shoot up into the sky and come down hundreds of miles away in a very short time - but magic is illegal (punishable by death) and a group of people (probably of outlawed races) flying that high, drawing attention to themselves, isn't the best of ideas.

The Hey, why don't you use that spell less often? approach, and his cousin There's no such thing as teleport in my world.

The Make it cost a lot of gp (maybe in rare materials), or even XP approach.

Ferret

Explorer
Where did that go?: After teleporting some insignificant item disappears, nothing major, then the next time some expensive stuff goes missing mid transit. Is it thieves snatching them in the astral, or are certain items just snagging on astral dust?

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I find it best not to be specific.

Have it reported how a teleporting wizard died in transit. Have a magic item go missing (as Ferret suggests). Have the wizard get a glimpse of something awful. And sometimes have no consequences.

Make the players nervous, and they will use Teleport only for emergencies.

ciaran00

Explorer
I'm surprised Sending is not mentioned. The power to remotely communicate is about as badly abusable as the power to teleport anywhere. Suddenly everyone has cell phone and teleporters and the DM gets very anxious...

ciaran

Thanee

First Post
You could also check my "Let's ban Teleport" thread in the General Discussions forum (you can sort the forum by thread name and hunt for L...), for some discussions on the topic.

Bye
Thanee

green slime

First Post
bah.

Do as you wish.

IMC, there are pro- and con- spells; teleport spells restrictions, unrestricted teleports, teleport diverters, teleport blocks, teleport tracers, scrambled teleports, mislead tracers, secure teleporting, sending snatchers, encrypted sendings, sending tracers, sending blocks...

High level mages are, IMO, about high manueverability. It should be at opportunity cost though. Strategic relocation does come at a cost: the cost is a high level spell slot. IF this is not enough, adding in an expensive focus/material component or XP cost should restrict the players enough.

First it was etherealness that got the kick. Now teleport. Next will be shadow walk...

Kae'Yoss

First Post
green slime said:
bah.

Do as you wish.

IMC, there are pro- and con- spells; teleport spells restrictions, unrestricted teleports, teleport diverters, teleport blocks, teleport tracers, scrambled teleports, mislead tracers, secure teleporting, sending snatchers, encrypted sendings, sending tracers, sending blocks...

High level mages are, IMO, about high manueverability. It should be at opportunity cost though. Strategic relocation does come at a cost: the cost is a high level spell slot. IF this is not enough, adding in an expensive focus/material component or XP cost should restrict the players enough.

First it was etherealness that got the kick. Now teleport. Next will be shadow walk...

I understand you. I never understood why people don't like teleport.

So people can go wherever they want? Well, only if they have a description. And certain areas are blocked, anyway (there's a couple of spells that block extradimensional travel)

Is it because they won't encounter enemies on their travels? Hey, by the time they teleport, they don't need to fear your average highwayman, anyway.

Is it because they can play merry hell with the plot? A half-decent plot won't revolve around the players taking the bus everywhere. And if it's good enough (and the players aren't complete idiots), they won't abandon the plot (if they are, the question is: should you even play with them?)

Sure, most DM's are caught off-guard by travel magic. One of mine put a lot of thought in what he thought would be a 2-week trip from one city to another. He thought about possible encounters and so on. In the end it took us uneventful 12 hours or so with wind walk. Several hours of preparation down the drain. Well, he learned from it.

The other, being caught completely off-guard, got indignant and started to harass the wizard player (but he's that way, and wasn't exactly award-winning DM-material)

Remove ads