• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Teleport Campaign

SafireDeluge

First Post
Many years ago my DM ran a campaign where we, the players judged each other accordingly to what attribute scores we would have in the real world
(lowest being 8. highest being 16) We also wrote suggestions on each person thinking about what class each other would be given our personalities.

The DM then averaged those scores and gave either a small bump or reduction based on what he saw us being in relation to the class that was chosen for us. Even though i never played the class i really wanted to play at the time, i noticed that i really like playing that class regardless. Something about it feeling chosen for me made it much more enjoyable.

The Overall plot was that greater powers/forces had brought us to a fantasy world, where we had just "acquired" these abilities and it was up to a "seer" to explain to us what our real role was. (until we met the seer, we had no clue what our class was... so many fights with improvised weapons.. and running away scared)

I now have my own players, a group of five just like it was before and im thinking about running the same concept of the game, but i think i would change a few things and i would also like some suggestions.

This time around now that i'm running it, i think i would like the players to choose their own class, but only when they first meet the seer. The idea i had in mind is that the seer can give them a suggestions (based on their attributes) of what they are likely to excel in. (16 dex = suggestions of rogue/ranger and the sort. 16 str = visiting barracks and learn a collection of fighting techniques that best suits that player.) To me this would give the players a chance to be a representation of what everyone thinks, and at the same time be able to play classes that aren't the min/max.

As far as race.. i think i would like everyone to stay a human. I dont really see a reason for them to change that race... in fact i think it might be not only a safe, but strong option for them should they want to play a class that isnt precisely what their stats are suggested they should be.
I've already thought about the possibility of someone having fairly average stats, (when i played we had 1 person who had average stats of everything) as well as the concept of someone have fairly low stats.. but my players are all fairly close friends, and i do believe they will be honest and fair when they distribute the stats. They are aware the attribute bonuses need to be within the +4 to +8 area, but i think i would much rather do the bumps and the reductions myself as opposed them them choosing an array.

Does this seem like a safe idea overall? what things could i do to better implement this concept. The idea so far is that they will be teleported to a different world while we are all playing a game of DnD, but when the lights come on.. i wont be there. Its really a chance for them to come find me and see what has brought them here to begin with... any help/suggestions/criticisms or critiques would be very much welcomed.
Also, should there be any additional rules or guidelines so things can run smoothly?

jgsugden

Legend
Sounds fun, but a recipe for disaster if you ask me. Many people might be surprised to find that their friends think they have a wisdom of 8 rather than the 16 they think they have...

If I were you, I'd tell each player to build themself as a character, but limit themselves to a point buy system. If they complain, "I won't have enough points to build myself, " either politely tell them to do their best approximation under the point buy, or physically abuse them until they've sustained enough physical or mental damage to be able to fit themsleves under the limit.

I'd let them pick their class... Some people just don't enjoy some classes. I played a character for 4 years that I really didn't enjoy because I took over an existing PC - and although the campaign was a blast, it would have been much more fun for me had I played a PC I liked rather than the munchkin wizard I'd been handed.

Ryujin

Legend
I did the same thing, years back, with the game "Space Opera." It was an alien invasion campaign; the players were kidnapped and enslaved, then managed to escape after having been trained as Jannisaries. It was a little easier to do with that game though, because attributes received increases due to experience and training during character creating. It wasn't a big deal to give largely average stats, because training into the character type resulted in higher scores.

Rather than going for real world attributes, I would suggest using the "standard array" and assigning idealized attributes. After that they could undergo training for their preferred class that gives them their Human +2 to attribute.

bfreakb999

First Post
BTW, i'm the dm, i had one of my players post this here for me because i was at work and these forums are blocked at my job. very lame..

Sounds fun, but a recipe for disaster if you ask me. Many people might be surprised to find that their friends think they have a wisdom of 8 rather than the 16 they think they have...

Well i've already talked to them about not getting their feelings hurt when the friends generate their stats. Everyone is fairly friendly, and even though at first i thought this meant no one would have less than a 13, they seem to be willing to give 10's and 8's when its appropriate to balance out stats of each person. We have one person who even though we love to death.. we all know will end up with a wisdom of either 8/10 because they don't always think things through. When this project was first discussed we all discussed and agreed that for the sake of balance 8's and 10's would all be given and it seemed to be fairly consensual that no one would get an attitude based on the stats. (everyone seems willing to play any class they can)

If I were you, I'd tell each player to build themself as a character, but limit themselves to a point buy system. If they complain, "I won't have enough points to build myself, " either politely tell them to do their best approximation under the point buy, or physically abuse them until they've sustained enough physical or mental damage to be able to fit themsleves under the limit.

I'd let them pick their class... Some people just don't enjoy some classes. I played a character for 4 years that I really didn't enjoy because I took over an existing PC - and although the campaign was a blast, it would have been much more fun for me had I played a PC I liked rather than the munchkin wizard I'd been handed.
I definitely think they should have the right to pick their own class as well. When my class was chosen for me, i did enjoy it.. but i might have enjoyed it more if i had been simply been given the choice.

I do like the idea of using either a standard array or point buy system to give eachtheir stats. In the end i will be able to give a minor bump or reduction in a score to make it more balanced and even. (if their highest is 15, bump it to a 16, if they have 12/13, reduce it to 11/12 for the sake of a bit higher modifier on a more important stat)

My next questions is.. should i apply my bump or reduction points before or after they choose their class? right now the order is..

1 - People decide the stats for each other
2 - I average the stats, add or take away points just to kinda centralize what everyone thinks.
3 - Everyone meets a seer that suggests a class, but gives them the option of playing what they want.
4. They apply their human bonus to whatever stat will help their class as they see fit. (basically the training they endure unlocks secrets in their mind/body that were, until that moment, untapped.

In the end it seems like everyone should at least have a 16. in something.

Someone else on another forum also suggested allowing the use half races, but i'm not sure. it seems like it would kinda throw off and lose some balance that might already be critical. (human cleric might get a 16 wis with their +2 bonus as a human already added, but someone thats a half-orc and chooses and ranger/rogue will be better stacked with stats than anyone else)

i appreciate the help so far. any other suggestions or comments that could help? I really appreciate anything at all.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Sure thing.

Everyone has something about them that stands to stand out. Who is the smartest in the group? Who has the most common sense? Who could charm a phone number out of any girl he met in a bar? Does one never get sick or could toss you through a window?

The flipside also applies. Who never seems to catch a break, because he's always going for a get rich quick scheme? Who couldn't get lucky in a brothel, wearing a shirt made of $1000 bills? Who always seems to have the sniffles or can barely muster the resolve to get out of bed in the morning?

If you take these things into consideration, then sort of rate people on a comparative scale, it becomes easier to set the stats. If you're using a standard array, then the scores will almost assign themselves. How people are, comparatively, will tend to point them toward classes that fit them within a party structure. The guy who is 6'4" and weighs 280 pounds isn't likely to be the party thief.

If you really want to extends things, then polymorphing into who they "really" are might be an option. This might give enough of a boost that a character who isn't well suited to a role that he wants to play might actually be halfway decent in it. Like you said though, it might lead to characters who are a bit.... much for the room.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads