• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Teleport (of death!), object or greater

bestone

First Post
OK, theres a mage in our group trying some funky stuff

Can you teleport objects into locations attended by creatures, ie teleport a sword into an area he can clearly see, it just so happens to be occupied by the head of a big bad creature?

aswell, he thinks he can "mage bomb" where he teleports himself inside the brain of a big bad creature (dragon, tarrasque, things like that) with a contingency for true ressurect on death set

Personally i dont think inside the head of a big creature would be an at all familiar place :/

Last edited:

Vorput

First Post
Look at the rules on dimension door and shunting to open space for a reference.

Can't be done... and if he argues- rule he just fuses with said creature/object- killing him too.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Vorput said:
Look at the rules on dimension door and shunting to open space for a reference.

That's what I'd go with too - I'd allow someone to attempt to dimension door into a space occupied by another creature; I'd give the creature a Ref save to avoid it, and if they were successful then the person gets shunted away and both you and the target take 1d6 damage.

bestone

First Post
ok he's read and re-read the spell, and he interprets it as this, teleport doesnt have shunting *like dimension door* but you have to pick an area to teleport too, if you teleport an object, into an area occupied by a person, there is no ruling for it, and then he says something about the being scrambled and dying

I read it too, and i'd have to say, i agree with the shunting idea of dimension door applied to this situation, it seems the most logical awnser? no?

shilsen

Adventurer
bestone said:
ok he's read and re-read the spell, and he interprets it as this, teleport doesnt have shunting *like dimension door* but you have to pick an area to teleport too, if you teleport an object, into an area occupied by a person, there is no ruling for it, and then he says something about the being scrambled and dying

I read it too, and i'd have to say, i agree with the shunting idea of dimension door applied to this situation, it seems the most logical awnser? no?
Yes, it does seem the most logical answer.

Also check the description of Conjuration spells in the Magic chapter. The SRD says: "A creature or object brought into being or transported to your location by a conjuration spell cannot appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in an empty space. It must arrive in an open location on a surface capable of supporting it."

You can easily apply that as well.

Kurashu

First Post
You're the DM. Make a ruling. I'd apply the shunting affect. Or if he really insists that the being gets scrambled, he should get scrambled too.

Not really a mage bomb...more mage goop.

shilsen said:
Also check the description of Conjuration spells in the Magic chapter. The SRD says: "A creature or object brought into being or transported to your location by a conjuration spell cannot appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in an empty space. It must arrive in an open location on a surface capable of supporting it."

Bingo.

This text is key. It stops you from teleporting a sword into an enemy's head. It stops you from teleporting a boulder 50' above an enemy and dropping it on them (or from summoning an elephant in mid-air to do the same thing). Basically, it stops almost all attempts of munchkin casters to turn Teleport into the ultimate damage dealing spell. Attempting the type of things you player wants to do will cause the spell to fail.

The "shunting" clause of Dimension Door is a specific exception to this clause. It does not apply to Teleport or Teleport Object.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads