• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Teleport Question

valeren

First Post
So, one of the characters in our campaign (an eladrin swordmage) has an eladrin chain armor +1. We're not exactly sure how (or even if) the armor would affect the second level utility power - dimension warp. Does the armor increase the range of the teleport to close burst 4 from the original 3?

So, one of the characters in our campaign (an eladrin swordmage) has an eladrin chain armor +1. We're not exactly sure how (or even if) the armor would affect the second level utility power - dimension warp. Does the armor increase the range of the teleport to close burst 4 from the original 3?
What class do you get the utility from because I cant find it in the PHB or the compendium?

Khime

Explorer
Eladrin armor adds to the maximum distance of any teleport you make. Dimension Warp (Swordmage Utility 2) lets you basically 'castle' with one ally (or castle two seperate allies) within a close burst 3.

Um... wow. First thought would be that it doesn't have an effect, since you're not going for 'distance' here, but rather are swapping around allies (or swapping places with an ally).

Second thought would be that if it does apply, it would have to be to increase the burst (since you can swap around allies further away), but that would be increasing it by one square on each side of you, doubling the power of the armor.

Third thought is that this is a good thing to fix before Forgotten Realms is published.

EDIT: Fourth thought - whether you're teleporting yourself and an ally, or teleporting two allies, Eladrin Armor only adds to the maximum distance of any teleport you make. It doesn't add to the distance that you can teleport other people, does it? If it doesn't, then it doesn't matter how much further you can teleport, you can't pull the other character back that far, so the power would fail if you tried to swap places with someone 4 squares away - you could port that far, but the power would only let you port them back 3, and that's not how the power works. Ditto for swapping around two allies. So i'd say the power doesn't interact with the armor.

Or maybe that's too strict an interpretation of "any teleport you make"...

I'm surprised that this question hasn't already come up via the paladin power "Benign Transposition."

Last edited:

Kordeth

First Post
Neither Benign Transposition nor Dimension Warp has a maximum distance. They have a range to the target, which is not the same thing, so eladrin armor would not affect them. Powers like the warlock's Ethereal Stride or Misty Step are affected, because they actually define the maximum distance of the teleport, not the range to a target.

jdpacheco

First Post
I would say, first, that it's limited to your movement... So it wouldn't affect anything that you would do any other characters.

I would also say it specifies "one square", which means that it definitely doesn't increase it from Burst 3 to Burst 4... at most it would be "Burst 3 plus one more square".

That being said, I don't think it affects it *at all*. It adds one square to the distance of the teleportation itself. This makes it iffy about what happens when you swap places with someone, but I would say that since no Distance is specified, it remains a direct swap.

MarkB

Legend
I don't think the armour would affect this ability at all - but if you really want it to, a simple and reasonably balanced way to do it would be to make it a "close-plus-one" burst - i.e. you could choose to place the burst up to one square away from you, instead of adjacent.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads