• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Teleportation Circles

Duelpersonality

First Post
I've looked over the books trying to find this a couple of times and haven't found anything. Maybe I'm just missing it. Is it stated anywhere in the books what the process and cost of making a permanent teleportation circle (the kind that you have to match when using teleport rituals)? I can easily wing something if I need to, but it strikes me as odd that it isn't at least mentioned in the teleportation circle sidebar in the DMG.

Dalzig

First Post
I've looked over the books trying to find this a couple of times and haven't found anything. Maybe I'm just missing it. Is it stated anywhere in the books what the process and cost of making a permanent teleportation circle (the kind that you have to match when using teleport rituals)? I can easily wing something if I need to, but it strikes me as odd that it isn't at least mentioned in the teleportation circle sidebar in the DMG.

It is meant for teleportation circles to be DM-controlled. There's not much point for PCs to regularly crafting permanent teleportation circles, hence no mention of them.

So just wing it.

Duelpersonality

First Post
It is meant for teleportation circles to be DM-controlled. There's not much point for PCs to regularly crafting permanent teleportation circles, hence no mention of them.

So just wing it.
I had kind of guessed this was the case, and it doesn't bug me too much. I'll probably just multiply the component cost by 5 for a permanent circle, and it gives me plenty of fun little things I can do to the group. :devil:

IceFractal

First Post
There's not much point for PCs to regularly crafting permanent teleportation circles
WTF? Maybe your players, but most I've met would start wondering how to make permanent circles shortly after learning the teleport ritual. And given that apparently most towns and guilds can make them, it'd be obnoxious to claim they can't be made or are ridiculously high level.

WTF? Maybe your players, but most I've met would start wondering how to make permanent circles shortly after learning the teleport ritual. And given that apparently most towns and guilds can make them, it'd be obnoxious to claim they can't be made or are ridiculously high level.
Based on what? I cant find anything in the core setting that states so.

Dalzig

First Post

I can see a teleportation circle in your homebase or bases. What else would you need? Every other major city probably already has teleportation circles. Teleportation circles to dungeons are near useless as you have to go there first. Even then, a piece of chalk will suffice.

I'm just not seeing the demand to spend weeks/months/years to create a permanent teleportation circle for your average adventurer.

Based on what? I cant find anything in the core setting that states so.
The linked portal ritual says that "Most major temples, important wizards’ guilds, and large cities have permanent teleportation circles." You can assume from this that they can then make the teleportation circles. Or, you could also assume that these are relics left over from the empires of old. So, again, DM decision.

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
I think there is something in the PHB or DMG (I forget exactly where offhand, will look for it later) that says most major towns and guildhalls have teleportation circles. Presumably the circles were created during a previous golden age, using lore which has since been lost.

Or perhaps there is no way for mortals to create them, and the towns and guildhalls grew up around the circles instead of the other way around.

Personally, I intend to have teleportation circles be rather less common in my campaign than the rulebooks imply. And I might require that you go from circle to circle, rather than just popping in from anywhere.

The linked portal ritual says that "Most major temples, important wizards’ guilds, and large cities have permanent teleportation circles." You can assume from this that they can then make the teleportation circles. Or, you could also assume that these are relics left over from the empires of old. So, again, DM decision.

Exactly, not "most towns and guilds." The circles, at least in the core setting, seem to be high magic at the very least and artifacts in the most extreme settings. It may definitely be worth perusing, but it will hardly be simple, easy, and readily available.

Anthony Jackson

First Post
While it's true that no cost is given for a teleportation circle, there's also no cost given for the temple/guildhouse/whatever the teleportation circle is installed in. Basic 4e doesn't do architecture.

Remove ads