• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Teleportation overcomes tripping?

Teleport can rotate characters, so I see no reason why it couldn't rotate a prone character into an upright position. I suppose it would be reasonable to require a balance check, but I don't think the extra complication is necessary or useful.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Teleport can rotate characters, so I see no reason why it couldn't rotate a prone character into an upright position.

Where does it say this? Or, for that matter, that you can port 5 ft over a surface and drop, as others have suggested.

The teleportation subschool says: "A teleportation spell transports one or more creatures or objects a great distance. The most powerful of these spells can cross planar boundaries. Unlike summoning spells, the transportation is (unless otherwise noted) one-way and not dispellable.

Teleportation is instantaneous travel through the Astral Plane. Anything that blocks astral travel also blocks teleportation."

And the conjuration school in general notes: "A creature or object brought into being or transported to your location by a conjuration spell cannot appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in an empty space. It must arrive in an open location on a surface capable of supporting it."

So where does it say you can rotate while teleporting? I see nothing indicating that in the magic overview section. I think the "drop down and make a check" argument is just plain wrong by RAW, citing the above.

Last edited:

kitcik

Adventurer
I agree.

I can't find a darn video - my Google foo failed - but I remember dudes in Star Trek being beamed up in all sorts of positions (lying, sitting, being carried) and I imagine teleport the same way.

If you teleport off a ladder onto the ground, make a balance check or topple.

Where does it say [teleportation can rotate characters]? Or, for that matter, that you can port 5 ft over a surface and drop, as others have suggested.

You Greater Teleport to a location on the other side of the globe. Are you standing on your head, or are you standing on your feet? If you're standing on your feet, it means that Greater Teleport has rotated you 180 degrees. In the same vein, teleportation must rotate you 90 degrees if you travel a quarter of the way around the globe, or you would land prone.

It is not explicitly stated that teleportation rotates, but it is implicitly required unless you are going to start considering the curvature of the planet any time you teleport over a notable distance. I have never heard of any DM interpreting this differently.

Teleporting into midair and dropping is not part of what I was arguing before (as it is inconsequential to my argument), but I would allow it. The Teleport spell only requires you to teleport to "a designated destination", and that you have "some clear idea of the location and layout of the destination". A location 5' off the ground within clear view is certainly within these bounds. I will admit his would be a problem if you wanted to teleport 100 miles into the air/outer space, because you would have no bearing to identify the exact spot, but that's not the case here.

Gray Lensman

Explorer
I agree.

I can't find a darn video - my Google foo failed - but I remember dudes in Star Trek being beamed up in all sorts of positions (lying, sitting, being carried) and I imagine teleport the same way.

[MENTION=98256]kitcik[/MENTION]: I tried for a half an hour couldn't find a good example either.

I agree with what seems to be a growing consensus here, Balance and or Tumble checks as required. Or perhaps a NEW FEAT called Unerring Orientation?

HoboGod

First Post
He's sacrificing his standard action (which he could otherwise use to attack you) and a concentration check to avoid provoking with a move action. It's not exactly an overpowered thing.

My sentiments exactly. It wasted a turn to stand up. It's going to get attacked during that wasted turn, so what's the difference provoking the AoO to attack that turn?

On Star Trek, any time on a person is teleported to a location that is not directly below the Enterprise, they are rotated in some way. The curvature of the planet requires it (see my post above). Otherwise, they would land lying down, upside down, or on an angle. Likewise, any teleportation from one ship to another requires rotation (unless there is some magical force holding the ship to be perfectly planar to each other).

OTOH, in Star Trek, the position of the person's arms, legs, etc, in relation to the rest of their body remains constant. I don't know the name of the episode, but I specifically remember an episode of TNG where they teleport a mountain climber aboard (thinking he is in trouble), and he comes through in the exact position he was climbing it.

So, if you want to imaging D+D teleportation to match ST teleportation, it could rotate the character from prone to upright, then require a balance check to stay standing from the instant gravity change.

Hassassin said:
If you teleport into a room with Reversed Gravity, do you appear on the floor or the ceiling?

You appear at the exact place and rotation you intended to. What direction you fall in is a completely different question.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads