• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about Battle Box

Phaedrus

First Post
Battle Box by Fiery Dragon

What is it? I've heard positive things about it, but am fuzzy on what it is and why people like it.

Overall it is excellent, though I do not use all of it.

It comes with:
-a foldable paper battle mat with 1 inch squares
-cards that have a lot of frequently referenced rules for easy reference-1 card each for things like turn unded, grappling, overbear, bull rush, trip, etc. Very handy and better than a DM screen. Buy a cheap pack of laminating pouches form someplace like Wal Mart and you have easy reference and eliminate book flipping.
-cut out counters for spell area effects and common spell effects (lines, cones, bigby's hands, etc.) plus counters for hourses that can slide under a mini etc. Allow you to visualize and/or measure space these things take on the battlemat and measure effects to see who is affected by area spells
-a short book with some optional chase rules by Mike Mearls I think.

The thing I use the most are the reference cards, for me they are worth the cost of the product by themselves, and the rest is gravy.
-M

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Huh. I finally decided to pick this up. It's out of stock at Fiery Dragon's online store and RPG Shop doesn't appear to have it, either. Too late, I guess :(

Glyfair

Explorer
Michael_R_Proteau said:
-cards that have a lot of frequently referenced rules for easy reference-1 card each for things like turn unded, grappling, overbear, bull rush, trip, etc. Very handy and better than a DM screen. Buy a cheap pack of laminating pouches form someplace like Wal Mart and you have easy reference and eliminate book flipping.

I added EN Publishings d20 Status Cards to my Battlebox and these two sets are easily the most used contents of my box (followed by the spell effect counters; Flaming Sphere, Spiritual Weapon).

Steel_Wind

Legend
It's a neat little accessory.

The best part was that i picked mine up for only $10 on the Gencon floor (Sunday sale last year I think). At that price - it was a steal.

It includes a large heavy pewter D20. That dies gets a ton of use at the table (though my wife is now convinced that it's a "cursed die") So for the pewter D20 alone that was close to even steven and the rest was gravy.

$15? Sure - buy it.

$20? I'm iffy.

$25? Nah - keep it, too much for what it has.

Glyfair

Explorer
Steel_Wind said:
The best part was that i picked mine up for only $10 on the Gencon floor (Sunday sale last year I think). At that price - it was a steal.

Note that since you picked it up (I believe) they have added a CD with such things as digital versions of the counters.

Steel_Wind said:
It includes a large heavy pewter D20. That dies gets a ton of use at the table (though my wife is now convinced that it's a "cursed die") So for the pewter D20 alone that was close to even steven and the rest was gravy.

Not trying to be a jerkus-malloy or anything, but the 20-sider is actually not pewter; it's brushed steel. It matches the set of dwarven dice from crystal caste. I mention this only in the intrest of folks who want to buy it. It is freakin' awesome though. I loved it so much I bought a whole set plus a gonga sized brushed steel d20 from crystal caste.

coolest dice ever.

Battlebox is great too ... mostly for the action cards. I plan on eventually printing out copies of the area effects on cardstock for play. The set comes with a nice CD that contains pdfs of everything there.

I cut out the spell templates and they see regular use in my game.

For some reason the players don't seem to like using the rules reference cards though. At the same time most of them tend to shy away from using a lot of the special attacks like disarm, trip, etc., despite my repeated attempts to get them to give them ago. Perhaps I'll have to start using them against them more often! :]

Overall I still think the Battle Box is a good product, even if it doesn't see as much use as it could.

Olaf the Stout

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

We use the reference cards all the time, and also the spell templates. Haven't used the battlemat though as it's paper. Like Glyfair, I added the d20 Status Cards to the box -- they're excellent too.

Cheers

Richard

Remove ads