• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about eTools ...

caudor

Adventurer
Thanks Mynex, this thread is where I learned about RPGT (I currently use eTools). At first, some alarm bells went off in my mind: all my data sets! But once I read about the data set conversion time-period, that set my mind at ease.

I don't need flashy, but I do hope it looks good (at least equal to or better than eTools)

Oh, and one more thing... Thank you Code Monkeys! I'll be able to create my characters on my Mac, at last!

mattcolville

Adventurer
My experience with E-Tools was wading through a really awful website, spending...too much money on a product I ended up not using at all. I think I spent over $100. I didn't have to, I was just optimistic that it would do what I wanted.

I had this experience mostly; "What is this I'm looking at?" I had that experience navigating their site, their store, their products and add-ons, and then the product itself.

I'm really, really hoping their RPGToolkit thing will do what I want, and I'd be willing to pay a lot for such a thing, but I despair for any professional quality D&D software.

Dracael

First Post
My experience with e-tools has been entirely negative. The program is expensive, cumbersome and laggy to run, not customizable, and buggy. It is usable, and I did use it for months, but there are better programs out there and they cost less. One of the best programs out there is DMGenie and I highly recommend you try it (if you haven't already) before you invest tons of money in E-tools. DMGenie provides a 60day free trial so you'll you can try it out without shelling out cash immediately. DMGenie is much less expensive than e-tools (30 dollars) once you consider all of the data sets you have to buy. Also it is entirely customizable (which can be done easily with the help of the yahoo group found on the links page) and adaptable, easy to use, and can do everything. You can run an entire campaign with it once you learn how to use all the features. The only slight negative to this program is that it does take awhile to learn because of the number of features and everything it can do, but if you use the tutorials, FAQ's, etc, you should be able to learn it quickly.

I wouldn't touch e-tools with a ten-foot pole now, and deeply regret that I ever bought it in the first place. DMGenie is worth 30 bucks; E-tools isn't worth the time it will take you to nagivate their user-unfriendly site and drop the program into your shopping cart.

,Dracael

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
Dracael said:
My experience with e-tools has been entirely negative. The program is expensive, cumbersome and laggy to run, not customizable, and buggy. It is usable, and I did use it for months, but there are better programs out there and they cost less. One of the best programs out there is DMGenie and I highly recommend you try it (if you haven't already) before you invest tons of money in E-tools. DMGenie provides a 60day free trial so you'll you can try it out without shelling out cash immediately. DMGenie is much less expensive than e-tools (30 dollars) once you consider all of the data sets you have to buy. Also it is entirely customizable (which can be done easily with the help of the yahoo group found on the links page) and adaptable, easy to use, and can do everything. You can run an entire campaign with it once you learn how to use all the features. The only slight negative to this program is that it does take awhile to learn because of the number of features and everything it can do, but if you use the tutorials, FAQ's, etc, you should be able to learn it quickly.

I wouldn't touch e-tools with a ten-foot pole now, and deeply regret that I ever bought it in the first place. DMGenie is worth 30 bucks; E-tools isn't worth the time it will take you to nagivate their user-unfriendly site and drop the program into your shopping cart.

,Dracael

Ouch... harsh.

To the original poster, I suspect that it really depends on what you are wanting to do with it. I needed something that allowed me to generate NPC's and stat blocks and for me E-Tools was the best of the bunch. The biggest selling feature for me was the "official" book support. I don't have a ton of time to input data myself and really wanted the IP monsters/feats/expansion books and 6.00$ a book is a price I'm willing to pay. Since it's cut my prep time as DM by several hours a week I think it's more than worth it. There are some bugs in it still, but they don't seem to cripple the software.

That said, I'd wait until the RPG Toolkit comes out before buying.

Overall though, I'm happy with it. It works, it's reasonably fast and easy to use. I certainly found it easier to use and more intuitive than some of the campaign management software out there. I'd agree with the previous poster that their website is unprofessional and difficult to navigate but I guess it's... kitchy (sp?) and let's face it, I'm using the program it to make NPCs not browse websites, so I can live with their site as-is.

kingpaul

First Post
Dracael said:
DMGenie is much less expensive than e-tools (30 dollars) once you consider all of the data sets you have to buy.
However, CMP has the license for WotC's books in dataset form for eTools and PCGen. If you want to put them in DMGenie, you'll have to do that yourself...and that's an option for you to do in eTools and PCGen as well.
Dracael said:
Also it is entirely customizable (which can be done easily with the help of the yahoo group found on the links page) and adaptable, easy to use, and can do everything. You can run an entire campaign with it once you learn how to use all the features.
You can do a campaign using eTools as well.
Dracael said:
When did you buy eTools? Many improvements have been made to the program since CMP took over the custodianship. And what about their site is user-unfriendly?

Dracael

First Post
kingpaul said:
However, CMP has the license for WotC's books in dataset form for eTools and PCGen. If you want to put them in DMGenie, you'll have to do that yourself...and that's an option for you to do in eTools and PCGen as well.

You can do a campaign using eTools as well.

When did you buy eTools? Many improvements have been made to the program since CMP took over the custodianship. And what about their site is user-unfriendly?

True, you can buy the datasets, but the prices add up. Also, theres not that much to add by hand at the end of the day - you add it as you go. Also, DMGenie users have created several yahoo groups and through those can provide you with many of the files you might need.

Etools capabilities as a campaign manager cannot compare to DMGenie's. Beyond the fact that eTools is somewhat laggy as a program - making if difficult to use during a session if thats your style - it is missing nearly all of the features that make DMGenie useful. I do admit that you can use it as a NPC Generator and PC Generator and even Treasure Generator, but beyond that it doesn't offer that much. DMGenie offers more for less.

I have been using E-tools until very recently. I was frustrated by it, but saw it as the best program out there. Then one of my players was telling me about DMGenie, and I figured I'd give it a shot. It suits my needs perfectly and doesn't suffer any of eTools flaws.

Etools is a valid program for NPCgeneration, etc. It is one of the best out there - partly because there are so few. If it suits your purposes then thats great. I just to encourage any potential buyers to try DMGenie first. You can try it for free so its no loss to you and if it suits you, then you've saved money because you don't have to shell out money for eTools and their data sets.

Lastly, I found their site unfriendly because I felt like they never provided enough information about what their product could and couldn't do, why I should want to buy it, etc. It's not really a major gripe, but I figure a company should give you as much information about a product as possible and they don't.

,Dracael

Chaz

First Post
Hi all... Been a long time since I commented on E-Tools. Memories...

I gave up on it long ago. I was an original purchaser that waited for the initial release forever. It was disapointing. CMP took it over eventualy, and I had renewed hope. But in the end I gave up. I cant see spending another $100 or more to get up to what I want and then a few $ here a few $ there for more... I just cant afford it.

I really wish I could have kept going with it. I liked it in theory. But Just cant afford the updates. Good luck with yours though if you go with it. I am sorry that I didnt ever get mine the way I wanted after many years of waiting and hoping.

Peace :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads