• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about eTools ...

Mynex

First Post
thalmin said:
I like ETools, and I thank CMP for making it usable. But I hate their website, though it has gotten better. It is too difficult to find where the datasets are (I don't know if what I'm looking for is a single, a bundle or a combo, I just want to find book ABC.) And I quickly get fed up with their boards. Ask a question, then try to find the answer among the comments about bananas. It can get frustrating.
Don't get me wrong. They are friendly, and they are helpful. But often times they are too playful.
That's me. YMMV

Clarity and clarification are what you're discussing... that's the main problem, not the actual website itself... am I understanding this correctly?

If so, thank you for being specific what you think the problem is.

For the most part, when people complain about our site, they say it "sucks" or is "unprofessional"... these aren't constructive comments that we can use to improve our site, so they get ignored.

Specific examples, even with "your site sucks and is unprofessional" will get read and addressed because they contain a specific "This is why" statement in them.

While everyone's idea of what is 'professional' and what 'sucks' are different, not everyone will be pleased, but that's just a fact of life that everyone, personal or business, has to content with.

More clarity on things we can (and will) do... losing the 'fun' we have on our forums... not unless our forum posters lose it... that's part of what CMP is, fun... Yes, we're a business, yes we want to make money... but we're also gamers and we also have a sense of humor, so we're going to use it, we're going to allow it, and even encourage it... some people won't/don't like that... sorry, but tongue in cheek is part of who/what we are in our forums.

Regardless of that, no one can deny that there are a host of people (aka fansimians :D) that'll get you responses to your questions pretty quickly (and accurately)...

As for 'banana this' and 'banana that'... the specific forums (bug reports, how do I, etc) are toned down compared to the general areas... that's one of the reasons for the general areas... to actually give our forum users a place to 'swing about the trees and fling banananas at each other'.

anyways... this went on a bit longer than I meant to... so I'll wrap it up now saying thanks again for the specific comment... we'll get that squared away after this months data release.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Thank you, Mynex. Yes, you understand me correctly. Let me agian say, while I may have trouble navigating your site, I really appreciate the work you have done with ETools. You turned a mess into a valuable tool.

I can't wait for the RPGToolkit.

Olorin

Into the West
I've used ETools since 1.0. The unavailability of datasets that supported my character at the time prevented me from using it regularly for quite a while. (3.5 FR campaign, Dwarven Cleric / Auspician PrC). No support for FRCS, 3.5, Dwarf domain, Auspician PrC, etc. All that data has been released now though, although that game has ended.

Since the 3.5 dataset came out I've used it quite a bit more. All I've purchased for datasets is the 3.5 ruleset, Complete Warrior/Divine and the Eberron campaign book. I'll be getting Complete Arcane and Adventurer when they're released. These sets do a good job of supporting my current character (Eberron campaign, Shifter Ranger going for Weretouched Master PrC).

The interface can be a bit confusing, but once you get used to it it's not bad. I find it useful for maintaining my character, and I've used it a couple times as DM to generate NPCs on the fly. I'm looking forward to RPGToolkit though, for the combat tracking features tied together with character/campaign management.

Chaz

First Post
Well I cant right now... But if/when I can afford it I might try getting the upgrade to give me the basic level 3.5 ability. I was always a hopeful fan of the E-Tools project sine years ago when it was still the Master Tools dream... Until I just got tired of waiting/trying. But talking about it again has renewed my intrest a little.

I have some real finalcial troubles at the moment, but I think I will give E-Tools one more shot as soon as I can swing it.

Anyone know the current price to give me full core 3.5 ability?

And more important... Is it operating at 100% at the basic core 3.5 level?

Thanks.

Peace :)

kingpaul

First Post
Chaz said:
Anyone know the current price to give me full core 3.5 ability?
If by 'core' you mean the 3 main books (PHB, DMG, MM), then its only $6.75 US to buy that dataset bundle ( http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16786&cat=356&page=1 ).

If you mean all the 3.5 datasets that are currently available for purchase, including the core set, then you're talking over $100 US right now, plus however many more 3.5 books WotC will be coming out with that will be made into eTools datasets.

Once RPG Toolkit comes out (slated for 2Q05), all new development for eTools ceases. There will be a window of time to allow for the free conversion of eTools or PCGen datasets over to RPGT datasets. The current eTools datasets will be maintained for a period of two years from RPGT's release date.
Chaz said:
And more important... Is it operating at 100% at the basic core 3.5 level?
Once again, if by 'core', you mean the 3 main books, I know that they ironed out many of the issues (templates being the largest, IMO, one). Are there still issues? Yes, but I think they're now minor ones.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
kingpaul said:
If by 'core' you mean the 3 main books (PHB, DMG, MM), then its only $6.75 US to buy that dataset bundle .
Plus the $30 to purchase E-Tools itself, if you don't already have it.

Chaz

First Post
Ok thanks guys. And yes by "core" i mean the core "basic" set, just like i said.

Do you know what the 'small things' in the "basic core" set that need to be 'ironed out' still are?

Thanks again :)

Peace

DM_Fiery_Fist

First Post
We use eTools quite a bit in our tabletop game and we've invested a great deal of time and money into it. I've got several players who are good at entering in custom stuff and we can have a book "entered" into eTools on our own in a good period of time. However, we often do still buy the data sets, as it's difficult to get everything to work just right.

eTools is the perfect thing for a DM. It's use for a player might not be as great, but I'd still say it's worth the money. One of the biggest benefits is that it gives us a good database to work off of...we have an index of feats from all sorts of books, which helps out tremendously. I'd recomend the purchase.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads