• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about Ravenloft

Sadras

Legend
I have an idea I've been kicking around for a decade about starting a Dark Ages game, where the party is made up by a clergyman (priest), a knight, a tracker (think ranger) and perhaps a peasant hero who have been ordered by the Church to hunt down a blasphemer who is believed to be practising the dark arts. Anyways it would be based on earth and the players/characters, through travel and exploration while tracking this cultist, would eventually find themselves within Barovia.
The way they enter Barovia or the "mists" would require much subtlety on the part of the DM to say the least. It mustn't be obvious, expecially for the experienced players.

The system used would be mostly E6 or a White Wolf like system. The peasant hero would be a concept taken from the 2E FH, and would have a few additional rogue skills. The Tracker/Ranger would not have access to divine/nature spells. The Knight would be your standard warrior while the Clergyman would have a "Faith" score which would allow him to perform some minor feats (raise morale, temp hp, bless, purify and later turn/hold undead). So initially the game would reflect a low fantasy or no magic adventure but as the players/character realise that they are no longer in the safe pragmatic logical earth the weird and wonderful aspect of Ravenloft would gradually creep up and it would finally dawn on the characters/players where they truly are (without the safety of having a fireball as a weapon).

An additional character concept could be an Alchemist/Sage type using potions, lotions and powders and having knowledge of herbal lore. Of course this would require much initial work from the DM.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads