• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about Savage Worlds

Von Ether

Legend
For people who are DnD heavy, there are two major pardaigm shifts needed to make the switch from DnD:

Fluid Damage system: Similar to MnM, (but I think SW predates it), SW has a damage system where a "hero point" can erase all damage as well as damage is measured in a few "wound levels" of condition compared to hit points. Some DnDers get frustrated that they can't nickel and dime away on a monster's life.

Attack Options: In most cases what would take a couple of feats to do well in DnD is simply offered as an effective combat manuver (Bull Rush vs. needing Improved Bull Rush, Grapple vs. needing Improved Grapple etc.)

So, a lot of DnDers expect to go toe to toe with a monster and just keep swinging, expecting the Edges to add up to dramatic results. They help, but when you add on an Attack Option, then the enemy feels it and goes down much faster.

Actually, I'm one of the fellows who think the test drive rules sell the game short since it doesn't provide any of the Attack Options listed in the main book.

The key to combat in SW is to weaken the opponet into a "Shaken" condition and then pile on the hurt. :)

Out of combat some new ideas for DnD guys are:

Fewer spells: The idea in SW worlds is that the only difference between magic missle and a fire ball is the special effect and how many power points you invested for damage. So like 10 direct damage spells in DnD are actually represented by two powers, Bolt and Blast.

Edges, not classes: In SW, you can easily use Edges to build something resembling (again in broad strokes), a class idea. The most fun I have as a SW GM is when someone who complained that SW was "too restrictive" for character options at 1st level is now bewildered with how many choices in Edges they have later.

SW may not be for everyone, but for some of us it hits a sweet spot.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Oh. I REALLY like dealing initative. So much so, it is now my standard for init for all my games that I play. Other than core D&D, where I have software to track everything.

D20Modern, SWd20, M&M, etc. We use a +3 = +1 Card rule ... Makes Dex 14 + Imp. Init the sweet spot for getting the best average number of cards, but the speed makes up for it.

Everybody knows when they go by glancing around the table, everybody can remember their init even if they go to the john (without writing anything down), and I like to flop the cards slowly over, so when we get to the monster init and it goes ... 2 ... 3 .... Ace! Everybody can groan.

There's usually some wailing and gnashing of teeth when a new player joins the game, but they eventually learn to love it.

OR ELSE.

--fje

BluSponge

Explorer
Turanil said:
I hear it's rule lite: so is it too lite? Is it really fast to play? What about characters: is there character classes, levels, special abilities? How does magic work? How many rulebooks and supplements published? How does it compare to d20? What about Savage World with fantasy, with modern, and with sci-fi? ETC.

I LOVES me some Savage Worlds. It really is the first game I've played that I've seriously thought could be my mainstay for many years to come.

Da Rules: Savage World isn't rules lite. More rules medium. The general mechanic is pretty simple. Each trait (skill or attribute) is ranked by a die type: d4, d6, d8, d10, d12. Roll the die with imposed modifiers and try to beat a TN of 4. That's it! However, with the inclusion of Edges and Hindrances, fully integrated mass combat and chase rules, the game quickly moves away from its rules lite candy shell. Not that these add-ons complicate things much -- the moniker "Fast! Furious! Fun!" is very accurate. A lot of folks call SW "book keeping lite." I would describe it as rules lite enough for GMs, crunchy enough for players. :D

Characters: SW sports a point based chargen system. Players get a number of points to put towards attributes and skills, and then flesh out their concept by choosing Hindrances (disadvantages) and Edges (advantages, or special abilities). There are no classes, though there are "Professional Edges" that serve a vaguely similar role (though they are perhaps closer in concept to Prestige Classes).

Magic: SW employs a system of "powers" that encompasses everything from magic to mad science to super powers. Basically, the character has to have a special edge (arcane background) to employ "powers" (spells). The game uses spell points. Unlike 3e and a lot of other FRPGs with a vast spell library, SW goes for a less is more approach. Instead of 20 gradually more powerful variations of magic missile, there is a single "bolt" power. Players may customize these power archetypes by adding "trappings". Consider this, Acid Arrow and Icebolt do more or less the same thing, except that acid arrow employs an acid element and icebolt...ice. Trappings can be anything from physical or metaphysical effects (like the ice arrow and acid arrow example), to required components or just about anything you can dream up, and can even change the effect of the power in slight ways. The upside of this is that you get a LOT of mileage out of the 20+ powers in the core book. The downside is it does not recreate the "walking spell arsenal" DnD-style mage. This may or may not be important to you. (FYI, one of GWG's forthcoming Fantasy Toolkits is going to add some 35+ new Powers to the mix!)

Books: GWG's has held pretty strictly to it's two book rule. All you need to play any SW setting is the core book and a setting book. There are no endless streams of suppliments pouring out to support any of its world books. The sole exception is with the 50 Fathoms (fantasy pirates in a doomed world) for which a companion was published, but is only available in .pdf. As it stands, there are five settings available with more on the way:

Evernight (more of a module than a world setting, think apocalyptic fantasy)
50 Fathoms (PIRATES!)
Weird Wars: Tour of Darkness (Horror/Supernatural set against the Vietnam war)
Necessary Evil (Supers setting where the bad guys have to save the world)
Rippers (Victorian-era horror monster-hunter fantasy!)

Compare to d20: There is no comparison. SW is superior in every way! :D
Ok, seriously though, SW is a different beast than d20 that just happens to like the same brand of shoes. It has crunch, it has tactical combat, it works with minis and without, and it is a roleplaying game. That's about where the similarities end. In my experience, SW handles almost everything faster with less book keeping and more satisfying results than d20. It has a lot of gamist features (card based initiative, bennies, etc.) that add a lot of fun to game play. It's also a snap to design adventures, build or convert settings, and create new elements (powers, npcs, monsters, whatever). The game focuses on a fun gaming experience over excuriatingly detailed features, and succeeds in almost every way. The ONLY complaint I've heard from my group in over a year had to do with the walking-arsenal mage issue I mentioned above. Ultimately, I find it hard to compare the two games. Compared to my experiences with d20 (both as a GM and player), SW is an absolute joy! Naturally, YMMV.

Fantasy, Modern, Sci-fi: Yes, SW does all these things. About the only thing I don't think it would do well is gritty psychological horror, but there are plenty who would tell me how wrong I was. :)

I can't recommend the game enough.
Tom

Turanil

First Post
Aaargh! You are selling me on that game! I think that tomorrow I will fail a Will save against buying compulsion and run to the FLGS buy it.

Now a question: I am interested in this game mainly for sci-fi and Cthuluesque pulp-horror action. Would the game fit? What supplements?

Last edited:

BluSponge

Explorer
In case you're interested, here is an example of a SW character, straight from my fantasy campaign. This is a mage-thief type character, with kobolds being a brownie-like trickster race.

Tynian Dolament
Race: Kobold

Attributes
D8 AGILITY
D8 SMARTS
D6 SPIRIT
D6 STRENGTH
D4 VIGOR

PACE: 6
PARRY: 6
TOUGHNESS: 4

Skills
D6 Thaumaturgy
D8 Fighting
D6 Throwing
D6 Notice
D4 Climbing
D8 Stealth
D6 Lockpicking

Edges
Invisibility (racial)
Low-Light Vision (racial)
Arcane Background (Thaumaturgy)
Alertness

Hindrances
Small (racial)
Outsider (racial)
Vengeful (major)
Habit: Cleptomania (minor)
Loyal (minor)

Powers
Mend
Wall Walking
Cantrip

POWER POINTS: 10

Aaron2

Explorer
HeapThaumaturgist said:
Oh. I REALLY like dealing initative. So much so, it is now my standard for init for all my games that I play. Other than core D&D, where I have software to track everything.
How does dealing initiative work? Do players get multiple cards? Can you get the same results just by rolling d12s?

Plus, isn't there a problem with granularity? FWIR, all character have skills with only 5 possible values (d4-d12)

Aaron

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I'll echo most of what is said above. SW is quick, easy, and overall fun to play. For my play styles it's a little too "lite" as I love the options available to me in D&D. However, for quick games that I don't have to plan much on, SW is the way to go IMO. It's a good game and one I'm happy I picked up (pdf).

Kane

BluSponge

Explorer
Turanil said:
I downloaded the "test drive" and various add-ons. I have yet to read them. Nonetheless, although it looks good and fast, one thing doesn't please me: you deal the same amount of damage whatever weapon you use... Looks like (before careful reading) that a two-handed sword is no better than a dagger. :\

Not so. Hand weapons deal the weilder's Strength die in damage as a base, but are augmented based on the weapon. For example, your fist does STR damage, a dagger does STR+1 damage, a short sword STR+2, a long sword STR+3.

Ranged weapons generally deal around 2d6 damage.

Also something to consider is the way damage works in SW. This is not like DnD where you are depleting a pool of hit points. In SW, when you roll damage, you are trying to beat your opponent's Toughness score in order to stun ("shake") or wound him. If you roll damage equal =/> your opponent's Toughness, they are "shaken", and can't do anything but defend themselves until they have a chance to unshake on their initiative (this requires a regular spirit roll, TN 4). If you roll a "raise" on your damage roll (=/> your opponent's Toughness+4), your opponent is wounded.

Now, opponents in SW come in two classes. They can be Wild Cards, making them equivilant to PCs, in which case they can take 3 wounds before going down. Or they can be Mooks, in which case one wound takes them down for good. Naturally, mooks make up the majority of the opponents the players are going to face.

Tom

Masked Otaku

First Post
Aaron2 said:
How does dealing initiative work? Do players get multiple cards? Can you get the same results just by rolling d12s?

Plus, isn't there a problem with granularity? FWIR, all character have skills with only 5 possible values (d4-d12)

Aaron

You act on your cards number, counting down Ace -> 2
If two players have the same number order is determined by suite in reverse alphabetical order [Spades, Hearts, Diamond, Club.]

If you draw a Joker you get a +2 to everything that round and can go at any time. The deck is reshuffled after a Joker is drawn.

Some Edges let you draw more than one card and keep the best one.

The d12 method is given as an alternate, with 12 acting like a Joker. One side effect with this is that it's possible for multiple people to get the "Joker" bonus in the same round.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads