• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Tell me about the Pathfinder setting

johnnype

First Post
I know a little bit having scanned the first couple issues of Pathfinder a year or so ago. Now I'm curious about the finished product. I know it's 3.5. I'm more interested in the details of the setting itself.

How big is it?
What races are present? Any new ones?
What about classes and prestige classes? How are they new or different?
Is there a general feel one gets from the setting? For example Midnight (evil has won) and the Iron Kingdoms (steampunk) have very definitive setting details that set them apart. Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms are more generic, one could even call them "vanilla".
Geographic, political or planar differences?
Are there any notable exclusions?
What caught your eye?
Are the guides to Korvosa and Darkmoon Vale worth buying?

Tell me everything in as much or little detail as you like.

zwyt

First Post
Well I had to Postpone buying my copy of the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting because of car trouble and a financial tight spot but I have all but one of the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path and will get it soon then I will Start on Curse of the Crimson Throne, I have the Gazeteer, Classic Monsters Revisited, the Guide to Korvosa, The Rise of the Rune Lords Map Folio and the Pathfinder RPG Beta and I have to say this, of everything I have seen Published by Paizo it is all gold. I would not be afraid to buy a product from then blind having never seen what was between the covers (at least the Pathfinder related stuff) because I have simply seen nothing of low quality whatsoever that they have published. The Setting is pretty much classic fantasy, moderate level of magic but left open enough that you could really make it whatever magic level that you wanted. Loads of depth to everything they have done thus far. I don't know about prestiege classes yet because I don't have the full campaign setting, each of the Adventure paths has a bestiary that includes something like six monsters or so and they just get better as the Adventure Paths go. Adventure Paths have Pregenerated Characters that you can use if you want to but the Adventures are not written specifically for then, there are other articles besides adventures that cover things about the world in the adventure paths books and you can get 'em as a subscription at about 30% off of the cover price you would pay in a store, not to mention discounted on Amazon.com. I think if you buy your first one you will be hooked with can't wait to get the next one syndrome. Pathfinder Chronicles cover things about the world and the like, The Adventure Paths focus on the Adventures of course, There is a new line called Pathfinder Companion and if I recall correctly it is kind of a player oriented book with a lot of information about the world and the like that pcs would be likely to know.

Charles

Jack99

Adventurer
I play 4e, not Pathfinder.

However, Pathfinder Campaign Setting is built for the Pathfinder RPG, not 3.5. It is, in case you do not know, more like 3.75.

Races and Classes are the same as in 3.5 (at least in name) but have all been upgraded (read changed) a bit. Due to not ever going to play PRPG, I must admit that I have not delved on the crunch, just the fluff.

From reading the books and the various boards, I think you would call it vanilla. In some ways, it reminds me off Greyhawk, just better (Do note that I never liked Greyhawk). Of course, it has been many years since I actually read about Greyhawk in depth, so my memory could be playing tricks on me.

I also have both of the guides (Korvosa and Darkmoon Vale) and they are very good.

Overall I would say that it is a great generic setting, a la FR or Greyhawk, but better in some (many) ways. It is definitely the setting I mine the most for ideas for my own setting, and most likely the setting I would run as-is, if I decided to run my 4e game in an established setting.

NiTessine

Explorer
It's large enough, I'd say. The campaign setting book details two continents roughly the size of Europe.

All the regular D&D races. No major new races, though there is stuff like sentient flying apes in the jungles of the Mwangi Expanse, and so forth.

If you play 3.5, classes aren't different, though there are some new optional class abilities for each of the PHB base classes in the campaign setting book. There's even one that gives fighter decent skill points and class skills. There are five prestige classes in the campaign setting book, a couple of more (mostly religion-based) in the adventure path books. The ones in the setting book are Harrower, a gypsy fortune-teller with a special deck of cards (That Paizo actually sells. I think it won an ENnie.); Low Templar, a self-serving, opportunistic crusader who must ultimately choose between good and evil; Pathfinder Chronicler, a bard prestige class for members of the Pathfinder Society; Red Mantis Assassin, which is pretty much what the name says; and Shackles Pirate, a reaver of the seas who gains supernatural powers from his connection to the Eye of Abendego, a permanent maelstrom.

I'd call Golarion the ultimate kitchen sink setting. There's a place for everything in there, though in some of the more out-there cases it's a really small place that you can easily ignore. There are firearms in there, in a small and remote duchy somewhere in Garund, and there's a barbarian land where a humongous spaceship has crashed, granting the primitive locals strange materials and equipment. There's the Land of the Linnorm Kings, for the Viking myths, and next to it is Irrisen, a country founded by Baba Yaga, for the Slavic ones. I would not call Golarion "vanilla". I'd say they bumped off the ice cream salesman and ran off with the whole cart.

Geographically, think of Europe and Northern Africa and you won't be far off. The similarity is striking - you've got Avistan, with the European-influenced cultures (and a couple of places really out there) in the north, and then you've got Garund, with the Egypt-analogue, the big desert and the jungles of the Mwangi Expanse down south. In between, there's the Inner Sea.

Politically, we've got all kinds of interesting things. There's a theocracy of Asmodeus, a fledgling democracy, a lot of aristocracies with different levels of decadence and so forth. Qadira, one of the major players of the Inner Sea region, is actually just the westernmost province of a great eastern empire.

The planes are a bit different, in that there are less of them and the setting doesn't use the Great Ring, but the inspiration is clearly there. I think I'll adapt the Great Ring for Golarion when I start running it.

There are no notable exclusions, I think. Golarion is notably inclusive.

What caught my eye about Golarion is how they've nearly tailor-made a place for each of the classic D&D adventures. There's your Egyptian desert for the Desert of Desolation series, your yellow-sailed Okeno slave ships for the Slavers series, the giants of Varisia living right atop the drow for some GDQ adaptation, a land of gothic horror for I6 Ravenloft, and so forth.

Also, there are troll diviners who cut open their own stomachs and divine from the entrails. That's in Classic Monsters Revisited and one of the adventure path modules, actually, but damn, it's awesome.

I don't have Guide to Darkmoon Vale yet, but I liked Guide to Korvosa.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
However, Pathfinder Campaign Setting is built for the Pathfinder RPG, not 3.5. It is, in case you do not know, more like 3.75.

Actually, the Pathfinder Campaign Setting is built for and uses the 3.5 rules 100% through and through. None of our products will be using the Pathfinder RPG rules until next summer, since the Pathfinder RPG rules are still very early in the beta run and are quite subject to change.

Of course, the goal is to have it so that when the Pathfinder RPG game is out next Gen Con, the 3.5 material will mostly be compatible (the change shouldn't be too much more drastic than the one between 3.0 and 3.5 in the end).

Jack99

Adventurer
Actually, the Pathfinder Campaign Setting is built for and uses the 3.5 rules 100% through and through. None of our products will be using the Pathfinder RPG rules until next summer, since the Pathfinder RPG rules are still very early in the beta run and are quite subject to change.

Of course, the goal is to have it so that when the Pathfinder RPG game is out next Gen Con, the 3.5 material will mostly be compatible (the change shouldn't be too much more drastic than the one between 3.0 and 3.5 in the end).

Ah yeah, of course. That makes perfect sense. Thanks for correcting my mistake.

daHeadRat

Explorer
Here is a link to a review of the Pathfinder Chronicles Gazetteer that might answer a number of your questions and largely echoes NiTessine's comments: http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2008/07/review-pathfinder-chronicles-gazetteer.html. Pretty much all of the information in the Gazetteer is repeated in the Campaign Setting book along with additional material. Most of the information in both the Gazetteer and Campaign Setting is setting and not rules.

Regarding Korvosa and Darkmoon Vale...I've not read Korvosa yet but I'm preparing to run a game that will take place in Darkmoon Vale. The area has quite a bit of adventure potential be it wilderness, dungeon crawl, political intrigue, horror, or whatever. The book opens with a 4 page overview of the region. This is followed by a 20+ page chapter on the wilderness of the region covering each of the major geographic locales, the organizations active in these areas, and the dangerous denizens who call these locales home. The Civilization chapter (16 pages) starts with a very brief look at the neighbors of Darkmoon Vale before covering the settlements in the Vale. The chapter also looks at the some of the major organizations of "civilized" folk (e.g., the Lumber Consortium), the common races in the Vale (e.g., dwarves, elves, etc.), and the prominent religions. Next is a short History chapter starting with the ancient Dwarven colonization and on to the more recent, in historical terms, human settlement. The last chapter is the Secrets chapter which covers, well, the lesser known things about the peoples and areas of the Vale. The book ends with a short, three page appendix with various rules information (e.g., statblocks for some common NPC types and random encounter tables).

I feel that the guide provides a good foundation for a GM to flesh out and make the region his or her own. Of course, Paizo also has a number of modules set in the area that have been well received. If you'd like more detail, let me know.

That said, the book does suffer from a number of, um, editing issues. Missing text, maps not properly labeled, inconsistent names (Olfden vs. Oldfen) and the like detract from the product. However, the Paizo folks have indicated on their website that--once they get a spare moment--they'll look to getting these things fixed and updated (maybe an errata or an updated pdf for those who have the electronic version...I don't know what it'll look like). Despite these issues, I still think the Guide is well worth the money. Oh, as with all of Paizo's stuff, it is quite visually pleasing.

Remove ads