• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about the terrain accessories...

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
We offer most of that stuff in as downloadable cardstock models. Here is our forest set:

DT4X.jpg

fdg0042a.jpg

fdg0042b.jpg

Nikroecyst

First Post
There was a company called Dwarfen Forge, or Dwarven Forge or something like that. They had all the premade plastic stuff that was soooo freakin kool. But personally I think its a lil on the expensive side whether you print or buy the stuff. Ink and sturdy paper still costs money.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
For cardstock, I prefer fat dragon games, but worldworks is also very popular.

Try the heroscape forums, under custom terrain - lots of tutorials there.

You can buy most of the terrain making stuff at train stores, as many have said.

I used to have a whole series of sites' links saved, I'll need to fire up the old computer....

phindar

First Post
This site is the one that got me interested in building wargame terrain, Terragenesis. It's possible to build great terrain inexpensively. Most of my stuff is made out of popcicle sticks, glue, craft paint and scrounged materials. This was the first project I ever tried, and I made enough ruined buildings to cover a 2'x4' battlemat for about $5.

scrubkai

Explorer
I'm going to strongly recommend WorldWorksGames if you are looking for low priced very good looking terrain.

They do cardstock based items that look really good and are easy to build. It holds up pretty well and you can print out as many copies of the items as you wish....

And yes, after having bought and built a bunch of their stuff, I can tell you that the end result ends up looking like the promotional pictures on the site.... (Particulary amazing are the builds of the pirate ship and the castle.)

They don't have too many trees, but they have an entire set of cave related items called Caveworks that should be exactly what you are looking for.

Last edited:

Ayrk

First Post
phindar said:
This site is the one that got me interested in building wargame terrain, Terragenesis. It's possible to build great terrain inexpensively. Most of my stuff is made out of popcicle sticks, glue, craft paint and scrounged materials. This was the first project I ever tried, and I made enough ruined buildings to cover a 2'x4' battlemat for about $5.

I'll second this. Terragenesis is an amazing site and also got me into terrain making.

Their pipecleaner trees are super simple to make, look great, and you can bend them how you want them.

SavageRobby

First Post
I have a lot of different types of terrain.

For cardstock, I second the recommendations for WorldWorksGames and Fat Dragon for Fantasy. EbblesMiniatures is great for SciFi, as well. There is also another company, Paper Miniatures AT, that does some very cool desert buildings and an Asian temple (I think you can find him on RPGNow). I really love me some cardstock terrain, and I have bins and bins and bins and bins of it - all that I've made, and I'm about the least crafty guy on the planet.

When buying premade terrain from ebay, which I also do, especially for irregular shaped items that its hard to make with paper (like good looking rocks), I typically search for the term war* terrain. That gets me the most results. There are a few really innovative sellers out there, but like always on ebay, check shipping, check seller feedback, check their location, etc. (There is currently a seller from Brazil selling a few nice items - but with 0 feedback, and $20 shipping.)

You might also check out Dundjinni or Campaign Cartographer. I use them to create battlemaps that I put under the terrain. A simple, but good looking battlemap can go a long way to making the rest of your terrain look even better.

Edit: Almost forget, but you can find some nice, if quirky, terrain at pet stores (try the big chains - PetSmart, etc). Its not painted the best, I've found some very nice looking terrain bits (rocks, ruins, bridges, hills, foliage) at decent prices.

Last edited:

Remove ads