• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell Me About the Warlock's Hideous Blow

taferial

First Post
Hideous blow is kinda weak imo, unless you spend a feat to use a martial weapon your going to be doing an aditional d8 damage at best, and If youve got a weapon worth adding your blast damage to, you should probably give it to your fighter.

Eldritch Glaive however is realy rather good, its part of my "Aieee, were getting mashed, time to do something stupid" actions. Chuck in a belt of battle and a haste and you can dish out some serious party saveing damage (most things that add damage to your blast wont work with the glaive though).

iirc eldritch blast was erated to be half your level, so concentration checks are a doddle.

If I were you, id let your player swap HB for EG as soon as he's able to. Hideous blow is a nice idea, but its definately not worth wasteing one of your very few nvocations on.

irdeggman

First Post
taferial said:
iirc eldritch blast was erated to be half your level, so concentration checks are a doddle.

Errata for EB:

Page 7: Eldritch Blast
Second paragraph of the Eldritch Blast ability description:
Change “An eldritch blast is the equivalent of a spell whose level is equal to one-half the warlock’s class level (round down), with a minimum spell level of 1st and a maximum of 9th when the warlock reaches 18th level or higher” to “An eldritch blast is the equivalent of a 1st-level spell. If you apply a blast shape or eldritch essence invocation to your eldritch blast (see page 130), your eldritch blast uses the level equivalent of the shape or essence.”

Any other references to eldritch blast being something other than the equivalent of a 1st-level spell should be disregarded. Any other references claiming that eldritch blast is not
an invocation should be disregarded. A warlock can use eldritch blast at will.

Page 8: Invocations and Eldritch Blast Change this section as follows:
Invocations and Eldritch Blast: Eldritch blast is an invocation. Other invocations provide a warlock with the ability to modify his eldritch blast or add new eldritch attacks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads