D&D 5E Tell me about your Artificer

jgsugden

Legend
I've played a lot of 5E and have tried out so much of it - and the only thing that has failed for me so far has been the Artificer. I've tried a few in one shots and one in a short campaign - and none of them worked for me. What I mean by this is that none of those PCs spoke to me, and mechanically they all felt a bit flat. So, I'm mostly interested in hearing from people that enjoyed playing one for 10+ levels ... but would also like to heatr any negative stories as well.

Stormonu

Legend
Not my character, but in the Saltmarsh game I ran, had a player who had visited the "metal mountain" in the Barrier Peaks and discovered an odd bracelet that had adhered to his arm (Artificer - Battlesmith). This multi-function tool did a wide variety of things - producing a small protective force field (shield), manifest a liquid beam that became a weapon (his short sword) and acted as a control panel for his Steel Defender. The player had a lot of fun with the Wierd Science aspect the character and his abilities.

I myself haven't run an Artificer yet, but I'm planning to try out a Dwarf Smith who makes his own weapons and arms (Artificer - Armorer).

I played a Rock Gnome Battle Smith Artificer in Descent to Avernus. I went with the "weird steampunk engineer" route as the theme for the character.

In the campaign, whenever he "cast a spell" I described the character pulling out some bizarre contraption and using that. For example, the Mark I version of faerie fire was an inflated sheep bladder filled with glowing fungal spores. Throwing it made the bladder deflate, spreading a cloud over the area. The Mark II was a gyrogear drone that flew through the air and peppered the targets with glowing paint. The Mark III was a fire extinguisher like vessel with a spray nozzle that I just sprayed the area with. When he cast Enhance Ability Strength, he reached into his bag and took out a metal can that read "Spinach" across the front of it. I never needed to cast Revivify, but if I had it would've taken the form of a defibrilator. When he cast Invisiblity, he pulled an adhesive patch out, stuck it to his arm, and activated it which appeared to completely electrocute him for a moment... and then he vanished. When he cast Alarm, he strung trip wires all around the area.

Part of the fun, and the challenge, of running the character was inventing something completely novel every time I cast a spell. I mostly succeeded. (Shield got to be too difficult.) It was important to always call things "Mark I", "Mark II", and so on, to reinforce that theme. When people would ask about the old versions, I'd just invent a reason that it was fatally flawed and not worth pursuing.

For my magic items, I took a Bag of Holding, which was invaluable if only as a prop for where all my gadgets were stored. I also took a revolver (a firearm with hand crossbow stats in our game) that had the Repeating Shot infusion on it. It was named "Hollywood" because you never reloaded it. Yes, it still had a six-shot cylinder. I mean, obviously it needs that or it wouldn't be a revolver. I also took an Alchemy Jug precisely because I wanted to find creative uses for 2 gallons of mayonnaise.

When I reached level 11, the "spell storing item" typically stored Invisibility. It took the form of a badge pinned to your left breast. When activated by tapping it, it specifically made the character disappear like a Romulan Cloaking Device, complete with the swooshing sound effect.

With Flash of Genius, I tried to have it work by having my character say something that was both very obvious but also very incorrect. "You could pick that lock much easier if you used the key." "Just don't think about that shower of acid, and it won't hurt you. Acid isn't real anyways!" "Have you tried remembering the things you've learned about Religion?" I don't know why I decided on that, but it was fun.

The Steel Defender took the form of a humanoid construct. I crafted a saddle for it and rode on it's back, raining down shots from Hollywood. I never had any combat feats, but it was fun! I even took Land Vehicle proficiency to help solidify it, and that became important in Avernus for other reasons.

The character was always in the role of support and utility. He never stood out in combat as a damage dealer, but he was always effective as a force multiplier. He was very hard to play a level 1 and 2, but once I got to level 3 and got Battle Ready, the character could easily hold his own in combat.

My overall evaluation:

Battle Smith has the most to offer overall and is the clear winner. Getting Int to attack rolls makes the class much easier to play, and Steel Defender is just a huge boon on top of that. You're incredibly diverse and flexible.

Artillerist seems mostly fun if you assume you're going to be pulling giant guns out. I never liked the idea of spawning turrets, but the idea of pulling out a combination rocket launcher and flame thrower seems fun.

Alchemist is extremely cool and you could use trappings of alchemical substances for spells. But, I think Experimental Elixir is so bad that it's difficult to justify the subclass at all. If you got 2 free elixirs every day at level 3 then I might try it, but as written it's just a feelsbad subclass.

Armorer seems fun if you really want to be about being a character that climbs into a magical battle suit. I'd like to run one eventually.

I was running a game where it was eternal winter - Ymir got killed at Ragnarok, and his body plummeted between planes, before crashing on this world and creating an 'impact winter'. So, it became post-apocalyptic

We used the original playtest for 5e artificer and one member of the party was an artificer, either gnome or halfling. His creature he had made was a robotic St Bernard named Scruffy that he used as a mount. His primary weapon was a shotgun, with the infusion to ignore needing ammo. It was actually pretty entertaining

Clint_L

Hero
My spouse plays a goblin artificer (battle smith) named Blimmig in our home game, and they love it! The premise is that Blimmig started out as a traveling toy crafter. So their cart is a traveling workshop but also a robot that transforms into a wonky steel defender when trouble happens (the side panels become shield/bludgeons, and a janky face pops up). My spouse role-plays all of Blimmig's spells as gadgets, and also has a hand-crafted pistol that occasionally jams, often at the worst moment.

As DM, my observation is that this is a very potent class/subclass for the jack of all trades role. Decent damage, a tanking assist, good for scouting with their homunculus, and fun as heck!

Last edited:

Andras

Explorer
I'm playing a Warforged Armorer right now, a member of the 227th Boskonian Astral Flotilla whose ship crashed after a fight with Gith Pirates. Now he's stuck using stone knives and bear skins to figure out a way to the stars. Casting Thunderwave is me smashing my thunder gauntlets together, firebolt is eye lasers. One of the players refuses to eat my Goodberries after the way I described how I cast it.

I'm playing an alchemist at the moment, though still only low level. Playing him as an arrogant intellectual Frankenstein type, complete with vengeful creepy renegade experiment on his trail. Everything is an alchemical or pharmaceutical treatment, he casts Guidance by taking a big snort of a powdered stimulant compound of his own concoction, etc. Enjoys dissecting any fallen foes that he find interesting.

Mechanically, I'm not really coming to grips with it yet. You have a broad arsenal of abilities, but it seems to be a mile wide and an inch deep, and they're largely out of combat or utility abilities. In a combat-heavy campaign, you often feel like you have no big gun to pull out in a serious fight. Other artificer subclasses get a major combat feature early on, but alchemists don't really. You're only a half caster so your attack spells are never going to be spectacular, especially since i rolled fairly mediocre stats and my Int bonus is nothing to write home about. I still find my crossbow (for 1d8+2 damage...) is a go-to attack option most of the time. Your spell list has ok combat options like Faerie Fire etc, but you just have so few spell slots that you have to be stingy with them because sooner or later the party will really need that Healing Word or Feather Fall.

Experimental Elixir is a bit of a mixed bag. At low level, it can be really good. No-concentration 10 minute duration flight at level 3 for the cost of a 1st level spell slot is very useful, even if it's low speed. But it's yet more competition for your very limited supply of spells slots, and like many of your abilities, it's a utility, out-of-combat thing, so it doesn't solve the 'um, I shoot it with my crossbow i guess?' problem. At a higher level, most of the elixir options are going to become pretty obsolete I think, although +1d4 on all saves and attacks never gets old. WotC often has this problem with subclasses with random features - the random table is too small, so the randomness loses its novelty and unpredictability fast. Wild Magic barbarian was the same. Spirit bard was a bit better, because it used a bigger dice and unlocked more powerful options as you gained in level. Still, you could probably homebrew an expanded elixir table to make things more interesting.

As for infusions, i basically took enhanced defence and replicate bag of holding, and have never used any others. I also know Create Homonculus and Enhanced Weapon, but my two standards are just too good to ever swap out. I can think of times a homonculus might be useful, but we already have a familiar in the party which can do the same things better, in general.

I think the key will be to embrace being a support character who does most of their work out of combat, or in preparation for combat. As a half-caster you're never going to have big attack spells to throw around, and unlike armorers or battlesmiths you'll never get extra attack so combat won't be your go either. But you've got a moderate bit of healing to throw around, and Invisibility and Rope Trick never go out of style, while Heat Metal and Acid Splash give you at least something to do in combat once Alchemical Savant kicks in.

As for the future build, I'm not too sure. I just hit 4th level and am wondering what to do with my feat/ASI. Increasing Int is the obvious thing to do, but even though some class abilities are int-based, is it really worth it for a half-caster? Metamagic Adept with Twin Spell could be useful for a support character to double up on the buffs. Poisoner is very in-character, but poison is expensive to craft and of dubious utility in a Tomb of Annihilation campaign where loads of the enemies are undead, or else dinosaurs with massive Con saves. I could take Skilled and become a sort of quasi-rogue I suppose - we don't have one in the party and artificers already get thieves tools proficiency. Or else I could go with Telekinetic, which would give me a few extra utility and combat options while being half way to an Int increase that i can complete with Telepathic at 8th level.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Man. Artificer. Love ‘em, but frankly half the infusions are painfully boring.

IMO they should be more significant, even the low level ones.

But! I still love the class.

I have played the same Artificer in 3 games that fell apart (I’m cursed), as well as a high level Artificer in a couple one-shots, and my wife runs a level 16 artificer, and it’s been a blast.

Kid started as a Star Wars Saga Edition force sensitive scoundrel with outlaw tech talents, mechanics, and computers, and a mechanical droidified (miniaturized astromech droid brain and data port thingie) arm. She lived in a junkyard, and got food and supplies by chopping stolen vehicles and devices, before meeting the other PCs, and she was 14 years old. She was, in a word, delightfully unhinged. Her only friends were droids, and a runaway noble turned privateer who was also a bit unhinged, played by my wife.

It was really funny for me when, even after failing to flirt with a waiter the session before because she’s a kid, no one gave any thought to taking her on a mission to raid a slave ship and kill the slavers, free thier captives, and steal their boat, until I reminded the player of the falucian shaman who had started to take her under his wing. The faces.

Anyway, that campaign ended due to a friend falling out, and when my wife started a curse of Strahd campaign I decided to port Kid over to 5e, as an Artillerist Artificer. Coming up with ways to describe your spells as being devices and such is a lot of fun even at low levels, but it’s definitely a class that comes alive at level 3. I’ve built her as a forge adept with an arm-blade (Morningstar) that is her special forge adept weapon, to represent the falucian weapon tradition, armor of tools (old UA), wand of detect magic, and spell ring bc like…these low level infusions.
I also built her as a forge adept/kensei monk as a prospective future version where she has matured in magic/force adept, but obv that’s a future version of anything.
That campaign hasn’t started yet, but will come full circle as it’s a Space Fantasy game heavily inspired by Star Wars (and Trek, and 90’s sci-fantasy cartoons, etc.

My later level artificer is a level 14 Forest Gnome whose items are a little more weird and naturey. He’s an Artillerist, whose arcane firearm is a “crossbow”, and Eldritch cannon is a little spriggan buddy made of twigs and moss. He’s fun.

My wife’s gnome Artificer is an unhinged monster with far too many pets. It’s fun to DM for.

Vael

Legend
I played a Maverick Artificer (3rd party subclass from Exploring Eberron, it gains extra cantrips and bonuses to them and the ability to prepare spells from other class lists) in a campaign that didn't last long. It was ... interesting, the problem is the extra spells the Maverick provides are stapled to a class with only half caster progression, I dunno, I felt like I wasn't quite pulling my weight.

Artificers are one of my favourite classes, in 3.5 and 4e, and this particular incarnation seems to be missing something.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Kelvin was born into the Moriartus family, infamous as the most criminally minded of gnomes, experts in smuggling, extortion, banditry, theft, and virtually any other mode of crime and skulduggery available. Which is fine, if you don't mind the reputation that comes with it.

Kelvin did mind. He sought admission into the one clan that didn't define its membership by family relations, but by merit, hoping to eliminate the stain on his own reputation. To earn his way in, he started working with the Harpers and putting his cutting-edge magical talents to use in intelligence gathering (so, he has a Spy background).

He was eventually assigned to look into unusual events happening around the town of Phandelver, and took up with some adventurers there (and entered an expanded version of the Dragon of Ice Spire Peak).

I had created Kelvin thinking that he'd go either Alchemist or Battlesmith, and events just spoke to the latter as a better choice. He's generally a gadgeteer, often riding his Steel Defender into battle, wielding an infused crossbow as his main weapon of choice. His healing spells generally come from a small box he calls an auto-doc, loaded with herbal goo and alchemical essences that automatically diagnoses and treats injury, injecting via needles that pop out of the side of the device, and bandaging using spray-on compounds. Other spells are often skinned as settings on his infused crossbow, or advanced functions of gnomish and magical tinkerings...

Some Artificers say they are using technology instead of magic. Kelvin's take is that he knows full well what he does is magic, but he's on the cutting edge of theory, using experimental and unproven methods, for which artifice serves as a stabilizing focus and support.

Remove ads