• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me about your monk

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Not my monk, but one in a game I play in.

He's an Aristocrat/Monk going for Templar and keeps a copy of Machiavelli with the character sheet at all times.

He has the most insane luck and continually tries insane plans.

He really likes windows. He has entered through them (jumping between them several stories up), exited through second story ones (in an effort to grapple and piledrive a Succubus into the ground), and sat in them, waving at the kobolds inside (who had orders to shoot anyone who entered, but were confused as to whether he was inside or not).

He has stopped a Red Dragon from Overrunning him.

He really likes to trip & grapple paladins (and has even pulled one off of his horse). [He's not evil, he just likes to do this, for some strange reason]

He sat in the woods for a week without food to get a druid's attention.

He conspired with others to plug a big hole with a big dead toad.

He also has a tendancy to tell continually tell my Paladin to grow a pair.

The list goes on and on.

Each week, we wonder what he'll come up with next.

Aron was a big, friendly guy who looked like Little John. His mother was a werefalcon, but he didn't inherit the condition. He belonged to a special order called the Order of the Silver Lining, which allowed him to multiclass as a bard, as long as he kept his monk level higher (or tied for higher). (IMC bards can be lawful.)

The Silver Lining monks are followers of Cereus Cloudminder, the god of intelligence and clouds. He is normally seen as an aloof deity, but these monk/bards were devoted to representing his more charming and personable aspects. They loved books, singing, old legends, and a healthy perspective.

Actually Aron was the first and, at the time, only member of the Order of the Silver Lining. But he dedicated himself to increasing the fold.

The Spectrum Rider

Cedric

First Post
I'm playing a human monk in the Forgotten Realms right now. He started life as a Sorcerer and sought the path of knowledge in service to Oghma. However, he quickly became disillusioned with sorcery, because it was obvious he would never excel at it.

Instead he focused on the lesser known aspect of Oghma as a wrestler. Already very large and physically fit (I took the Jotunbrud feat), Garan struck out on his own to travel and learn of hand to hand combat, but more importantly wrestling.

I concentrated on the wrestling like monk feats, Improved Grapple, Improved Trip, Improved Overrun, etc. With my meager sorcerer abilities I can throw up Mage Armor and Enlarge Person (meaning I grapple and trip as if I am Huge, because of Jotundrud).

He is still a mostly quiet but friendly sort of simple fellow. He crafts his own flutes and sings. He will find a boy or a girl interested in his music and give them his flute, then carve another for himself.

His name is Garan Stonestance...(1st sorcerer/12th monk)

Cedric

- as a side note, I would just like to say that I had already started playing the character before I realized the resemblence to Cain from Kung Fu..*sighs*

Last edited:

My monk is Kage Oncepriest - a Monk 8/Fighter 1.
He's been expelled from his order for falling in love with Azure Pendragon, a fighter 4/Paladin 5 - who is now his fiance (and is my wife's player character). Paladins of Azure's order are able to marry under certain conditions. In order for them both to marry, they must first obtain a signature weapon of their respective orders - a holy sword and a sunblade.

Kage will no longer advance as a monk (he's multiclassed) but is discovering the inner secrets of his Tiger Claw style of combat. Next level this will manifest itself as him gaining a level in the Singh Rager PrC from OA.

Kage fights unarmed predominantly, having completed the Mighty Works Mastery I martial art. His all time achievement was when he went one-on-one, hand-to-hand with a yuan-ti pureblood. His first hit missed (at the end of a charge) and then he took a pasting for a round. Next round his first strike was a stunning blow; the yuan-ti failed its saving throw and then he tripped it, disarmed it and cut sick. Before it could recover from the stunning blow, it was dead.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
The PC monks in my games all tend to be kobolds, and have all been named Yip.

Essentially, the church of St Cuthbert got hold of them and stripped them of all individuality, turning them into living weapons they could send swarming into trap-laden thieves guilds.

With their speed equivelent to medium creatures, and the added bonus of natural armor, Kobold monks are surprisingly effective at lower levels.

Synicism

First Post
My monk character is a 2nd level Anthropomorphic Tiger monk (total ECL 5) from Savage Species. I think he is poised to become the party's premier melee combatant, notwithstanding the fact that we have a 5th level half-orc paladin with a 20 strength. We're all 5th level characters built on a 32 point buy.

His AC is higher than the magic-full-plate wearing half-orc paladin, he (ab)uses the fact that monks can make unarmed attacks even when holding weapons to tote around a spiked chain (Anthro Tigers get Power Attack as a racial feat and he has Combat Reflexes) so he's got a zillion Attacks of Opportunity because of his reach and unreasonably high Dexterity, he's got great stealth and sensory skills, and in a few levels' time, he's going to get Improved Disarm or Improved Sunder (I'm using an option from Dragon Magazine's Variant Fist article) and will be even more nasty.

Sure those enemy fighters are nasty with their weapons and stuff, but fighters can't Tumble and picking an object off the ground draws attacks of opportunity. And come to think of it, so does making an unarmed attack against a monk. And his BAB is only two points lower than the Paladin's.

The fact that he can jump down off a 30' wall and take no damage, without even having slow fall, is fun too. Very Jackie Chan/Jet Li. With fur.

Gregor

First Post
Jeph said:
Facts about my monk:

1. My monk is a mammal.
2. My monk fights ALL the time.
3. The purpose of my monk is to flip out and kill people.

Your monk is cool, and by cool I mean totally sweet! :D

FoxWander

Adventurer
My monk was created for a one-shot adventure for a DM that wanted to try out the oriental adventures book when it first came out. Because it was a one-shot we made characters that were a little silly but I liked mine so much I keep hoping I'll be able to play him again. He's a Hengeyokai Rabbit named Akimbo and he always goes around in hybrid form, so basically he's a small anthropmorphic bunny- 8th level Monk/3rd level Sorcerer. I chose his feats around a martial art style that emphasized ridiculous leaps, kicks and grappling. I named it "Frothing Weasal Style" (I figured rabbits would have great respect for the weasel, especially the rabid, frothing kind. :p ). Basically he would leap onto an opponent's face starting with a power-attack pumped bite attack then latch on with improved grapple and gnaw on him till he was dead. He has an 18 str so it's a pretty effective tactic, especially against casters. I also favored the "Bunny Kick!" (don't forget the exclamation point!) attack where I'd leap straight up and use flurry-of-blows (kicks) to the face. :D As for the sorcerer side, I played him like his spells were part of his martial arts style- the somatics were elaborate katas and those weird finger shapes from ninja movies. So my 'Cause Fear' was an impressive kata display with a Bruce Lee-like "Yeeeeaaahhhooowwwwaaah!!!", 'Magic Missile' was throwing magical darts, stuff like that. Basically he was just a riot to play, even when his moves failed miserably. I'd like to get him up to epic levels so I can get the Vorpal Strike feat to go with his bite attack. :D

Last edited:

TroyXavier

First Post
I used some alternate rules to make mine.(The alternate monk stuff from issue 310 and Oriental Adventures)

Marran
Human Monk Level 20 LN
Str 16 AB Melee +18 Ranged +20 Unarmed +18
Dex 20 HP 180
Con 16 AC 30
Int 13 FS +15
Wis 28 RS +17
Cha 10 WS +21
Abilities(Traded Feats 1, 2, and 6, Still Mind, Slow Fall, Unarmored Bonus, and Speed for Favored Enemy, Swift Tracker, Damage Reduction, Detect Chaos, Uncanny Dodge, and Improved Uncanny Dodge)

Favored Enemies (Aberration +10, Giant +2, Monstrous Humanoid +2, Dragon +2, Animal +2), Detect Chaos, Improved Evasion, Improved Unarmed Strike, Greater Flurry, Ki Strike(Magic, Law, Adimantium), Wholeness of Body, Diamond Body, Abundant Step, Damage Reduction 5/-, Swift Tracker, Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Diamond Soul, Quivering Palm, Timeless Body, Tongues of the Sun, Empty Body, Perfect Self

Feats: Dodge, Track, Expertise, Superior Expertise, Power Attack, Fists of Iron, Roundabout Kick, Flying Kick

Skills: Tumble +30, Survival +24, Listen +34, Jump +25, Tumble +30, Escape Artist +28, Spot +19, Move Silently +13

Magic Items
Periapt of Wisdom +6, Kama +2 Shocking, Siangham +1 Chill,
Bracers of Armor +6, Deep Red Sphere, Dark Blue Rhomboid, Monk's Belt, Boots of Striding and Springing, Gloves of Arrow Snaring

Remove ads