Tell me of Kingdoms of Kalamar

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Deset Gled said:
The Stone Dwarf is overpowered. I made a fairly in depth analysis of my opinion on this one here: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=83734 Note that this analysis is based of the 3.5 update. My opinions on other races below are based off of the 3.0 versions.

That dwarf thread (from 2004) must also be about the 3.0 version, not the 3.5 update (2007, only a couple months old). In any case, for now, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. :) I think that, when viewed as a whole (not just on its ability scores alone), each current KPG subrace is as balanced as the PHB sub/race.

Darklone

Most people can't imagine how many Kalamar things sound in German...

Uzhi from Osvolen... Every German thinks of a prostitute from Eastern Poland. :D

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Kafkonia said:
Really. How interesting. Because I bought a "3.5 Kalamar DM Shield" from rpgshop.com a few months back, and got a 3.0 one. Hmm.

Sounds like rpgshop had some old backstock of the 3.0 edition, and didn't know the difference. I suggets you contact them and tell them that they messed up your order, if too much time hasn't passed since then.

Easiest way to tell the difference is that the 3.5 version has a map of Tellene on the back (the 3.0 version has a continuation of the same scene from the cover).

If they can't resolve the situation, email me [mark (at) kenzerco (dot) com] and I'll see what I can do to help.

Last edited:

Kafkonia

First Post
Mark Plemmons said:
Sounds like rpgshop had some old backstock of the 3.0 edition, and didn't know the difference. I suggets you contact them and tell them that they messed up your order, if too much time hasn't passed since then.

Easiest way to tell the difference is that the 3.5 version has a map of Tellene on the back (the 3.0 version has a continuation of the same scene from the cover).

If they can't resolve the situation, email me [mark (at) kenzerco (dot) com] and I'll see what I can do to help.

Thanks Mark, I'll get in touch with them first.

This is why you guys are the best!

theemrys

First Post
Just to add my 2 cp on the races issue... I haven't had an issue with balance in any of my games, although I'll admit they aren't non-human heavy. The biggest thing I like about it is no ECL increase... I really don't like having PC races with an ECL more than 0, so it was nice to see drow, deep gnomes, etc with a +0 ECL.

Also, I'm a BIG fan of having one pantheon of gods that cover all races... Sure, the different races have different names, but the gods behind the names are all the same. Somehow feels more "right" to me.

That being said, I love the Kalamar setting. I was one of the ones who got the campaign guide pretty quick when it came out... found it a hard read and shelved it for a while... then the 3.0 Player's Guide came out.. and I fell in love with the setting. Going back and looking at the Campaign Guide now I see it as amazing and full of GREAT info. It is just not a style that you can sit down and read cover to cover.

I'm not a big fan of the pulp or "over the top magic" style, so I like Kalamar for what it is... a solid base setting I can do what I want with. I am also VERY happy to have a setting that the creators have no plan to advance the timeline of the setting. That means earth shattering events shoudl never overcome my campaign unless I choose them to.

I hope you give Kalamar a chance!

GeorgeFields

Explorer
I had the original orange box set before Kalamar jumped into D&D 3e. I bought the 3e campaign book as soon aa it hit the shelves.

My players had never heard of Kalamar before I started my first campaign there. All of them LOVED it! As a DM, I've abandoned other published settings. I might snag an idea or two from them, but that's it.

The Kenzer boards a GREAT, too. I've made a lot of friends the few years I've been on them. The Kenzer staff if always there to help out ,too.

As the knight at the end of IJ and the Last Crusade said: "You have chosen....wisely."

Hail & Peace

Remove ads