• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me of the coolest feature of some monster...

kirinke

First Post
Gold Roger said:
Posession.
Not the "Now I'm you" total possession, but the "riding along, whispering in your head kind of possession. And, as a little inovation, tack in the ability to possess multiple targets at the same time.

Lol. My newest character is possessed by a demon with that particular ability. Good thing it's reformed and hiding from his former associates.

Not sure if this is what you mean but...

Darksun's Tembos.

CE to the point wars stop to hunt these guys down. They steal babies for Korgunard's sake!

Unpredictable- I never use them the same way twice. They hunt using tactics or fight amongst each other while battleing you. They use "smaller" prey to like a fisherman uses a worm for fish. Nasty nasty nasty

Psionics

Physical attacks

Dodge / Deflect Arrows abilities

The critters are just plain well rounded and nasty

Tinner

First Post
Insidious Offers

This gets used in Wraith: the Oblivion, as well as in Earthdawn with the Horror known as Tempter.
Essentially the critter lurks in your mind, whispering offers of power and aid for your cause.
Need just a little more strength to save that child from the falling rocks?
He'll be glad to give it to you. Of course, the first taste is free.
All the while this critter is manipulating things to put you in situations where your inate power isn't going to be enough. You can choose to fail, or you can accept the insidious offer.
Sooner or later though, you pay the piper. Sometime you're going to need that strength boost, and it isn't going to be there. And the little voice will act so sorry and apologize. Of course you can have that awesome godlike power again, just do a little something for me.
It's nothing really, just a little white lie ... this time.
Of course next time it's just a little theft ... or a little murder.
And of course you're totally free to refuse these gifts ... I just thought I should offer ...

Steel_Wind

Legend
From the Special Attack of the Shadow Wight, a creature detailed in the ENnie Award winning Bestiary of Krynn

(The touch of a Shadow Wight drains 1d8 charisma. A creature reduced to 0 char is subject to oblivion.)

Oblivion: An opponent who has his charisma reduced to 0 vanishes, leaving only his clothes and possessions behind. The memory of the one so destroyed is wiped from the minds of any and all who knew him - erasing the creature from history as if he or she had never existed. No form of healing, resurrection, restoration or even a wish is capable of reviving anyone who has been effected by oblivion.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
In Perdido Street Station, the slake moths had a lot of really cool special powers, but my personal favorite is that they evade injury by simply not existing entirely in real space; something like incorporeality, except that the body exists, it's just elsewhere.

There was a movie called "Horror Express" in which Peter Cushing and Cristopher Lee fought an alien-possessed caveman on a train (of course). The alien ate human memories, and its victims were found to have completely smooth brains.

Demiurge out.

Voadam

Legend
Telekinesis as practiced by Darth Vader in Empire Strikes Back. Disarm, block laser blasts, strangle from across space, hurl large chunks of machinery against your opponent, etc.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Tinner said:
Essentially the critter lurks in your mind, whispering offers of power and aid for your cause.
Need just a little more strength to save that child from the falling rocks?
He'll be glad to give it to you. Of course, the first taste is free.

morden.jpg

"What do you want?"

-Hyp.

Zander

Explorer
Quickleaf's suggestion that they be ghouls fits well with an ability of my own invention: instant undeath. I created some goblins which had made a pact with a demi-god of the undead. When the goblins were killed they came back a round or two later as goblin-zombies and continued to fight the PCs.

The same could be applied to Quickleaf's ghouls. They start out as some other living creature. When they're killed, presumably by the PCs, they come back a round or two later as organ-thief ghouls.

You can also work serleran's suggestion of partial incorporeality into the mix. Whatever parts of the living creatures are cut off by the PCs become incorporeal 'ghost' parts of the organ-thief ghouls. They would be driven to replace those parts of their ghoulish bodies that had been destroyed by the PCs.

How creepy/cool is that? :p

Chaldfont

First Post
The alzabo from Gene Wolf's Book of the New Sun series.

This predator eats people's brains and then gains some of their memories and the ability to perfectly mimic their voice. It's still got little better than animal intelligence, but it can use it's vicitims' memories to lure others in for the kill.

Later in the book, people use a drug extracted from the alzabo during a cannibalistic funeral ceremony so that some part of the dead person will live on.

CarlZog

Explorer
Dave Hargrave's Kill Kittens

From the Arduin Grimoire, kill kittens work in packs: One of them will feign injury on the roadside while the rest hide nearby. When an unsuspecting good samaritan attempts to assist the supposedly injured kitty, the rest of the pack leaps out of hiding and swarms over him like piranha with claws...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads