• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me of the RPGs you got at discount price

Turanil

First Post
Well, today I went to my FLGS (btw: named "fireball") to buy the Dreamlands, a BRP CoC product (Amazon were too slow so they lost a sale here). There I saw that they were having a clearing sales, I mean, they had a lot of rpg books at a discount price. [Ahem, don't know the exact term in English for that]

So I got two books more for a low price: GURPS Alpha Centauri, which does appear as a nice setting book (very few game mechanics, mostly fluff) for d20 Future, and which could be added to Transhuman Space (also a Gurps supplement) fairly easily. Then I bought OGL Cyberpunk that I had wanted for a long time but thought it was way too expensive. Other than that there was OGL Steampunk, and this book looked surprisingly well done. I would have bought it, but cannot buy everything, and I am no more in D&D even with a tweak. In any case, I think that OGL Steampunk would probably work well with Eberron.

I must say that I am happy with the two books I bought, but would never have bought them if they weren't for sale at a discount. So I would like to know of the books you bought because of such discount sales, if they only were purchases of opportunity (no pun intended) or if you would have bought the book nonetheless.

diaglo

Adventurer
back in 1983 the local hobby shop down the street went out of business.

i bought thousands of minis for pennies each.

Soldarin

First Post
I went to the sell-out at Atomik when D&D 3.0 pushed older stock out of the shop. Got me Aria (both books), Immortal the Invisible War, Rolemaster, Chivalry, a bunch of Alternity books (including the Dark Matter and Star Drive setting books), several boxed sets for AD&D 2nd, Traveller, Demons II and assorted other books. At 5 euros a piece I couldn't resist.

Felt like Sinterklaas, toting those four bags full of books.
I was less thrilled half a kilometer further down the road, though.... :)

Staffan

Legend
I don't think it really counts as a discount thing, but the best trade I ever did was when I traded my Kult plus the Black Madonna campaign/adventure for TORG, the Cassandra Files (book of adventure hooks), and the Destiny Map (adventure + GM screen). TORG was just sooo much better, even though I didn't get the die.

RFisher

Explorer
Years ago when Warhammer FRP first came out, I was standing in my FLGS waffling over whether to buy it. So, the guy who ran the place offered me a discount if I bought it right then. He did that a few other times. I don't know that I would have ever bought it if he hadn't done that.

Around 1991 I bought a copy of Fantasy Wargaming at a second-hand bookstore for $3. I don't know how many times I'd looked at it at a regular bookstore where I bought OAD&D stuff in the 1980s, but never brought myself to buy it. I couldn't pass it up for $3.

In 2000, I don't know that I would have bought the 3e books if it hadn't been for the "introductory" pricing. Maybe. Maybe not.

A couple of years ago, I bought a Deluxe Traveller box with a few extra goodies in it at a second-hand bookstore. I already had bought a couple of editions of Traveller (Starter Traveller, MegaTraveller, & the Classic Traveller reprints), but I wouldn't have gone out of my way to track down a Deluxe box set if I hadn't just happened on it for a good price.

Last year, I bought a copy of BESM 2e at a huge book sale. If not for the discount, I probably wouldn't have bought it until someone in my group choose to run it.

Also last year, I found a copy of the RC at a second-hand store. Like Fantasy Wargaming, I don't know how many times I stopped by a regular bookstore & looked at it back in the 1990s when it was new, but never brought myself to buy it.

Oh, & I bought a copy of Toon second-hand last year too. I don't think I would've paid full price for it.

Oh, & Star Frontiers. (Just the Expanded Rulebook.) It's all available for free online these days, so I guess that was really bought at a premium instead of a discount. :)

(& that's not counting modules or supplements I've gotten from second-hand stores or ebay.)

Everything else, I think I've paid "full price" for or gotten as a gift.

JoeBlank

Explorer
Most recent example:

When Oathbound first came out I downloaded the pdf preview and decided it was not for me. Didn't fit any of the games I was involved in at the time, and I was not DMing much.

Then Bastion has their big $5 sale (Oathbound main book $10, supplements $5). It had flown under my radar for a while, but I decided to take another look. Read some reviews, on EN World and elsewhere, and picked up most of the Oathbound books. I'm sold on it, and am shifting my share of a game I co-DM to the Forge.

ivocaliban

First Post
I got my copy of the Draconomicon at Amazon.com for 70% off. That sale didn't last long as I recall.

I also bought a truckload of West End Games stuff when they went south. Hardcovers were $5, softcovers $3. I still have almost all the WEG's books for Star Wars, Bloodshadows, Necroscope, Indiana Jones, etc.

Other than those special deals I get most of my stuff at 20-30% off through Amazon.com or Stiggybaby.com.

Last edited:

Wombat

First Post
Let me see, the closer of my 2 FLGSs is having a massive D20 sale right now, if you want Avalanche and other questionable supplements.

But I have picked up quite a few books a discounts over time, primarily over eBay. I got Eberron for $7 on eBay, got Iron Kingdoms Players Guide for $10, and a couple Scarred Lands books in the $7 range. In fact, I regularly trawl eBay for discounted items -- I set a price, never vary from it, and if I win, cool, I get a huge discount; if not, it was never meant to be mine ;)

The guy who's selling my old collection on eBay (whose name I will not mention, as he's a member of EN World) absconded with about 50% of it. That's probably about $2,000 worth of stuff for free.

But que sera sera. Should have gone with (name of another EN Worlder deleted). He may have demanded a heftier share, but he probably would have been more trustworthy...

(And anyway, my primary reason for dumping my collection was to break the collection addition. I would have given the stuff away, to a worthy cause. So I'm not particularly bitter about it...)

Edit: That $2000 would have been my share, on stuff that cost me in the neighborhood of $10,000 to buy... So he really got a good deal...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads