• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell me of your best Mook Fights!

What was fun? What did you do? What mooks did you throw against the PCs? Any interesting terrain? How did you make it a challenge? Or was it just a big slaughter-fest for the PCs to enjoy?

Drowbane

First Post
I was playing a mid-high level Monk / Drunken Master in a "wuxia" campaign. I stopped by a well known tea-house to rest after days of travel and managed to somehow insult the local Kung Fu Master and ended up fighting waves of his students before calling him out to settle things.

I fought in the tea-house (second floor, knocking students to the first and out windows), in the muddy street (terrain advantage to me), and finally on the steep roof of the Tea House (against the opposing Master).

Good times

dontpunkme

First Post
I ran a massive battle with the PCs (12th or 13th-level high-powered gestalts) along with 96 wood elves attempting to hold a river ford against a Marilith led army of darkness. Vrocks, bebiliths, frost giants, hill giants, trolls, ogres, goblins (about 1400 of those buggers), etc. Think there was about 1800 enemies or so IIRC.

They had a few days to prepare and spellcasters made scrolls while the melee types lead the wood elves in constructing fortifications, fox holes, trenches, etc. They thought they were going to be blocking a much smaller force while a brigade of the enemy army made a push to the south (info they had intercepted). The enemy changed tactics when the half-fiend frost giant jarl didn't report as expected and sent a brigade against them.

While the fight took way longer than expected (about 5 days worth of playing, maybe more) and required us to convert an entire area of my friend's basement into a massive DND map (I went to the local teacher supply store and got a pad of 25 36'x24' 1 inch square graph paper and proceeded to tape them into place forming a massive full color map) for over a week. One day, I'll have to post pictures as it was epic.

It was a great fight, almost killed 2 PCs, dealt severe casualties to the defending army, while the bulk of the enemy died (at least all the fodder). An enemy tiefling cleric hit the wizard/rogue with a wrack (that player's new least favorite spell as I've tortured him with it on numerous occassions) and the pc cashed in his avoid any situation once card from the deck of many things to stay in the fight. The best was the wealth drain I accomplished because the PCs decided to pass out wands and scrolls to any allied spellcaster.

Remove ads