• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell Me Your Best DM Dirty Tricks...

CruelSummerLord

First Post
A lot of these strategies can be effective, but many of them rely on magical items and spells. But not every opponent, not even every BBEG, will have access to all the magical resources they might like. Sure, it might be nice to have a wand of lightning bolts or the ability to cast a wall of ice, but you can't always get what you want.

-Various types of slime and ooze can be gathered in jars and barrels to be thrown, and make lethal grenade-type weapons. Even lowly goblins and orcs can use these missiles effectively, when you consider that they don't necessarily need to score a direct hit-crystal ooze splattering everywhere can be murder on both the the PCs and their possessions alike.

-If your kobolds, goblins, or other small monsters aren't effective in melee, have them run messenger duty. Goblins and kobolds are fair enough miners, enough to riddle the strongholds of bigger monsters with secret doors and tunnels too small for most of the PCs, but that allow the goblins and kobolds to keep running around, delivering intelligence to the leaders, and rallying their commands to the troops in an ongoing fight. If the kobolds can't fight, big deal-they can be the errand-boys.

-In another thread, I suggested using manure as a way for goblins to defend their lair. Not only could the PCs be incapacitated or sickened by being splattered with the stuff, but chances are they might lose their cool and go charging into whatever other traps the monsters have set up.

Other types of substances can be used as well-retch plant globes can make them sick, sticky tar on the floor can trip the PCs up or otherwise hinder them, special types of powder that hinder the PCs by making them itch or sneeze, glue can be used to seal a door shut or make a PC stuck, leaving them a lot more vulnerable, water devices could be rigged above torches or watch-fires to douse them and create smokescreens, oil could be used to create an impromptu wall of fire as long as there's a firebreak of stone to keep the fire confined to where the monsters want it, acid can be used for pain. Judicious use of these types of devices as traps, especially as tripwire devices that could be obscured by rubbish on the floor or otherwise ignored by PCs as they charge into melee.

Some of this will probably require ajudication on your part as DM to determine what ill effects the PCs suffer, since they may not be covered in the rules-itching may give you the same effects as being fatigued, sneezing may mean you need Concentration checks to successfully cast spells-but the PCs can have saving throws or skill checks to detect or avoid these ill effects...although that might be difficult to do in the middle of a free-for-all melee.

-Most humanoid monsters are not known for sanitation, or for keeping their lairs clean. Junk thrown all over the place can be used to conceal hidden pits or tripwires that trigger traps-Spot checks can help, but PCs can't really take 20 in the middle of a fight, now can they?

-Your players may wonder why those goblins are dressed in the same kind of clothing beekeepers wear. Well, it turns out these goblins love honey...and they also use wasp nests as missiles! PCs wearing metal armor may not necessarily be bothered too much...but those wizards and rogues in the party are going to have a devil of a time dealing with angry, stinging wasps! Perhaps the goblin's clerics have spells to control the wasps. It'd be up to you to determine exactly what kind of effects the wasps' stings would have on the PCs, but they wouldn't be pleasant.

And, again, similar effects can be had with rot grubs, pernicons, and other nasty little critters. And their effects are clearly spelled out on the Monster Manuals...and they are NOT pleasant. Pull a lever on the wall, and about a hundred rot grubs suddenly come falling out of little ceiling compartments onto the PCs.

Now, I realize that I'm writing from the perspective of a guy whose main experience is with fluff. A lot of what I'm proposing would require logical DM fiat, since I don't think a lot of this would be covered in the rules. Would there be players who would protest at the seemingly arbitrary effects that the DM assigns to these things, even if you gave them the chance to mitigate the effects with saving throws?

I myself see no reason why a good and fair DM couldn't extrapolate based on the RAW, especially given that sooner or later he'd have to do it for the PCs if they try some ingenious tactic not provided for in the RAW. If the DM makes an occasional ruling in favor of the players when they try something off-the-wall that just might save the day, surely he can do it for the monsters?

My effort here is to provide some non-magical solutions in addition to some of the really smart ones offered below, such as the hobgoblins using their darkvision by blackening the windows to a temple, and constantly moving around to attack, while the PCs are confined to a small space because of their light sources, or the one where the PCs are trapped by a heavy grating, and can't brace themselves to lift it because they're floating in about 8 feet of water.

Magical solutions are all well and good, but not every villain will have a complete arsenal of magical defenses, especially if you're playing in a world where 11th-12th level means you stand out, and owning a +1 sword is a sign of tremendous prestige. These are solutions if you want to run a more Iron Heroes oriented game, for example.

shilsen

Adventurer
CruelSummerLord said:
Magical solutions are all well and good, but not every villain will have a complete arsenal of magical defenses, especially if you're playing in a world where 11th-12th level means you stand out, and owning a +1 sword is a sign of tremendous prestige. These are solutions if you want to run a more Iron Heroes oriented game, for example.

Agreed, and frankly I think it's a lot easier on the DM to come up with challenges in the sort of low-magic game you described. In a high magic game, the NPCs may or may not have powerful magic at their disposal, but the PCs invariably always will. A low-magic game levels out the playing field a lot and means PCs can't use magic to easily solve most problems.

Warren Okuma

First Post
shilsen said:
Agreed, and frankly I think it's a lot easier on the DM to come up with challenges in the sort of low-magic game you described. In a high magic game, the NPCs may or may not have powerful magic at their disposal, but the PCs invariably always will. A low-magic game levels out the playing field a lot and means PCs can't use magic to easily solve most problems.
Nah, some monsters can go shopping or know people, or horse trade. Yes, some monsters are reclusive hermits, but not all.

Low magic games, you limit your options on how to challenge the PC's. At high levels it will severely hurt the DM, depending on the PC's builds.

Average to High magic games you can go gonzo.

CruelSummerLord

First Post
Warren Okuma said:
Nah, some monsters can go shopping or know people, or horse trade. Yes, some monsters are reclusive hermits, but not all.

Low magic games, you limit your options on how to challenge the PC's. At high levels it will severely hurt the DM, depending on the PC's builds.

Average to High magic games you can go gonzo.

Maybe, but in low magic games, you can also limit the ability of the PCs to blast through your challenges, forcing them to come up with creative solutions and the use of other types of spells. If you, like I would if I gamed, restrict the PCs to PHB races and classes (so no Dragon Shamans, no Tieflings, no Dragonborn, etc.), and bar the door on buying most magic items save for scrolls, potions and the odd wand, then the playing field becomes a lot more level.

IMO, it's very important to consider how the restrictions you put on the PCs affect not only them, but the integrity and flavor of the setting you want to run. If monsters can't buy magical items, and can't cast all the buffs they want, then the PCs can't either. If the BBEG has to be thankful for the magical resources at his disposal, and doesn't have the ability to know everything about the PCs or use as large a magical arsenal as he might like, then the PCs have to put up with the same. If 6th level means you stand out, and Epic-level play/monsters with CRs over 20 are all but unheard of, then the restrictions cut both ways.

While I might enjoy playing in a average to high-magic game, as a DM I would be absolutely miserable in running it. Besides, what does this mentality mean for a ruleset like Iron Heroes, that's deliberately meant to turn down the power levels? What if I want to make giants and dragons weaker, like they were in 1E?

I'll play in another DM's high magic setting-it's his or her game, and they have the right to design the setting as they see fit-but conversely, if I don't want +1 swords to be common items, or for PCs to be able to buy whatever magical items they please, that's my right.

But we're getting OT here. My contribution to this thread is trying to come up with some DM tricks that don't involve magic.

MarauderX

Explorer
Oh, forgot to mention weather. Blizzards with severe cold can be deadly, especially with a White Dragon doing control weather once the PCs are 1/2 up the glacier - caught right in the middle.

A player taught me well about using Control Winds in higher level play - an instant tornado makes for a nasty 'random' encounter.

Jolly Giant

First Post
Multiple flying opponents with ranged attacks can be difficult at almost any level, especially out in the wilderness. I very nearly caused a TPK with a handful of harpy archers once, even though the EL should in theory match the party's level exactly. As long as the fliers have enough space to move in and are smart enough to spread out, they have a huge advantage. A harpy encounter like that is real easy to tailor to higher levels too; just slap on some levels of fighter (or make one a sorcerer with Magic Missile), and/or increase their number until you get the EL you want. :)

Another idea is to sprinkle the encounter location with some surprising minor opponents. This works particularly well if the players think they know what they're up against before they enter battle. Anything other than what they come prepared for can be a major nuisance, even if the thing has a CR well under their level. A couple of examples:

A large "aquarium" containing an ooze can be a nice addition to a dungeon encounter. Rig a trap that breaks the glass as the party walks past, or have a mook throw a stone or shoot an arrow at it. f you're feeling extra mean, let the broken glass cause the ooze to split as it pours from the tank.

Assassin vines (or similarly nasty plants) planted at strategic points around a BBEG's lair. They could be planted around the mouth of a cave, in the forest around a permanent camp or in the garden surrounding an enemy's home. My favorite though, is to hide assassin vines among the ivy that covers the outer wall of a BBEG's keep. Imagine the PCs being grappled by the vines that they thought were going to help them with their Climb checks. ;) This trick doesn't work too good at higher levels, when the PCs are more likely to fly or teleport in.

dream spawn

Explorer
I remember one that I saw here on the boards a long time ago.

Have the PCs come to a room at the end of the hall through a door. The room is a dead end with nothing in it except for a lever on one wall. If they pull the lever, a door slams closed, and a magic mouth appears and starts counting down from ten. If they pull the lever again, the magic mouth starts the countdown over. If the mouth is allowed to count down to zero, all that happens is that the door opens.

See how long your party runs around to try to find a way out of the "trap".

Rechan

Adventurer
I just came from a game where we fought some Spawns of Kyuss. Now, some of us knew what they were (even though our characters did not), and some of us did not. Regardless, no one wanted the worms on us, to the extent of intentionally failing our saves vs. burning hands to burn the worms off us.

So, a creature with a lot of harmless parasites that looks freaking icky and scary is great. If they're a distracting technique, and intimidate the players, the monsters can regroup or move in for a better kill while the PCs are too busy beating the things off them.

dream spawn said:
I remember one that I saw here on the boards a long time ago.

Have the PCs come to a room at the end of the hall through a door. The room is a dead end with nothing in it except for a lever on one wall. If they pull the lever, a door slams closed, and a magic mouth appears and starts counting down from ten. If they pull the lever again, the magic mouth starts the countdown over. If the mouth is allowed to count down to zero, all that happens is that the door opens.

See how long your party runs around to try to find a way out of the "trap".
This is actually a good idea in a fortress, if it's set up to trigger when someone enters the room, and the lever makes the magic mouth restart the countdown.

Why? Delaying tactic. Someone walks in, an Alarm spell goes off, and while everyone is getting ready, the intruders are trapped in the "Haha, idiots" room.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads