• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tell us about your favourite space RPG and why?

Stormonu

Legend
Overall, for space-age games, I think it'd have to go to WEG's d6 Star Wars.

Other ones I've enjoyed:

Alternity: great system, though XP costs need to be simplified somehow.
Fading Suns: Imagine Dune, before the birth of Paul Atredes.
Star Trek: I really liked the Last Unicorn (best)/Decipher version. FASA's version didn't feel right and for as much research they did, they got a lot of information incorrect.
Space 1889: A wonderful setting, rules were so-so and the adventures were horrible, horrible railroads. Red Sands - which is Space 1889 for Savage Worlds seems a lot better.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Forgot Paranoia. Sure, its a comedic game, but it doesn't have to be...as the most recent version illustrated. It's very nature makes it nifty for a game set in a Logan's Run or Morbus Gravis. Maybe even Bioshock.

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
This is a tough one. If "favorite" means "if you had to pick one sci-fi RPG to play for the rest of your life", I'd pick WEG's Star Wars. It's flexible, cinematic and really captured the Star Wars feel. OTOH, a definite favorite of mine would have to be "Star Frontiers", mainly for the nostolgia factor. I really enjoyed playing those Dralasites!

timASW

Banned
Banned
Dark heresy, although pretty much all of the warhammer 40k games are awesome IMO. Love the simple rule sets and the flavor. Being a big fan of the novels helps a lot too.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
My favourite must be Starguild OGL. Because, uh, I wrote it. Never got around to marketing it and trying to sell it, although it has had a number of successful outings at conventions and has been used to run two campaigns (one by me, one by a chap I know). I'd be very happy to let you have a look at it Morrus! Distinguishing features are the use of the 'damage save' from Mutants and Masterminds, but also extended to manage dramatic conflicts (infiltration, interrogation, chases, manhunts etc.), horror (cthuloid horrors ahoy!) and social conflict (seduction, persuasion, dissemble, intimidate etc).

It's worth a look. Ask Piratecat about it :)

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I think I like WEG Star Wars the best because of its versatility and cinematic feel despite its flaws.

I've always wanted to play a Star Trek game and I think a ST or a SW Fate game would be incredible. (We tried a jedi Fate game using Strands of Fate but that made the Force too rules-heavy for my tastes.)

Vicente

Explorer
For me Alternity, I love the Ordinary/Good/Amazing resolution system, how damage and armor works, the skills list,... And StarDrive and Dark Matter are very good settings.

The only issue I had with it was levelling, it always felt wrong somehow.

feytharn

First Post
Alternity.
The system works great, is easy to use once you 'got' it, yet offers enough detail for player and GM alike. The Star*Drive setting remains one of my favorite game settings. The amount of detail is great, yet it remains wide open to tell most kind of SF stories.

Crothian

First Post
Ashen Stars

It is very creative and well written. The rulesest is solid and very modern. There is a lot of adventure and mystery in the setting so it is very easy for a GM to come up with hooks for the players.

Remove ads