• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Temp Hit Points to an unconcious player?

john112364

First Post
Off the top of my head, (without any rulebooks) I would say sure! Why not. It doesn't heal them any, but it will make them harder to kill.

Saagael

First Post
Temp HP can be refluffed any way you want, so if it doesn't make sense to give an unconscious ally temporary hit points, you can reflavor it some other way. For example, my infernal warlock summons imps as bodyguards whenever he gets his temporary hit points from a pact boon. If he was unconscious and got his pact boon, it wouldn't make sense to have him summon an imp, so I'd say that his armor becomes covered in hellfire or something, acting as an extra suit of armor.

A rule quote...

TEMPORARY HIT POINTS

Not Real Hit Points: Temporary hit points aren’t real hit points. They’re a layer of insulation that attacks have to get through before they start doing damage to you. Don’t add temporary hit points to your current hit points (if your current hit points are 0, you still have 0 when you receive temporary hit points). Keep track of them as a separate pool of hit points.
Seems clear cut and backs up what everyone has been saying -- sure, you can gain temp hp when you're unconscious (or dying, which is what I suspect the OP meant). "Keep track of them separately" just like you would when you were conscious.

frankthedm

First Post
A rule quote...

Seems clear cut and backs up what everyone has been saying -- sure, you can gain temp hp when you're unconscious (or dying, which is what I suspect the OP meant). "Keep track of them separately" just like you would when you were conscious.
:devil: Seems clear to me they don't get up. Paragraph says someone at zero HP who gets temp HP is still at zero HP, thus that sounds like they don't get back up.

Last edited:

Uh... yes? Everyone agrees on that.

You go to -10, you're at -10 and dying. You gain 3 temp hp, you're at -10 and dying with 3 temp hp. You get healed for 5, you're at +5, no longer dying, and have 3 temp hp.

Remove ads