• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tempest Tecnique Question

Altharos

First Post
Hey, I have one question :)

Tempest Technique said:
When wearing light armor or chainmail, you gain
a +1 bonus to damage rolls with melee and close
weapon attacks when you are wielding two weapons.
This bonus increases to +2 with weapons that have
the off-hand property.

I do not understand this part in text; 'off-hand property'

Two-Blade Warrior
[Multiclass Ranger]
Prerequisites: Str 13, Dex 13
Benefit: You gain training in one skill from the
ranger’s class skill list.
You can wield a one-handed weapon in your off
hand as though it were an off-hand weapon.

When i wield two drow long knife, if i take this feat my bonus damage increase +2 (both of them)? And do i get - penalty attack rolls for this ?

Mentat55

First Post
Off hand is a property of specific weapons.

Normally, you must wield an off hand weapon as one of the two weapons you are using if you do any sort of two weapon fighting. Two-blade rangers get past this restriction because they have a special ability.

Off hand weapons include daggers, short swords, katar, etc. You do not need to take the Two-Blade Warrior feat, and in fact, it doesn't really make much sense. Tempest fighters are usually better off with off-hand weapons because they get a bonus to hit and to damage with off-hand weapons.

Drakhar

First Post
Actually Drow Long Knives already have the offhand property so you are able to dual wield them without needing to take Two-Blade Warrior.

Altharos

First Post
Hmm i think i understand. If i wear two drow long knife i also gain +2 damage roll with both of them as the all off hand weapons (and drow long knife already off hand weapon).

abyssaldeath

First Post
Hmm i think i understand. If i wear two drow long knife i also gain +2 damage roll with both of them as the all off hand weapons (and drow long knife already off hand weapon).

Correct. As long as the weapon you are attacking with has the off-hand property you will get the +2.

the8bitdeity

First Post
i have no clue what a drow long knife does so i prefer a double weapon since it is defensive and both ends have the offhand property

(Un)Fortunately, this was changed in errata. Now only the secondary ends have offhand property, with exception to the double sword which has been nerfed.

If you have compendium access, check it out. Otherwise look in the rules updates on WotC.

eamon

Explorer
i have no clue what a drow long knife does so i prefer a double weapon since it is defensive and both ends have the offhand property

A drow long knife is a heavy blade with the offhand and heavy thrown keywords. It's basically a shortshort you can throw. On the downside, it's a superior weapon and it deals only 1d6 damage. But, if all you're looking for is a ranged option in your offhand (which presumably you use less frequently), the damage difference may be worth it - particularly if you're a tempest that get's a +2 damage bonus when wielding off-hand weapons and that probably doesn't have the dex to throw a light-thrown weapon very well.

Turtlejay

First Post
(Un)Fortunately, this was changed in errata. Now only the secondary ends have offhand property, with exception to the double sword which has been nerfed.

If you have compendium access, check it out. Otherwise look in the rules updates on WotC.

Not strictly true, since you can take a feat to make the staff offhand on both sides, or you can take a feat to turn the spiked chain into a double weapon.

I guess what gets me is that the double weapons used to be better than martial weapons, like an exotic weapon should be, and now most of them are tough to get working with a Tempest Fighter. Since being Offhand is what gives them +1 to hit and +2 damage, a double weapon is really only useful to them now on one end.

Jay

Remove ads