• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Templar base class (Round 2, this time as an offensive cleric)

you are talking about the fortitude save to negate?
Yes
it certainly does improve the initial save (by one) but does nothing for the long term, either way maxing out at a DC of 13 at level 20
Actually, it makes the save worse at any given level by 3, assuming that caster level is half of character level.

Where are you getting 13 at?

10+1/2lvl+mod, is the general save dc, so unless you have some great reason to differ, i'd suggest keeping it.

Originally Posted by Typhoonoftempest
Aura of wicked (12th level, evil/chaotic aligned)
this aura causes 1d6 + caster level damage to any holy (good or lawful) creature within 20 ft every 1d4 rounds, increasing by 1d4 for every successful hit
aura raises an additional d6 per 4 levels gained
fortitude save (DC 7 + caster level) negates
once negated, the creature can no longer be affected by the same aura for 72 hours

Still looking at this ability, I would say that you should make it 1d6+WIS damage every round, instead of 1d6+Caster level every 1d4 rounds. No particular reason for this, except that most aura effects opperate every round, and tying things that aren't spells to caster level isn't usually done.

Blessed Armor (18th level, good/lawful aligned)
any light or medium armor the Templar wears gains a +1 enhancement bonus and gains either -2/good or -2/lawful damage reduction already enhanced items increase further til +5, which it does not enhance any further
+5 armors instead receive -3 damage reduction
this does NOT stack with other abilities that changes check penalties; a Templar may take
whichever bonus is higher.
For this one, I would say that at 18th level, the 2 DR isn't going to be worth anything. I'd say give DR 5, but only on a +5 suit of armor. That may be a little much, but its much easier to overcome than the barbarians,

Armor Familarity (5th level)
light and medium armors no longer incur the same check penalties as they did before
only the Chain Shirt light armor incurs a check penalty (-1) for light armors
all medium armor decrease their check penalties by two. ex: hide armor now incurs a -1 check penalty
furthermore, it gives them a +2 bonus to disguise checks for hiding the fact that they are wearing armor (light and medium only; Breastplate is exempt from this rule)
this does NOT stack with other abilities that changes check penalties; a Templar may take whichever bonus is higher.
at the 11th level, Templars may wear Padded armor below a medium armor or Chained shirt
light armor. bonuses of both armors stack, and penalties increased by 1 1/2 times (round up).
at the 17th level, penalties of stacked armor is only multiplied once and not 1 1/2

I'm not sure what you are going for here... An extra incentive to wear lighter armor? As it stands, this has a real possibility for imbalance. +5 padded of heavy fortification, in addition to +5 mithiral chain shirt. It allows stacking of things that aren't meant to be stacked. I'd say allow the character to add padding for a flat bonus to AC, and reduction of check penalties, instead of actually allowing the armors to stack.

Armor Ease:
A fifth level templar becomes more adept at spreading the weight of her armor over his body. By wearing the weight more evenly, she reduces any armor check penalty by 2. Furthermore, they may wear clothing over medium armor, allowing a disguise check at -10 to appear as if they were not wearing armor, with a +4 bonus for heavy clothing. Heavy armor centers the weight as much as possible, so these bonuses do not apply.

Layered Armor:
An eleventh level templar has mastered the art of wearing lighter armor underneath heavier armor in order to increase the effectiveness. She adds a +2 armor bonus to any medium armor she wears, but gains only half the bonuses described in armor ease.(+1 to armor check, and +2 to disguise in heavy clothing). This art is already incorporated into heavy armor, so the templar cannot improve it further.

Typhoonoftempest

First Post
for the aura, remember that the damage increases as the templar gets stronger, and chaotic/evil, chaotic/neutral, and neutral/evil templar have their auras perpetually active: provided they are awake.

For Blessed Armor and Cursed Armor are both supposed to adjust the templar's ability to ward off damage beyond the armor's ability. Also note that it enhances the armor: so common armor becomes a +1 armor with the DR as stated, and beyond. I did think about giving a +5 DR flat, but that seemed a bit much as you said, though still easier to bypass than other DR like the barbarian's.

Finally, the Armor Familarity is supposed to be an incentive to use lighter armors, though I like your solution better :d

Hm... To clarify, the comments I made under the quotes aren't to help me understand. They are suggestions for another way to do it, that seems more balanced to me. I have no problems with any of the abilities thematically.

Remove ads