• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Template combo, is this possible?

Take some creature that had had a Demonic-typic Template applied to it. Said creature, probably a powerful hench-being in service to a powerful (True) Necromancer, is killed 'in action' by a group of Heroes. Said Necromancer wants this creature to animate as a 'commander' type of it's Undead Horde, and so uses her most powerfull ritual/magic/spells to bring it (at least partly) back to pseudo-life.

Question: Would this creature, being as it's now animated by Negative Energy, retain any of the abilities granted by it's former demonic template? I'm thinking that the fact that the original powers were most likely 'fueled' by Negative Energy it's possible. As to the animating Intelligence being able to make full use of said abilities, I leave that up to the DM.

Hatchling Dragon

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
It would depend upon the specific templates in question. Unless the undead template says it cannot be applied to outsiders, it would be a valid combination.

For instance, you could have a zombie half-fiend dire tiger, because zombie can be applied to any living creature with a skeletal system.

You could not have a vampire half-diend dire tiger, because vampire can only be applied to humanoids.

The real fun is in trying to make a vampire half-fiend dwarf. The original form is humanoid (dwarf), the half-fiend form is Outsider [Augmented Humanoid (dwarf)], and the resultant form would be Undead [Augmented Outsider Humanoid (dwarf)].

Some DMs may rule that you can't do it because being an outsider invalidates your humanoid status. I personally would allow it.

Of course, if I'm missing somehwere that states that outsiders are nonliving, then disregard the entirety of this message.

Wippit Guud

First Post
James McMurray said:
The real fun is in trying to make a vampire half-fiend dwarf. The original form is humanoid (dwarf), the half-fiend form is Outsider [Augmented Humanoid (dwarf)], and the resultant form would be Undead [Augmented Outsider Humanoid (dwarf)].

Some DMs may rule that you can't do it because being an outsider invalidates your humanoid status. I personally would allow it.
Why wouldn't it be allowed? Just apply the templates differently.

Original form is humanoid (dwarf), apply the vampire template [Undead (dwarf)], and then half-fiend it [Outsider Undead (dwarf)]

While we're on the topic, if a Balor and a Solar procreated, under some odd circumstance, would the off-spring be a Half-Fied Solar or a Half-Celestial Balor? I remember a CC topic where they suggested the idea of two different colors of dragon mating...

Particle_Man

Explorer
DonaldRumsfeldsTofu said:
While we're on the topic, if a Balor and a Solar procreated, under some odd circumstance, would the off-spring be a Half-Fied Solar or a Half-Celestial Balor? I remember a CC topic where they suggested the idea of two different colors of dragon mating...

I think that the half-fiend template does not apply to good creatures, so no half-fiend solars. Similarly, no half-celestial balors because half-celestial does not apply to evil creatures.

So all they would have would be regrets. :)

Remove ads