• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Template: Dragonblood - Would appreciate suggestions/comments.

Nezkrul

First Post
Sekmet, you forgot that Drow also get EVERYTHING a regular elf gets (+2 dex, -2 con) and the racial effects/bonuses, the only difference is darkvision 120 instead of lowlight and the weapon proficiencies

emoplato

First Post
@emoplato I'm not sure what you mean by that.
I, as well as many others regard the Drow to be very weak. Aside from spell resistance they have very limited use low level spell-like abilities, rather minor mental stat boosts, dark vision for penalty of light-blindness for a LA 2 and still has a con penalty. Honestly a straight elf is better and that doesn't say much. Though its good to know that you were serious.

Sekhmet

First Post
[MENTION=97812]emoplato[/MENTION] I disagree with your assessment of Drow. They're certainly more powerful than Elves. I agree that they're probably not LA2 material, but they certainly make LA1.

Hell, I'd take this template just for the Type: Dragon change for LA1.

Last edited:

Serpentis

First Post
Oh, I've no illusions that the template wasn't fairly powerful from the get go. I definitely knew this thing was reaching. The comparison to the Drow does say that toning down the template a bit is a good idea, which is what I had in mind.

General ideas for toning it down then:
* Eliminate the Type Change
* Tone down the Breath Weapon
* Perhaps eliminate the 'Any +2'
* Reconsider the Sleep and Paralysis Immunities

I'm rather dedicated to keeping the Resistance, as I feel that seems like a fair descent from the dragon's blood, but most other things are quite malleable. Thus, suggestions and thoughts are happily solicited.

As well, Sekhmet, it's been a long while since I've done much with Dragons and Dragon types in general. How is it they can qualify for epic feats so quickly?

Serpentis

First Post
Ahh, I see. Thanks for the heads up, Sekhmet.

No other suggestions on the template, anyone? I could just slap a Level Adjustment on it, but I had been hoping for a little more tweaking first.

kingius

First Post
It is very similar to the half dragon. I suspect that the high level adjustment that the half dragon template has will put players off using it. Might it not be better to make something on parity with the core races, perhaps a couple of minuses to get the breath weapon, but no level adjustment? I think many players would be interested in a race equal to dwarves, elves, humans, gnomes, etc.

Remove ads