• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Template for Undead

Corvidae

First Post
Dark Flame Undead

This Template can be applied to any corporeal undead, hereafter referred to as base creature.

Armor Class: The base creature's AC increases by +1, this is a deflection bonus

Special Qualities:

Dark fire burn, anyone attacking the base creature takes 1d6 fire damage. This damage counts as evil for the purposes of damage reduction. This damage does NOT apply to ranged attacks or to attacks not made within normal distance, such as from reach weapons.

Fast healing: The base creature gains fast healing equal to 1\2 its hit die, minimum 1

Special Attacks: The base creature adds 1d6 fire damage to its main attack. This counts as evil for purposes of overcoming damage reduction

The LA of a creature with this template gains +2 LA

I hope you enjoy, I think it is balanced, but am not sure, let me know what you think. I created this template to go along with the fluff that was written for Clay_more's
thread on advanced weapon crafting. (found here http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=166987 ) I am not sure how this really stacks up, but I wanted the dark flame undead to be different than normal undead.

DARK FLAME WIGHT
Size/Type: Medium Undead
Hit Dice: 4d12 (26 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+1 Dex, +4 natural,+1 deflection bonus), touch 12, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+3
Attack: Slam +3 melee (1d4+1 plus energy drain +1d6 fire damage)
Full Attack: Slam +3 melee (1d4+1 plus energy drain + 1d6 firedamage)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Create spawn, energy drain, Dark flame Attack
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., undead traits, Dark flame Burn, Fast Healing 2
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +5
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 12, Con Ø, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 15
Skills: Hide +8, Listen +10, Move Silently +16, Spot +10
Feats: Alertness, Blind-Fight
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, pair, gang (3-5), or pack (6-11)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always lawful evil
Advancement: 5-8 HD (Medium)

This the the stat block for a dark flame Wight, and make a note that any spawn created by it, are also dark flame wights. I hope you enjoy

John

Last edited:

drexes

First Post
Simple, quick and easy, I like it. I really like the fast healing being determined by hit dice, so as to make more viable at higher power levels...Following the same logic you could make more powerful dark flame traits, simply making the d6's of both offensive and defensive power increase at a rate of 1 per five hit dice. I don't even think that would neccesitate an increasing CR bump as 1d6 fire becomes less and less effective as PC's level... Just a thought...

Drexes

Corvidae

First Post
While I think that the +2 LA may be a little high,

I think one of the things however, is the fact that they are recieving damage both when they attack the wight, and when the wight attacks them. I don't want it to be too powerful, as this template could even be used with zombies or skeletons. I don't think that almost doubling the damage output of weak undead would be worth only one CR jump.

But, if people agree that it is too high, I will change it.

John

Interesing template.. one thing that would make it really nasty is to have an accelerated Spawn, where instead of waiting days for the new undead to raise its a matter of rounds..something like 1D6 + creatures HD {this gives higher level people more time to futx around before becoming unraisable..}

That would definately put it in the realm of +2 CR if not higher.

Did you mean the additional damage negated by Fire AND Evil DR, or Fire OR Evil?

Corvidae

First Post
Okay, the damage dealt by the fire enhancement is both fire and evil. But I wanted to give the natural attack of the creature the evil subtype, if only for fluff reasons. Perhaps I should make it deal an additional (+1/2 hit die) points of damage to living creatures. That would make it evil in my opinion.

In other words, the fire is both fire and evil damage, you need to negate both or there is no effect. And the attack itself counts as evil.

John

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads