• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Template spell-like abilities, racial HD and levels

Jarval

Explorer
Are the spell-like abilities gained at varying numbers of Hit Dice from templates such as the Half-Celestial only gained from racial HD, or from racial HD + HD gained from class levels?

Thanee

First Post
Intuitively, I'd guess racial only, but that's far from being sure. :)

The Smite ability would probably be based on total HD, so maybe the SLAs are, too?
It also says specifically to exclude class HD from skill points, and nothing like that for the SLAs.

So it probably figures in all HD.

Bye
Thanee

Infiniti2000

First Post
If it doesn't specify racial hit dice, then it must apply to any hit dice. Keep in mind though that inherited templates will likely only apply to racial hid dice by virtue of them being inherited. To apply to class levels, the template would have to be acquired (not inherited at birth).

Jarval

Explorer
Infiniti2000 said:
If it doesn't specify racial hit dice, then it must apply to any hit dice. Keep in mind though that inherited templates will likely only apply to racial hid dice by virtue of them being inherited. To apply to class levels, the template would have to be acquired (not inherited at birth).
So template abilities don't scale as the templated creature advances then? For example, if you apply the celestial template to a wolf, and that wolf at a later date advances to 4 HD, does it gain the 5/magic damage reduction listed for a 4 HD creature with the celestial template, or is it still using the listing for its starting 2 HD value?

Infiniti2000

First Post
It's just not specific about what happens when you gain hit dice (as a class or not). I'd say that any abilities scale with the hit dice (racial or not) unless the acquired template specifically says otherwise. Inherited templates are a little different, but not necessarily (thus my vagueness). It's just plain not well-defined, so you would be perfectly within the rules to say that all special abilities scale with all templates.

shilsen

Adventurer
Jarval said:
Are the spell-like abilities gained at varying numbers of Hit Dice from templates such as the Half-Celestial only gained from racial HD, or from racial HD + HD gained from class levels?
Unless the template specifies one way or the other, I'd count it for all HD. The half-fiend example supports this, since the Half-Fiend Clr7 (no racial HD) has the Sp abilities of a 7 HD half-fiend.

Remove ads