• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Templates (as in "mosnters")

BlackJaw

First Post
I'm starting to pull togeather a couple ideas for mosnter tempaltes.

Basicaly I don't think we should make a list of new mosntes. we have been trying hard not to pigeon hole this project into a single style or "assumed setting" and monsters are one place that settings get their style/feel from. I'd rather we provide just a couple of templates that could be added to monsters already around (so DMs can get the feel they want on their own) so what we need to figure is what kind of tempates are good:

A template for making a normal ground based mosnter flight based. IE: give it wings without to much else probably make it bit more dexterous in the proccess. Winged Hydra, Winged skeletons, etc. note that it doesn't have to give it wings... a flying tempalte might have a few options? magic flight... because a stone golem with big stone wings just doesn't seem right... but if it just sort of magiclay hovers around. well then you can call it magic.

A tempalte for making a creature into a flying mount. IE: standard bat (tiny animal) + tempalte= large taimed flying mount? For those fantasy settings where everying flies on giant winged animals and all.

A template for making a creature live in space. Vacum immunity, natural armor boost, etc. stuff good for space mosnters that attack ships. Kraken + template = space kraken. best if applied to mosnters that swim or fly.

In all the cases I'd like to use a little leway to make options. if you have ever read through the ghost template, or lich tempalte, they have powers to pick from for the final monster. I'd like options like "does not breath" and "air parasite" One means the space kraken doesn't breath air... the other is a special attack it makes to leach air from foe... like out of a space ship its grappled.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
That is definitely the right approach to take. I'd like to see those.

In the middle of filming right now but hopefully next week I'll be able to get some more Components set up. It's coming, it really is.

Remove ads