• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Temporary Craft skill boosts

JustABill

First Post
I am looking for a way to boost various craft skills for use with the Fabricate and the Unseen Crafter spells. For the Fabricate, any bonus would be helpful, for the Unseen Crafter, it looks like ranks would be necessary. In either case, it doesn't look like duration would be much of an issue.

I know that I could create a wondrous item giving a continuous bonus to one particular craft skill, but since I'd need to make one for each craft skill, its probably more trouble than its worth. Does anyone know of a spell, or minor item that either gives ranks in a craft skill or a bonus to craft skills?

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Heh, just the other day, gmnemo pointed out a Clr2 spell on the WotC site called Guidance of the Avatar.
WotC's "Spellbook" said:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Guidance of the Avatar
Divination
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Level: Clr 2
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Components: V, S
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Casting Time: 1 action
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Range: Touch
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Target: Creature touched
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Duration: 1 minute or until discharged
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Saving Throw: None
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spell Resistance: Yes[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Your deity's chosen avatar imbues the subject with divine power. The creature gets a +20 competence bonus on a single skill check and must choose to use the bonus before making the roll to which it applies.[/FONT]​
It seems to be 3.0e, and I don't know how "official" it is.

Last edited:

krupintupple

First Post
complete champion has a ton of spells that boost skill checks, but really, if the above is allowed, that's where your gravy waterfall can be found.

also, never underestimate the power of competence bonuses from masterwork items. as long as your DM's cool with em, i'd ratchet up one to give myself +10. i like to consider the healer's kit as a +2 heal masterwork item, and the elven cloak as a +5 hide masterwork item. i wager a "goggles of the master craftsman" or a "abacus of patient construction" to be a +5 craft masterwork item, for like 2500gp.

JustABill

First Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll look in Guidance of the Avatar. Not sure if I can use spells not in any book. If I can use it, that should solve my fabricate problem. I may have find a copy of Complete Champion. I had intended to use masterwork tools for the Unseen Crafters. Thanks again.

Remove ads