• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tenser's Floating Disk. Better than Knights Move?

windsofdarkness

First Post
Tenser's Floating disk lasts for 24 hours and only cost's 10g. Anyone could have one with them at all times.

Also, you can, as a move action, move it up to your speed.

Say you place your rogue companion on your floating disk. Now you can move him wherever you like during your turn as a move action.

How is this not better than the Warlord power Knight's Move, which is an encounter utility power that allows one ally to take a move action as a free action?

Also, I had a wizard in my game last Saturday use the disk as a way to avoid difficult terrain as well as traps.

Is this thing too powerful?

Zurai

First Post
windsofdarkness said:
How is this not better than the Warlord power Knight's Move, which is an encounter utility power that allows one ally to take a move action as a free action?
Because, as long as the Rogue stays on the Disk, he can't move independently of your action, and if he moves independently you can't give him an "extra" move action.

The Floating Disk doesn't increase the number of movements the Rogue gets. Knight's Move does.

am181d

Adventurer
Well, for one thing, if you're sitting on a floating disk and waiting for the Wizard to move you, you can't really use your own move action to move. Also, I'm not under the impression that balancing on a floating disk is an effective way to fight.

That said, yes, the disk is cool and useful. I just don't think it's as practical in combat as you do.

szilard

First Post
Ummm... sure. You can move it up to your speed on your turn as a move action.

Of course, if the Rogue moves on its turn, then it gets off the Disk.

I don't see how this is a problem... or particularly powerful.

I suppose it allows a ritual-user to sub in their move actions for another character's... so that the other character can use a minor, move, and standard action all in the same round that the ritual user moves it... That could be good in some cases.

-Stuart

windsofdarkness

First Post
Good answers about the Knight's move question but what about the wizard just sitting on it to avoid traps and difficult terrain?

At one point last Saturday I had a stairwell filled with traps triggered by stepping on particular steps.

The party's wizard ferried each player down those stairs one at a time and bypassed the entire thing.

I don't have a problem with that happening once but I began to become fearful that this lvl 1 ritual would trivialize all pressure plate type traps.

Makaze

First Post
I don't have a problem with that happening once but I began to become fearful that this lvl 1 ritual would trivialize all pressure plate type traps.
Detected pressure plate traps always have and always will be trivial.

Surgoshan

First Post
As an advantage to the player, you can state that the disk moves at a running pace. And then, as further advantage, you can state that it doesn't set off pressure plate traps.

Then, as a disadvantage, you can string piano wire across the passage and cut the PC's head off.

Pbartender

First Post
Also, if the disk more than 5 squares away from the caster for 2 consecutive rounds, the disk disappears.

That means the rogue can't be more than 25 feet away from from the caster... And he can be up to 50 feet away for one round, before having to be reeled back in to 25 feet.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
windsofdarkness said:
How is this different from using 10-ft.-poles? And the rest of the party will still run into them, unless you see them and Tenser the whole party over it... but then, you could also hop over them or throw stones on them, until they trigger.

Cheers, LT.

heh..

The disk floats a foot above the ground.. so put an illusion covered pit smack in the middle of your obviously pressure senstive-trapped staircase.
Something someone walking down would get a save to fall prone at the edge of if ....

:)

But I agree, this looks like a valid use of the power and should be able to work most of the time, as a reward to the player who came up with using it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads