Tension in combat

Stalker0

Legend
I'm currently using what I call a combat escalation system in my campaign. It seems to have worked out pretty well so far. Essentially:
1. After the first round of combat, everyone (PCs and monsters) gains a +1 bonus to damage. This increases by +1 at the start of each subsequent round.

2. After the bonus to damage rolls increases to +2 or more, everyone gains a bonus to attack rolls equal to half the bonus to damage.

3. After the bonus to attack rolls increases to +2 or more, everyone's crit range increases by half the bonus to attack rolls.​
To help keep track of the variable bonuses, I made up a set of cards (attached) and at the start of each combat round, I just put the card for the new combat round on the table.

Ah I remember this system. I'm glad to hear you made cards and did it that way, I'm sure its a lot easier to track!

Aegeri

First Post
That may be. In which case, the trick is to balance the benefits so that it's worth altering those tactics, at least some of the time. As I said, those were off the top of my head; it's possible they need to be more robust. I don't think that invalidates the concept, though.
I've actually found the simplest and most brutally effective way of doing this is to not show your entire hand at the start of combat. I like to have encounters where creatures will reinforce on another round, such as round 3/4. I've ever had a normal EL encounter (or most commonly, EL-1) and then suddenly introduced a solo on round 3/4 (making a tough EL+3 or EL+4 encounter). This has the effect - after the PCs change pants - of making them scramble very hard to keep up with the fresh enemies coming in. It also instills some paranoia, because they are never 100% of what enemies I have held in reserve that encounter. After a while, the variations add up to PCs being a bit more cautious and not trying to "alpha strike" every encounter immediately.

Because let me assure you, when your alpha strike backfires and that solo turns up on round 4 you are in deep crap. This is rather similar to having hazardous terrain or traps develop during an encounter as well.

Kerranin

First Post
I'm currently using what I call a combat escalation system in my campaign. It seems to have worked out pretty well so far. Essentially:
1. After the first round of combat, everyone (PCs and monsters) gains a +1 bonus to damage. This increases by +1 at the start of each subsequent round.

2. After the bonus to damage rolls increases to +2 or more, everyone gains a bonus to attack rolls equal to half the bonus to damage.

3. After the bonus to attack rolls increases to +2 or more, everyone's crit range increases by half the bonus to attack rolls.​
To help keep track of the variable bonuses, I made up a set of cards (attached) and at the start of each combat round, I just put the card for the new combat round on the table.
I can see that this would reduce grind, but doesn't it also encourage the 'alpha strike' mentality?

I do like the idea of holding big monsters in reserve, you only have to do this once in a while, players get paranoid very easily. ;)

My answer to this has always been to throw the highest damage monsters I can find at the PCs of about the right level. Three to four rounds of utter brutality then the combat's over most of the time.

GRStrayton

First Post
In addition to some other house rules, I use morale checks for monsters/NPCs that usually start to occur around the middle of the combat. After that, there's a chance every round some or all of the opponents will flee or surrender, thus ending the battle. Here's the link for anyone interested (skip down to the Combat Sequence) in the pdf.

Exploration Sequences « Legends & Labyrinths

Last edited:

FireLance

Legend
I can see that this would reduce grind, but doesn't it also encourage the 'alpha strike' mentality?
I think it works both ways - the monsters hit more easily and deal more damage as the fight goes on, but the PCs' best powers also have a better chance to hit and crit.

Aegeri

First Post
My answer to this has always been to throw the highest damage monsters I can find at the PCs of about the right level. Three to four rounds of utter brutality then the combat's over most of the time.
I am just pleased that since MM3 has come out, combined with what I already knew about encounter design and similar, I haven't needed above an EL+2 to challenge my players in months. That's what really pleases me.

LostSoul

Adventurer
In addition to some other house rules, I use morale checks for monsters/NPCs that usually start to occur around the middle of the combat. After that, there's a chance every round some or all of the opponents will flee or surrender, thus ending the battle.

Do you find that morale checks for each monster are worth it?

I have the leader make the check and apply that to the whole group. I just figure it's easier, though rolling for each character should be more interesting.

I also specified that failing a morale check requires a change of tactics, not necessarily surrender or retreat. (In a recent game, giant ants decided to frenzy on the PC who downed one of their number.)

GRStrayton

First Post
Do you find that morale checks for each monster are worth it?

I have the leader make the check and apply that to the whole group. I just figure it's easier, though rolling for each character should be more interesting.

I also specified that failing a morale check requires a change of tactics, not necessarily surrender or retreat. (In a recent game, giant ants decided to frenzy on the PC who downed one of their number.)

I do make checks for each monster -- but then again, I typically don't have many monsters involved in my combats. I opt for fewer, but higher level monsters (I don't use the official encounter system at all). By the time I start rolling morale checks, we're usually at the halfway point of the battle, so most if not all of the minions are already dead (I actually do use quite a number of minions when I include them in a battle). In general, my battles are short (2-3 rounds, though they're still resource-draining for the party -- see my house rules for how I accomplish that; it has to do with severely limiting healing), except for occasional major encounters (which can run up to 6 or 7 rounds).

When morale breaks for a particular monster (note that I roll for morale at the beginning of its turn), I simply have it do its best to escape (and still survive, i.e., it tries to avoid opportunity attacks if it can) or, as a last resort, surrender. For me the game is about exploration, so I like to end battles quickly (if they occur -- and my players have learned the hard way not to engage in every opportunity for battle).

Again, my house rules help make this all make more sense. For example, I only give 50% xp for defeated monsters, but I do give out 1 xp per 1 gp removed from the dungeon (a la 1st edition). And I increase monetary treasure by a factor of 10, since PCs in my games spend a lot of money on building strongholds, towers, temples, hide-outs or researching other dungeons to explore or new rituals or martial practices, etc.

For anyone interested in the exploration-based play-style I run, you can check out the files under "Core L&L" here:

Legends & Labyrinths

Remove ads