• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Term Confusion in KOTS, help!

satori01

First Post
Ok so I get KOTS yesterday. I only have time to read the quick rules and immediately I see the the dwarf fighter gets a + 5 bonuses to Poison saves.

So if the Dwarf is hit by a poison effect with ongoing damage the save he needs to roll is 5 or above? Or is this referring to adding to his Defense re: poison and using the term Saving Throw in its 3.X meaning? I agree with the poster that said they should have used another term then Saving Throw for the duration mechanic, people are going to be confused while they attempt to
rewrite the neural pathways in their 3.5 wired brain.

Does anyone know what being knocked prone does mechanically? Do enemies get Combat Advantage over you? The Fighter has a power that knocks you prone but no definition of what prone does in the quick rules.

Likewise Streetwise & Heal are listed as skills, but they did not get the meager description that other skill received.

Lay on Hands is also similiarily confusing. It is an At Will power you can use once per day?! Whaaaa?! Hmm I may not have a PHD in Logic, but should that not be a *Daily* power?
Does anyone know which one it is? Is their some subtlety to an At Will power you can use Once per day I am not comprehending at this point.

I am a bit disappointed that Lay on Hands only heals others and not the Paladin. Do Evil & Neutral Paladins get different abilities.....Lay on Hands seems a bit selfless for an Neutral or Evil worshiper of a god, unless they are trying to wolf in sheep's clothing converts. The Fighter has more self healing than the Paladin at this point.

Damage output still seems geared to Melee in this game. The Fighter has a Daily that does 6d6 damage at first level against 1 enemy. The Wizard has Sleep where if the Targets are hit they are slowed, and if they fail their first coin toss Saving Throw mechanic they fall asleep. Of course no Coup De Grace mechanic is defined, nor is Slowed in the quick rules so who knows what those mean now. The Saving Throw as a duration mechanic for ongoing effects seems a bit arbitrary. Sure your ability to hit and Defenses goes up in level, but the Wizard it strikes me, is going to be much more subjected to the whims of fate than the Fighter, because I suspect the class will have more Ongoing effects that can be just as easily removed as from a 1 level orc or from a mighty 30 level dragon.

This was my complaint about spellscasters in 3.x especially at high level....too subjected to randomness due to the sheer number of dice rolls. Some spells required a roll to hit, a roll to beat spell resistance, and Saving Throws that could negate the entire spell.......meanwhile the Fighter whacks the monster and just rolls damage, only dealing with the often negligible Damage Resistance.

Also regarding Sleep, how does one Crit with it? The Fighter can potentially do max dmg on 6d6....how does one crit with Sleep, and yet you still have to roll. Fairness to me would be if a critical hit is not possible under the rules, either make an exception based critical hit effect built into the power, or do not require a to hit roll.

I am going to read more, but my great fear is that this is going to be in many creative ways a very restrictive version of the game. I read the big bads stats, no character level, designed soley as a monster which is fine...but he has this power called Rod of Ruin, where the flavor is he is emulating some of Orcus' power....pretty cool. Now you know some PC is going to want to play with the Rod of Ruin....and the rules pretty much state for anyone else it is just a stick.

Not very epic, a curse magic item, or one with serious drawbacks seems a better choice, but maybe that is just me.

Last edited:

Valerion Steele

First Post
i think the +5 to poison means indeed that the save is made at 5+...
and lay on hands may be used a number of times equal to your wis mod and it´s one creature target , including the paladin...
knocked prone and slowed are desribed in the dm rules in the adventure book....

Knight Otu

First Post
satori01 said:
Ok so I get KOTS yesterday. I only have time to read the quick rules and immediately I see the the dwarf fighter gets a + 5 bonuses to Poison saves.

So if the Dwarf is hit by a poison effect with ongoing damage the save he needs to roll is 5 or above? Or is this referring to adding to his Defense re: poison and using the term Saving Throw in its 3.X meaning?
It's referring to the saving throw, the d20 roll to end an effect (such as ongoing poison damage). Why would it use the 3.5 meaning when it is a 4E product?

satori01 said:
Lay on Hands is also similiarily confusing. It is an At Will power you can use once per day?! Whaaaa?! Hmm I may not have a PHD in Logic, but should that not be a *Daily* power?
It is an at-will power that is limited to a number of uses per day based on Wisdom.

satori01 said:
Also regarding Sleep, how does one Crit with it? The Fighter can potentially do max dmg on 6d6....how does one crit with Sleep, and yet you still have to roll. Fairness to me would be if a critical hit is not possible under the rules, either make an exception based critical hit effect built into the power, or do not require a to hit roll.
A crit does maximum damage, and IIRC auto-hits. Sleep deals no damage. So a crit with sleep only auto-hits. Not every attack power needs a special critical hit, and sleep can still miss.

Jack99

Adventurer
Slowed gives you speed 2, and presumably you aren't able to shift (this is still uncertain afaik)

edit: Knocked prone gives adjacent foes combat advantage. I seem to recall a bonus against ranged attacks, but not sure if it isn't just an 3.x-ism. Ranged attacks are at -2 to hit, and you move at ½ speed

edit2: heal skill is dc15? to stabilize a dying character, dc20? to grant a saving throw. Is it possible to activate another's healing surge. Don't know.

As to the damage of melees vs casters, I can only say that in 50% of all the encounters I have run in 4e, the wizard, who btw isn't a striker, has been owning all the rest, due to his AE-spells.

Cheers

Last edited:

LowSpine

First Post
satori01 said:

If I was to rule it this is my logic:

A crit causes maximum damage, or looked at another way, maximum effect.

The maximum effect of a sleep spell is sleep.

So I would rule that the individual target that a crit is rolled against automatically falls asleep - with save to end.

It would be nice if they put crit effects (for non-damage) in the power description.

Last edited:

Duckforceone

First Post
yes if you roll high enough on a heal check, if they have a second wind remaining, and a heal surge, you activate that second wind and uses one of their surges.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
satori01 said:

So if the Dwarf is hit by a poison effect with ongoing damage the save he needs to roll is 5 or above? Or is this referring to adding to his Defense re: poison and using the term Saving Throw in its 3.X meaning? I agree with the poster that said they should have used another term then Saving Throw for the duration mechanic, people are going to be confused while they attempt to
rewrite the neural pathways in their 3.5 wired brain.

When the dwarf rolls to end ongoing poison damage or effect, they get a +5 to their roll. The term Save has only one meaning in 4e. What was called a "Saving Throw" in 3.5 is now a Defense.

Does anyone know what being knocked prone does mechanically? Do enemies get Combat Advantage over you? The Fighter has a power that knocks you prone but no definition of what prone does in the quick rules.

Likewise Streetwise & Heal are listed as skills, but they did not get the meager description that other skill received.

The Adventure text for DMs in KotS has a section that discuses this. Prone is a condition and its effects are detailed specifically.

Does anyone know which one it is? Is their some subtlety to an At Will power you can use Once per day I am not comprehending at this point.

Lay on hands is a special case in that the number of times you can use it is restricted to the paladin's wisdom modifier.

I am a bit disappointed that Lay on Hands only heals others and not the Paladin. Do Evil & Neutral Paladins get different abilities.....Lay on Hands seems a bit selfless for an Neutral or Evil worshiper of a god, unless they are trying to wolf in sheep's clothing converts. The Fighter has more self healing than the Paladin at this point.

I don't have the book in front of me, but why couldn't they use it to heal themselves? Of course it does use your own healing surges, but it provides a way to heal without using Second Wind. IRC, you are always considered your own ally.

Damage output still seems geared to Melee in this game. The Fighter has a Daily that does 6d6 damage at first level against 1 enemy. The Wizard has Sleep where if the Targets are hit they are slowed, and if they fail their first coin toss Saving Throw mechanic they fall asleep. Of course no Coup De Grace mechanic is defined, nor is Slowed in the quick rules so who knows what those mean now.

Slowed, and Coup De Grace are explained in the DM portion of the Quick Start rules.

Dayspire

Explorer
Ok, here's one. And rather than start a new thread, I'll ask it here. Some goblins have the "Skirmish" ability. I'm not entirely sure how it works. Any help?

Skirmish +1d6
If, on its turn, the goblin warrior ends its move at least 4 squares away from its starting point, it deals +1d6 damage on its attacks until the start of its next turn.

Does this mean that as long as it doesn't move more than 2 squares per round, it will always get +1d6..?

Kordeth

First Post
Dragonblade said:
IRC, you are always considered your own ally.

No you're not, unless the power or effect specifically says "you or your ally/allies." This was defined in the Powers excerpt from a while back.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads