• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Terrorism arrests on my doorstep (almost)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Truth

reveal said:
That's the third time you've come in, complained, and then said "Goodbye, you won't see me again" or something to that effect. Is it really gonna happen this time? :\
If I am not unfairly maligned, then yes.

reveal

Adventurer
The Thayan Menace said:

Then stop playing the martyr. Stop saying "I have nothing more to say" or "Good day" only to show up later. Just state your piece and be done with it. Or just stop reading this thread. Why do these peoples opinions of you matter so much? It's not like your honor is at stake. Some people on a message board disagree with you and/or don't like you. It's not that big of a deal.

Faoiltiarna

First Post
reveal said:
That's the third time you've come in, complained, and then said "Goodbye, you won't see me again" or something to that effect. Is it really gonna happen this time? :\

Amen Reveal!! As for Thayan's complaint about his character being defamed, all I can do is quote my mom, "That is the pot calling the kettle black."

It had appeared to me that Thayan started the defaming and then took offense when those of us with more sensitivity and empathy stood up for S'mon. Here is another favorite saying of my mom's btw Thayah, if you choose to respond to this post, "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

To those folks in London: I hope and pray that your current troubles end soon without anymore loss of life (including those of innocent folks who are suspected of wrongdoing). It is a crazy world we are living in and I will never understand the motivation of some who think killing innocent men, women, and children will further their cause. In my moral book terrorists are cowardly, cold-blooded murderers and acts of terrorism are not political acts, but vicious attacks upon innocent bystanders. To me, they are no better than gang-bangers involved in drive-by shootings or serial killers who prey upon the weak.

Take care everyone and be safe in this unsafe world of ours.

MTR

First Post
The Thayan Menace said:

Thayan, you might try reading your first posts as if written by somebody else. They did come across as, shall I say, less than sympathetic. Example 1 billion of how easy it is to misrepresent your views on the internet.

DM_Matt

First Post
diaglo said:
yeah, he doesn't live in the US

Sigh. Where I live the army starts patrolling the metro with rifles and whatnot whenever anything goes wrong anywhere in the world. Believe it or not, some people, dare I say, many people, actually have a great deal of respect for the police and soldiers who put their lives on the line day in and day out to keep us safe, and don't really mind giving them quite a bit of leeway (so long as there is judicial oversight, warrants for everything, due process of law, etc) in investigating serious crimes. Yes, police make mistakes, but I'd give them the benefit of the doubt before Joe Arrestee any day of the week, and so long as they meet their legal burden before a judge they can look at any of my stuff they want. These people are heroes, and deserve our support.

I do not feel unfree because i have to stand in line in an airport or because the police can get a warrant to check out my use of the people's public libraries and wait a week or two before telling me. I feel unfree to the extent that I fear that someone is going to blow be up on my way to work or threaten the continued existence of civilization as I know it. I feel unfree knowing that true, pure, cosmic evil exists and sometimes has the ability to express itself in force .

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Good Idea

reveal said:
Why do these peoples opinions of you matter so much? It's not like your honor is at stake. Some people on a message board disagree with you and/or don't like you. It's not that big of a deal.
You know, you have an excellent point.

Maybe it's my lack of sleep, but you sound right.

I should just let it go.

I think I will do just that.

Last edited:

Psionicist

Explorer
DM_Matt said:
I do not feel unfree because i have to stand in line in an airport or because the police can get a warrant to check out my use of the people's public libraries and wait a week or two before telling me. I feel unfree to the extent that I fear that someone is going to blow be up on my way to work or threaten the continued existence of civilization as I know it. I feel unfree knowing that true, pure, cosmic evil exists and sometimes has the ability to express itself in force .

Google "Jose Padilla".

DM_Matt

First Post
Psionicist said:
Google "Jose Padilla".

I am familiar with that case. The legal system has grey areas and adapts through ruling on such cases when they came up. There was a legitimate grey area, the line was tested, and the courts ruled it was stepped over. I even happen to largely agree with the court's ruling that the line was stepped over.

On the other hand, Padilla is the exception that proves the rule. Its easy to name the few people who wind up getting really screwed, although in Padilla's case it is more of an issue of him being pursued through what turned out to be the wrong process rather than him necessarily being innocent. That is the process, and I have yet to see one that I like better. This was an example of the system working, not the system failing. I never said that everyone who is arrested is guilty, after all, although at the very least Padilla certainly was a wannabe BBEG.

Last edited:

Note that there was a bomb scare on a bus in NY a few days ago. There were a few young men on the bus with "mysterious bulges in their pockets." The police were called and they searched EVERYONE on the bus, not just the guys with bulging pockets.

I'm all for stopping lunatic bombers, but I don't want to be searched just because I happed to be in close proximity to a suspect in public.

Random searches by the police based on flimsy assumptions and draconian laws smacks of Nazism.

We need to protect our selves from BOTH kinds of terrorists.

(edited)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads