• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Testing the ENworld censorship filter.

Cwheeler

First Post
I just put up a post in another forum that used a word meaning 'to chortle maliciously, and part of it got censored.

The word was (Minus the . ) sni.gger

which came out s:):):):):):).

It looks like it detected 'derogatory word for people who naturally have lots of melanin', and screened it out.

how interesting. I wonder how many other words don't make it through. has anyone tested it?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
how interesting. I wonder how many other words don't make it through. has anyone tested it?

As a moderator, I respectfully request that you not try. The filter there to keep this place family friendly. Intentionally testing it would be like walking onto a TV show set, and spewing out a bunch of nasty language to see what will and won't get beeped. Honestly, we expect our posters to be a bit more mature than to need to do that.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I resemble that remark.

Gonna be awhile?
250px-Snickers_wrapped.jpg

(FYI: Linked YouTube video may not be work friendly - it's a MAD TV sketch...)

Mod edit: dude, if it is NSFW, don't post it here.

B-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Odhanan

Adventurer
Honestly, we expect our posters to be a bit more mature than to need to do that.
Hardly surprising.

If a filter is needed, this means a sizeable percentage of the readership is deemed irresponsible, and thus immature, by the moderation, since the responsibility of choosing their words on their own is taken away from them.

A worthier educational expectation would be for people to be mature enough as to not need any language filter whatsoever. A missed opportunity, if you ask me. :)

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If a filter is needed, this means a sizeable percentage of the readership is deemed irresponsible, and thus immature, by the moderation, since the responsibility of choosing their words on their own is taken away from them.

That's not the only reason to have a filter, and "a sizeable percentage" is a bit misleading.

EN World has a major goal of being family friendly. That means we have a very low tolerance for the appearance of some language on the boards. The percentage of posters who would be willing to use the language does not have to be "sizable" to exceed that tolerance.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

As Umbran points out, it has nothing to do with a sizeable percentage. it's about a few bad apples, coupled with the fact that we can't moderate 24/7 so a little automation helps. Same with the automated spam filter.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads