• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Testing the waters? possible short pbp game

Snowy

Explorer
I've finished university this summer and havent found myself a job yet.

So its been a long summer of no DnD and none on the horizon till I get myself sorted and move out of home to whereever I end up.

As you do, I have started planning my next campaign or my next campaign world at least. I've also spent a lot of time reading enworld storyhours and pbps.

I'm thinking about testing soem of my ideas for my campaign and my world as well as trying out this here play-by-post thingymabob.

If I do so (and assuming anyone fancies it) it'll probably be run quite slowly to make sure I don't make any grevious mistakes and I'll be pretty bad at it at first (though hopefully I'll get better fast).

To give some idea about me.

Not been playing that long a year or so. Keen on prestige classes and custimisation if people aren't quite happy with their class/pre-requisites/options.
I'm more than happy to go with the flow and the game will contain combat, mystery solving, and social interaction. Hopefully a good mix. I'd prefer not to run any actual PvP combat, small PvP arguments are fine, if it has to happen, it happens, but I'll try and arrange things and ask players to design characters to avoid it. (This isn't me necessarily thinking its bad I just don't think I could handle it well over a table let alone over the net)

I'd be looking for anywhere between 2-6 characters - I'll decide on what interest I have and what I have that seems suitable.

I'll provide a rough background below and flesh it out with what youd know when I find out if anyones interested.

Right. Details.

Starting level -------- Probably between 3 to 6 depending upon campaign.

Classes --------- PHB 3.5 and complete series slightly modified.
No samurai, ninja, warmage, sorceror or wu jen

alterations --------- Druid uses alternate wildshape (aspect of nature) from
unearthed arcana.

If people have alternate bards or rangers
or paladins they love I'll consider them

If anyone shows interest there will be a mix of a
psion/soulknife/telepath that isn't written yet but
shouldn't be too hard (basically gets the sword later and
gets a few psion powers).

Toughness is replaced by improved toughness (with out the
pre-requisite)

Divine feats don't exist.

Dodge counts against everyone all the time (as in just gives
+1 dodge bonus to AC)

Minor stuff with prestige classes that I dont know but will
decide on discussion with someone who wants to play one.

There are three main areas I wouldnt mind trying out.

A investigative sneaky hazardous enemies type plot. set in a city built on a river delta next to a jungle.

A plotweb involved with some big bad guys that are invading from off plane (modified
cosmology) lots of travelling deserts mountains

Some city based fetch and carry, research work, theft and persuasion odd jobs given by patron with some interlinking (this will be the worst one as I'm still vague on how to run it
but if I find victims for it I would give it a fair stab)

If anyone showing interest picks one of these I'll run the most popular.

The World.

The world is a basic prime material. There are several city states with linking trade routes. Each City has a surrounding area of land which it is supported by and defends against the wilderlands.
The wilderlands are those areas between the cities inhabited by tribes and peoples who are either too savage too primitive or too different to fit in with the cities.
While life is fairly easy in the cities with regular work, food and shelter being available there are many whose jobs take them to the edges of civilisation and risk life and limb (there is often misunderstanding from true CityFolk as too how easy/dangerous life outside the shelter of the cities can be.
Elves, Humans, Halflings and Dwarves are common. (Each having a city at least). Ruuks are common in the desert (though seldom seen) rare elsewhere.

Half orcs called Ruuks inhabit the deserts in a nomadic culture and can be found in other places earning money and knowledge or seeking glory. Their life in the desert is harsh and unforgiving (think fremen from dune and you wont go far wrong). They use giant insects as beasts of burden and often capturing young ones for training is a rite of passage (which often conveniently thins out the numbers of teenagers needing to be fed and watered). They are lead by a council of 6 half of druids half of blood magis that meet out justice as they see fit and are expected to be the strongest and most savage of their nation.

Elves are long descended from birds and are often considered (particularly by dwarves) as nothing more than wingless intelligent parrots. They have a prediliction for fine wines and sweet foods tend towards chaotic behaviour. Lead by a group of Warlocks (fey heritage).

Dwarves are creatures of the mountains, they mine the deep mines and they climb the highest peaks. Often quiet, often alone, they are thought of as wise and thoughtful by those that respect them (but don't know them) or as aloof and slow by those that care not for them. Lead by the churches many and various faiths.

Humans are found every where doing just about everything there are savage tribes outside of cities, merchants galore, sailors and shysters. Mainly ruled by merchants councils or village elders (not necessarily of great magical or warlike skills)

Halflings have a strong sense of community, they are fiercely protective of those they consider family or friends (the word clan is often used by them to mean both) many paladins and righters of wrongs have come from this race, though their quickness to anger and desire for vengance often causes trouble and crisis of faith)

No half elves or half whatevers they are different races and don't breed.

There are other races though only cenataurs, salamanders, kobolds and lizardmen are commonly known about.

Hmmmm I seem to have written a lot and not said much. I'll leave it here for now. If theres any interest I'll fill it out more, and answer any questions people might have. If someone wants to ask questions about the world/races/classes whatever with otu wanting to play please ask cos it'll proabably be something I've either forgotten to write down or think of.

colindownes

First Post
I'd be willing to hop onboard. This would be my first go with play by post roleplaying too, but if you're ok with overlooking my inexperience, I'd be interested in joining.

I'm thinking an elven warlock, perhaps. Gimme a while and I'll grind out a concept write-up.

Last edited:

Chaos Sword

First Post
I am also interested in joining and it would be my first play be post too. If that is allright let me know. I will be thinking about a character concept. I only have the PHB so it will be from that.

scout989

First Post
I'd be interested in joining the game. I've been PbPing for a while now (not that long, but a while), so I'm also happy to help answer any questions you have. I'll likewise try to post a character concept today or tomorrow.

G

Guest 11456

I'm interested. I vote for planar invaders. Will any of the non-standard races mentioned above be available to play?

Tailspinner

Voadam

Legend
So ruuks are their own full race with half orc stats? I like that.

How often do you want post commitments from players?

scout989

First Post
ll right, I think my basic charaqcter concept will be a human or elven fighter, an archer in the defense corps of (insert appropriate city-state here). He knows very little about the dangers of living in the wilderness, but of course he has heard stories. While dealing with the problems that come out of the woods while patrolling, he's found within himself a desire to brave the wilderness and see what there is out there.
I also vote for the planar invaders scenario, and as soon as I know more info on the game, I can flesh out his background.

Remove ads