• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Teutini (A C&C Setting)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I'm working on a free fan-created C&C setting inspired by Aztec mythology and the premise of "hunting giant, bestial, dragons". Right now I need to get some feedback (what seems to work well, what doesn't, etc). Anything that you can offer in the vein of constructive criticism is welcome and desired. You can download the preview document here or from its new home at C&C Player.

[Note: I was going to post about this at Troll Lord's forums, but their new forums don't like Opera, apparently.]

Last edited:

Turanil

First Post
jdrakeh said:
I'm working on a free fan-created C&C setting inspired by Aztec mythology
I will get a look at this when I am back home (right now I will have to resume work...) Anyway, at first sight, wouldn't an Aztec-like setting preferably use True20 rather than C&C? I would say C&C works well for Greyhawk and similar pseudo European worlds, but I am dubious about its classes in an Aztec-like world... :\

Treebore

First Post
Turanil said:
I will get a look at this when I am back home (right now I will have to resume work...) Anyway, at first sight, wouldn't an Aztec-like setting preferably use True20 rather than C&C? I would say C&C works well for Greyhawk and similar pseudo European worlds, but I am dubious about its classes in an Aztec-like world... :\

cncplayer.net has a classs deconstruction download available from Serlerans link that helps you custom build your own classes with the appropriate xp progression.

So we just custom design classes to fit whatever setting we want to use.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Turanil said:

Good question. Teutini is a stand alone setting that uses the C&C system, but not all of the options (and, remember, classes and races are optional - they don't have to exist in every campaign setting). As it stands, Teutini has its own setting-specific races (in this case, two human cultures) and classes (Wyrm Shaman and Reaver), with a few rules for integrating two existing C&C classes (Fighters and Wizards) into the setting.

Teutini is a very focused setting -- it's savage Stone Age adventure, not just in name, but in design. I chose C&C because it works well to model the realities of the setting, without pulling back the focus and watering it down. Plus, it'a good demonstration of how C&C isn't just good for psuedo-European fantasy -- that's what it does by default, but that is by no means what it's limited to.

It's the old "All D&D settings must have elves, dwarves, talking dragoins, etc" syndrome -- people see C&C and forget that, just because an option is in the rule book, doesn't make it a mandatory part of all settings based on said product ;)

Now, as to why I didn't use True20....

First, True20 is built to accommodate highly individual characters -- in a primitive society, there isn't a lot of diversity. The static nature of C&C classes better reflects this reality than the dynamic skill lists and feats of True20 do. True20 is actually my system of choice in many instances, but not in this one -- I felt that it would, specifically because it is designed to be so open, fail to capture a setting so tightly focused.

Second, the focus of C&C rules on combat by design (i.e., its inclusion of detailed rules for combat, but not for social interaction) better suits the premise of the setting (hunting dragons) than the wide open rules landscape of True20. Again, this comes back to the focus of True20 as a system -- it is designed to make possible a great many thing during play, while Teutini is about some very specific things (which is where the focus needs to be).

So, in summation, Teutini is designed for use with C&C (Seige Engine) because that system keeps the focus tight and on all the elements it needs to highlight. True20, while a great system, is better suited to settings with a less focused premise than that of Teutini.

[Note: Teutini will contain notes for slotting it into existing C&C settings (with their elves, dwarves, and talking dragons in all of their glory), but by default, that's not what it is deigned for.]

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Treebore said:
cncplayer.net has a classs deconstruction download available from Serlerans link that helps you custom build your own classes with the appropriate xp progression.

So we just custom design classes to fit whatever setting we want to use.

Ironically, I didn't see that until I submitted Teutini to cncplayer.net (yes, that's its new official home) -- I reverse engineered all of Teutini's classes and races myself. And they're a bit more powerful than your typical C&C fair, but that's intentional -- after all, we're talking about a culture of people born and bred to fight dragons that dwarf even the colossal variety of D&D (Ocuili aren't called "God wyrms" without reason).

I had a distinct image of the mighty Zulu lion hunters in Ghost and The Darkness when I wrotse the section of the Teutini creation myth that deals with the Time of Retaking -- giant hunting parties, nets, spears, and laying siege to an Ocuilin in its lair -- it's all there. If another, outside, culture became aware of the island of Temamauhtican, they'd likely look to exploit its genetically superior warrirors as a natural resource.

And, yes, some of that very intrusion will be dealt with in the finished product ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads