Thanks for All the Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I'm going by a statement that a lurker on CM told me... "This is normal RCK behavior. He done it once before, so just wait a few months to a year and he'll be back."

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Good luck with your RCFRPG, and thanks for your contribution over the years.

Cheers

Well, not as much thanks if he's going through and deleting all his posts...

Though I don't think I've posted much in RCK's threads, I've been interested in most of them and feel that however he feels wronged, he should still leave some of his stuff for those random people who are browsing old threads, would come across his stuff and find use from them. They have nothing to do with this current situation and should remain for the many people who have had nothing to do with this.

Just my opinion for whatever it's worth. I mean seriously, how long would it take to go through 12.5k of posts and delete them all? He should time himself. :)

[I feel glad I missed this thread people seem to be talking about.]

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Aaaaaaand....I STILL have no idea what's going on. Was this "pro-rape thread" on ENWorld or CM? What is this connection to Something Awful? Also not sure what exactly he's upset about, but whatever. I clearly just missed some big thread derailing argument of some sort.

It was a series of threads here on ENWorld by Hunter99 that busted open this wasp nest: 2 of the threads involved discussions of villainous "Knightly" orders within his campaign world that were to be (seemingly) foes for the PCs to fight. They had some nasty ideas about women...which is fine as far as setting up truly vile villains for players to fight.

The problem arose with some of his asides & explanations which at the very least blurred the line between his villains and his personal views. So people complained. Eventually, the threads got locked.

Beyond that, I don't know who got disciplined for what and in what fashion. Clearly, though, somewhere along the way RC got POed.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Well, not as much thanks if he's going through and deleting all his posts...

Don't worry, RavenCrow King hinted to me that there is a possibility that his deleted posts may end-up in a future book he may write/compile.*

* Since that's what happened to many of his earlier deleted posts.:heh:

Last edited:

Asmo

First Post
There´s an interesting (?) comment to the blog from a former ENworlder:

ProfessorCirno said...

Splitting this up due to length.

I think it's worth mentioning that there was no sort of organized forum raid.

Grognards.txt is a thread on SomethingAwful that is literally more then a thousand pages long, devoted towards reposting awful things nerds say and do and laughing/groaning/crying about it, albeit also with some amazing tangents regarding tabletop game design, the nature of Catholicism, understanding privilege, and video game aesthetics vs graphics, to name a few.

When someone (not I, which I specify for hilarious reasons) posted the contents of the EN World threads - all three of them, in fact - we reacted as we would were it to happen anywhere else - shock, revulsion, etc. Your standard "I can't believe he's glorifying rape" reactions. At this time I was still posting at Circvs Maximvs despite having been perma-banned from EN World months earlier for the most boring reason imaginable. I and one or two others brought up these same threads in the "Asshats at EN World" thread and how awful it was, and questioned why the awful posts were allowed, but people stating that they were awful were not allowed.

Morrus reacted poorly when questioned about this. I've come to believe that it came down to a position of privilege - namely, he didn't understand that the "neutral response" would have been to shut the threads down entirely. Instead, he felt that the threads were not in any way insulting or demeaning to women. When he was called on this, the thread quickly grew ugly. Others from grognards.txt showed up after someone else linked the whole thing there.

By the end, Morrus not only refused to listen, regardless of how polite people tried to be in explaining what the problem was, he was stating that I had personally called in some kind of invasion to attack him out of revenge for being banned. I don't even know if he was involved in my banning! Nonetheless, he went so far as to claim that I had created grognards.txt in order to organize this. The thread, I feel the need to mention, was started in 2009. I don't believe I was even posting in EN World then. It didn't matter - Morrus painted me as some sort of batman villain who was leading his mooks to attack him personally, a vicious attack that was aimed at...trying to make him see that rape is bad. Truly a most dastardly plan.

At any rate, it was not any sort of forums sanctified or organized raid. Several posters independently joined CM to try to explain to the forums, some kindly and some abrasively, that he was unintentionally condoning rape. The whole thing ended with Morrus declaring that CM would be shut down. Here is, I think, the appropriate place for mentioning the irony in this, considering CM was meant to be the "rougher" and "thick skinned" opposite of EN World.

Morrus, of course, did not shut down EN World, and wether he intentionally made the empty threat or if he really was going to shut it down will never be known. What is known is that everyone who criticized him (I don't want to name names) were banned not only from CM, but from EN World as well, while those who told people some rather vile things about murder and rape are not only left unbanned but were publically lauded by Morrus.

As for any sort of invasion on EN World, this is where things get a bit more distressing. Again, there was no organized raid against EN World. The thread in the Meta forums was linked to us, and we reacted in tears or laughter as we normally would. One poster from SA - one who was, I feel the need to point out, defending Morrus and EN World - posted in that thread, asking why it was ok to ban those who disagreed with Morrus, but not those who told us that we needed to be raped and murdered in quite a bit of gruesome detail. He was then banned on his post deleted.

It seems that all ones needs to do to constitute a "forums invasion" now is to be a "known poster at SA," a phrase that was used unironically quite a bit at the CM forums.

I know you and I very rarely saw eye to eye, Raven, but I felt this would be the best place to explain what happened from the viewpoint of The Anti-Rape Penguin.

18 July 2011 00:17

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This thread is not to be used to reopen a closed topic please guys, thanks.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
When someone (not I, which I specify for hilarious reasons) posted the contents of the EN World threads - all three of them, in fact - we reacted as we would were it to happen anywhere else - shock, revulsion, etc. Your standard "I can't believe he's glorifying rape" reactions. At this time I was still posting at Circvs Maximvs despite having been perma-banned from EN World months earlier for the most boring reason imaginable. I and one or two others brought up these same threads in the "Asshats at EN World" thread and how awful it was, and questioned why the awful posts were allowed, but people stating that they were awful were not allowed.

Morrus reacted poorly when questioned about this. I've come to believe that it came down to a position of privilege - namely, he didn't understand that the "neutral response" would have been to shut the threads down entirely. Instead, he felt that the threads were not in any way insulting or demeaning to women. When he was called on this, the thread quickly grew ugly. Others from grognards.txt showed up after someone else linked the whole thing there.

By the end, Morrus not only refused to listen, regardless of how polite people tried to be in explaining what the problem was, he was stating that I had personally called in some kind of invasion to attack him out of revenge for being banned. I don't even know if he was involved in my banning! Nonetheless, he went so far as to claim that I had created grognards.txt in order to organize this. The thread, I feel the need to mention, was started in 2009. I don't believe I was even posting in EN World then. It didn't matter - Morrus painted me as some sort of batman villain who was leading his mooks to attack him personally, a vicious attack that was aimed at...trying to make him see that rape is bad. Truly a most dastardly plan.

Looks like pure Cirno BS to me. Having seen the thread on CM, there was not much particularly polite about it, certainly not from Cirno. And at least one other frequent poster here hectored and hectored and hectored and hectored (see a pattern here?) on a personal level.
While I believe the original thread crossed grandma friendly material pretty early on and the mods were slow to react, there were many who made their dislike of the subject matter known in asides and face palms and other methods without hectoring ENWorld moderation, without accusing any of them of supporting rape, and without generally getting themselves banned for poor behavior.

EDIT: Sorry, Morrus. Was still entering this when your mod message came through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads