That was a close victory, indeed!

iwatt

First Post
Do you think you'll run into the children of the BBEGs your other charcaters defeated? Or even them old BBEGs?

It's hard work been the child of over-achievers. :D

Thanee

First Post
So, does anyone else have similar stories of "almost TPKs" (actually wanted to put that question into the initial post... :eek: )?

Bye
Thanee

iwatt

First Post
Thanee said:
So, does anyone else have similar stories of "almost TPKs" (actually wanted to put that question into the initial post... :eek: )?

Bye
Thanee

Well, ....

we were playing the Sunless Citadel and we ran into the Mephit (i think it was). Somehow everybody kept missing and failing saving throws until only the two gnome twins were left. They were a Gnome illusionist (me) and a Gnome rogue (playedby real life brother). These characters had usually been the comedy relief so far*, since small weapon sizes and evocation as a banned school stole our thunder at low levels. We somehow were the only ones left and we kept peppering it with bolts and arrows. I landed a critical hit with my crossbow and ended the battle. But it was a close call.

* we still are the comic relief, but at least my Ilussionist has lately proven to be more powerful than the blaster sorcerer. And I mean powerful in the sense that the party is a whole lot more effective thanks to my efforts :D

dicechild

First Post
I am a DM and I realize this isn't my story but bear with me. The party of one wizard a rougue and two fighters was just entering a cave when they came upon a group of goblins. This being one of my beginning sessions, I had given them powerful weapons. Unfourtunatly, I did not give them brains. So they are in a goblin cave trying to get to the dragon on the lower levels, when they see about five goblins trying to train a worg. Naturally, the worg is pissed. So they obviously must attack. They don't even attempt to sneak up on the goblins just go straight in. I had to give them some challange so I gave them four rounds to kill all of the goblins before the worg broke loose. Well, they dispatched with all of my monsters easily, but they wanted something to show that they had killed a worg. The sorcerer attempted to pull a tooth out and rolled a natural 1. I had to make him take 6 points of damage which put him at about 2. The dwarven fighter tried next, he rolled 1 three times and took 12 points of damage for pure stupidity, he quickly passed out. The final try was with a human fighter. He pulled out one tooth and then I *hinted* it might be better to cut the teeth out. Needless to say, that campaign went downhill from there.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
That sounds like a cool session. By the sounds of it, the diplomacy and charms saved you from a quick death! Just hoping you havn't caught anything nasty during your investigations!

Near TPK stories. We got pretty close about 2 weeks ago. It's the one we posted threads about on the boards:

6 characters - all in the 15th-17th level range, fighting a lich queen, slaadi king and their respective bodyguards. Having managed to turn the king and queen against each other, we turned our efforts towards killing the king. He cut down both our fighters, killed our wizard. Our archer was dominated. The cleric and sorceror were left facing this seemingly unstoppable destruction machine. Cleric hurls his only offensive spell - a searing light. Rolled near max damage and killed him. Good thing too, the two characters had about 15 hit points left between them. :)

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
At the risk of a slight sidetrack...

I get the impression that your group is 2 players + GM. Is that right?

Pretty curious how that plays, smallest group I've ever gamed with is 4. Got a hankering to play a game with just 2-3 players, but it's unlikely to happen.

iwatt

First Post
Inconsequenti-AL said:
At the risk of a slight sidetrack...

Pretty curious how that plays, smallest group I've ever gamed with is 4. Got a hankering to play a game with just 2-3 players, but it's unlikely to happen.

I've personally as a DM come to love 2 person parties. The pace is furious, combat doesn't bog down, and you get a lot of chances to develop the characters.

Thanee

First Post
Inconsequenti-AL said:
By the sounds of it, the diplomacy and charms saved you from a quick death!

I'd say a quick retreat rather. We could have left pretty easily, well ok, easy is a bit much said, but we could have left. ;)

But the diplomacy and charms played in nicely there, without those we would have had no chance at all, which we were quite aware of, too.

Inconsequenti-AL said:
Just hoping you havn't caught anything nasty during your investigations!

More than once, actually (this disease is kind of nasty and the "zombies" infect you with it, once you're dead it's only a short time, until you become a "zombie" yourself... one of our guard-friends suffered this fate).

But we had a little flask with holy water, that was magically enhanced to stop the disease, which I found last session. It's now all used up, tho.

Inconsequenti-AL said:

Nah, our group is usually 5 people, but it happens occasionally that 1-2 have other obligations and then we play with 3-4 sometimes, if there is something reasonable to do with a small party (the above was a rather close call for being a reasonable session for only 2 players :p).

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads