D&D 5E That was CLOSE!

the Jester

Legend
So I was playing my paladin 5/wizard 1, Alaxis, last night. He's a glass cannon, with a Con of 10 and only 42 hp at maximum. We'd seen some enemies coming; I had cast Aid on myself and two of our allies before things went down.

We ended up in a nasty fight with some S3-style robots. I was down to 22 hps and managed to take one down with a massive smite, and it exploded... doing 67 damage. And I failed my save for half damage. I looked at my hps and did the math really quickly in my head- it would only take 64 points to insta-kill me... BUT!

I had cast that aid spell earlier.

Because of that, my max hps were at 47, meaning an insta-kill required.... 68 points of damage. ONE MORE THAN I RECEIVED.

That was my closest call as a pc in 5e to date, and I just had to share.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
So I was playing my paladin 5/wizard 1, Alaxis, last night. He's a glass cannon, with a Con of 10 and only 42 hp at maximum. We'd seen some enemies coming; I had cast Aid on myself and two of our allies before things went down.

We ended up in a nasty fight with some S3-style robots. I was down to 22 hps and managed to take one down with a massive smite, and it exploded... doing 67 damage. And I failed my save for half damage. I looked at my hps and did the math really quickly in my head- it would only take 64 points to insta-kill me... BUT!

Because of that, my max hps were at 47, meaning an insta-kill required.... 68 points of damage. ONE MORE THAN I RECEIVED.

Yep, surviving by a hair is a great memory!

Gotta say though, my current DM (actually getting to play occasionally as opposed to DM!)
LOVES monsters with the bad things happen when they die rider. I'm starting to hate them, and feel pretty bad for the melee people in the group!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yep, surviving by a hair is a great memory!

Gotta say though, my current DM (actually getting to play occasionally as opposed to DM!)
LOVES monsters with the bad things happen when they die rider. I'm starting to hate them, and feel pretty bad for the melee people in the group!
It’s a fun one. I will sometimes mix that and minions that the stronger monster can “eat” to heal.

Oofta

Legend
Uphill both ways? You were LOOKY!

My character took a Long Rest for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank!

Well, pardon me mister hoity toity with your fancy "paper" bags and septic tanks! You know what we had? Dirt! An' it wasn't even good dirt! It was the stuff everybody else rejected! But dagnabbit we ate that dirt and we loved it! Made real men out of us, put hair on our chests!

The womenfolk didn't always like that last part, but they did it anyway. You know why? Because we knew sometimes you just took one for the team. Now get off my lawn. :mad:

Oofta

Legend

On a more serious note, those things are some of the most memorable for me as well, when you just barely make it out. Fun times. :)

Remove ads